BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, was going to remove my front wheel to do a tire change.
I just assumed the correct 22mm drive would be in the underseat tool kit. You know, 18,000 Canadian dollar motorcycle.
No....no one has that size drive for sale where I live.
What a pain.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Here's an old trick - find a nut that fits inside the hex hole (local engineering supplies or hardware shop), if its a reasonably wide nut you can have half of it in the hole and enough protruding to turn with a socket or spanner.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Steve b, that tool in Canada from amazon is $45.00!!! That's right, shipping and handling. Found a 1/2 inch socket drive with 22mm end on amazon for $18.00. It might work once before self destruction.
The BMW part 363691 is $17 and change US....so here (a $70.00 ferry ride away) its probably $30, and u still need a 22mm socket if you want to torque to spec.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cheap solution

I had the same dilemma the other day. So I had a look around the garage and found one of these 22mm spark plug sockets. Modern vehicles do not use these spark plugs anymore and since it was a cheap socket, I cut the rear hex part of the socket with a hack saw (cheap Chinese "chrome vanadium" :wink2: ).

The result is that you have a 22mm hex that can still be attached to a 3/8 rachet/torque wrench to remove and install the axle.

Attachments

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had the same dilemma the other day. So I had a look around the garage and found one of these 22mm spark plug sockets. Modern vehicles do not use these spark plugs anymore and since it was a cheap socket, I cut the rear hex part of the socket with a hack saw (cheap Chinese "chrome vanadium" :wink2: ).

The result is that you have a 22mm hex that can still be attached to a 3/8 rachet/torque wrench to remove and install the axle.
This is what it looks like.

Attachments

Reactions: Clem and joebloggz

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I found a 22mm connector nut that is the same length as the BMW tool and was dirt cheap! Order or buy from a fastener supply store.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'll have to check the adapter I have from a previous bike and see if it fits... :)

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
I'll have to check the adapter I have from a previous bike and see if it fits... :)
You don't actually need this tool for LC models, r0ckrat. The screw cap on the other side (12 mm hex drive) tightens the axle in place, then the clamp screws.

Reactions: r0ckrat and Ontrip

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I still find it useful to have a 22-mm something to turn the axle while I’m pulling it out. I don’t like tapping on it from the other end. With my luck, I’d wreck the threads.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Had purchased mine for my F800r where you must have one, as the axle threads into the fork leg.
It is handy but not a must have on the R12R.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use a bolt and a couple nuts. Welded nuts to bolt or you can locktite them. Use a 22 mm socket and ratchet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts