1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
91 Octane NO Ethanol
vs
Top tier gasoline’s such as Shell V-Power 93 , Mobile 92 , BP 93

I typically use a full bottle of RedLine S1 Fuel System Cleaner every in 4 gallon tank every 3,000 miles; if the PEA cleaning agent actually does work.

There was a YouTube video of before and after with RedLine S1 Fuel System Cleaner and the bore scope of before and after in a standard automobile motor. “Honda Civic”
The carbon deposit buildup was nonexistent.

I happen to stop at a gas station with 91 Octane No Ethanol.
Does Non- Ethanol have any additives to reduce carbon deposit buildup?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Welcome to the Forum @Jimwiggy.

What bike do you maintain as you describe in your intro post above?
What kind of riding is your main style?

I just filled up the other day while running thru the hills of Virginia and the pump announced "ethanol added". I didn't know why this had to be posted, so it made me a little suspicious and a bit nervous at first, but I figured that one tank "of this stuff" isn't going to break me down before I get home.

Now it sounds like your saying ethanol helps "reduce carbon deposit buildup" and is a good thing. Woah, I don't know anything about this, so I hope to learn something!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only mode of transportation 18’ r1200r.

Currently top tier gasoline’s such as Shell V-Power, mobile, BP all have fuel additives to help with fuel injector clogging and combustion deposits.

I believe all gasoline is the states have 10%-15% ethanol due to farming

Do they add these so called “additives” in Non- ethanol fuels; who knows.

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
OK ... ethanol bad for motorcycles ... especially with long-term storage which is what the Cycleworld article was primarily addressing.

I suppose if one is going to burn it up, like I did coming home off the mountain, then it's not such a detriment. I'm going to try and locate non-ethanol gas stations though or, at best, 10% added stations and then run it out quick as possible.

Worry less, ride more!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Non Ethanol

I found a local petrol shop that carries 100% gas:

2.jpg

Good timing to learn about this issue as it was time to fill up:

1.jpg

Is there any concern with 93 octane vs 91 octane for motorycles?

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Ethanol in gasoline is a horrible idea that was foisted on consumers to benefit farmers. Whether it is energy efficient is debatable at best, but putting a hydrophilic/hydroscopic (water loving) substance in gasoline means that your fuel absorbs moisture from the atmosphere and condensation. Ethanol gasoline that sits for a time will have moisture in it, and ethanol and water form acetic acid over time. The net result is that ethanol gas left for a long time is not engine friendly. Anyway, I'd choose non-ethanol gas if I had a choice. The main defense is to keep your fuel fresh by riding more :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
I owned a 2009 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic until just a couple of weeks ago. I purchased it new in 2008. It has a plastic gas tank that lots of owners had problems with because of ethanol and water. The dealer I purchased it from said to use regular rather than the premium that MG recommended. His reasoning for that was regular cycles through the storage tanks faster than premium and is less prone to water contamination. I used regular for the first year without any problems. Then I found a product called Star Tron fuel treatment that helps keep the ethanol and water in suspension in the fuel. I used premium from that point on. I used Star Tron religiously for the next 9 years. One ounce at every fill up. I had no issues with the tank or the plastic housing for the fuel filter that other owners had.

When I purchased my first R in 2012 I did not use Star Tron in it. I had no issues with using 10% ethanol blended fuels. My 2016 R LC is running just fine on the blended fuels.

Not saying the ethanol blended fuel is OK. I think that it is a huge mistake foisted upon us by the farm lobby. It might make the exhaust a little cleaner, but it also reduces fuel mileage by 10% or more.

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,618 Posts
Ethanol has knackered the fuel tanks on two of my bikes, the MZ tank has got longer and the triumph tank has got wider. Just about all the MZ tanks in this country have got longer, some to the extent of fouling the top yolk. I found an ethanol free garage which has prevented mine from getting any worse, horrible stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had a few small engines ruined by the ethanol due to its hygroscopic properties, the affinity for water. It also make your engine run hotter (bad), reduces your gas mileage accordingly to the amount of ethanol, and is bad for the environment. It is NOT cleaner or any benefit to the environment, it is simply renewable. Residing in The People's Republic of California, I have no choice but to use it. However, when I travel, I first check this site telling you where to get gas without ethanol! Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada If you use more than 10% ethanol gas, all the major auto and bike makers will tell you it voids your warranty.

·
Registered
159 Posts
• Ethanol is political quackery at its best, just a way to subsidise farmers.
• Ethanol is neither environmentally friendly, nor efficient in ANY way - effectively an abomination of biblical proportions.
• Ethanol reacts extremely badly with plastic gas tanks and especially seals, hoses etc of vintage bikes.
• Ethanol decays very quickly, so is very poor for long term storage etc (think boat fuel tanks, generators for those of us in the south etc). It will leave a really nasty goop in carb float bowls, galleries, and anywhere you don't want a sticky hard-to-dissolve deposit.
• Modern engines in cars & bikes are designed to cope with ethanol so few worries there, BUT no matter old or new vehicle, ethanol still breaks down quickly. If you ride frequently, don't worry about it - gas 'n' go. If you don't ride frequently and might have the same gas in the tank for 2-3 months either drain it or find non-ethanol.
• If you have a vintage bike, try and buddy-up with someone who works at a regional airport, where - allegedly - you can buy 100 octane gas. Buy a couple of metal gas tanks and store a few gallons at home. Or bite the bullet and go to a speed shop and pay out the wazoo for high octane.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts