BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
epic trip, all back roads save for a few necessary highway stretches.

'09 r1200r was a rock as usual. trip up i did solo, trip back with one rider. Yosemite passes was with a tour group (pashnit.com, great group).

tired but still smiling from the countless twists, turns, roads in the middle of nowheresville, and just being away from it all for a few days. love my bike and moto heaven (or what most people call california :clap:)

LA to Yosemite - inland twisties
Yosemite - did the passes for 3 days (senora, ebbetts, monitor, etc)
Yosemite to LA - PCH (Big Sur) and swung inland at San Louis Obispo

when in doubt, ride more...

Premium Member
Using the bike the way it should be used. Nice photos.

Premium Member
Licencing laws must be so different in the US. In the UK you learn on a 125cc and have various limits on power for a few years. It's only when you hit 24 years old and been riding a restricted bike can you get a full power bike. I'm glad I passed my test 30 years ago when it was much simpler.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
yup, no cc restrictions in the US, which is probably a bad thing for most riders to be honest. you really have to know the bare minimum to get a license in the states unfortunately. i take riding seriously though and have done clinics, track days, etc to be a more capable rider and it's paid off for me in terms of being comfortable riding all kinds of roads

Registered
Using the bike the way it should be used. Nice photos.

BUT - so much luggage - were you camping?...........................:iagree:

Registered
So, you did Sonora Pass! Me too. Couple of weeks ago.
That's a trip!
I couldn't believe the sign that warned of 26% grades. 26%!
I went west to east and fortunately had no one in front of me. Patchy snow on the ground.

Mono Lake

Mt Lassen

Did you do 120 from Nv to Lee Vining? There is a section I guess south and east of Lee Vining that says "dips" and it was so fun I had to slow down to keep from catching air, both wheels, on the hundreds of yards of these evenly spaced dips. It truly was more like a rollar coaster than anything else experienced, even 36 in Hill Country.

That is some beautiful riding around there. I went north from there though, up 49 --great road, to Shasta, Cool, Weed and landed in Oregon before weather turned me back. Went along the 101 through Crescent City down to Fortuna then across at Ca 36
Ride report is being posted over on ADVrider. Travels With Blanche DuBois Out West

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
L of S, it was a 6 day trip after all, and i don't wear anything more than once unless it's cleaned :)

strangelove, we did senora, ebbets, monitor, and tayuga passes in yosemite. epic roads, and a great route to and from there both using PCH and inland roads that were hundreds of twists and turns

Registered
Great ride report

I was raised in So Cal although I lived in Mammoth, June Lake, Lee Vining area and backpacked so much of the Sierras during the 60's and early 70's. So many memories you brought back, just by mentioning some highway numbers I would not have been able to recall, yet quickly recognize. Thank you, I miss the west as I have been in the SE for nearly 30 years. good riding here, but my heart is still out west.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
kangaroo i moved here from back east about 2 years ago and california is motorcycle heaven. since moving here i've toured a bunch, done track days, bought a second bike, upgraded both with mods and suspension and took a second job to afford it all :).

seriously, the amount of roads that were made for 2 wheels is staggering

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
weather there is crazy.. when i did the passes last week we were in the middle of a heat wave, over 95 degrees in the valleys and 70s and 80s up top, it was hot at time, really hot, but beautiful nonetheless. once i've ridden most of the california roads i'm planning on touring colorado's rockies spring/summer time. grew up there so can't wait.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts