BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R1200R
17 Posts
When we had the 1200s and now the 1250s I always use 91 AKI when in Iowa because it does not have ethanol at most, if not all stations in Iowa.
Hold on, you're telling me that Iowa, largest corn producer in these United States, home of the ethanol lobbying machine, does not put ethanol in most of its premium fuels? Now THAT is funny :p

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hold on, you're telling me that Iowa, largest corn producer in these United States, home of the ethanol lobbying machine, does not put ethanol in most of its premium fuels? Now THAT is funny :p
Yep :)
And it's easy to find 87 AKI without ethanol.

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
132 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
1 Posts
15% ethanol top tier gas is appearing in my local station. I do have access to non ethanol (non top tier) 93 gas. Thoughts on which is better appreciated? I use stabil additive to reduce impact of ethanol so could up that dose a bit plus the bike is run weekly but, I live in central Texas so humidity is high so water vapor will get into the fuel fairly easily.
Thanks...incidentally, surprised that nobody else has asked about the move to 15%. Saw earlier thread about 10% and agree with the comment about the whole thing being a scam to benefit big farmers at the expense of food production and my boat and bike engines!
According to my BMW service - ethanol was the culprit of destroying my fuel pump on my 2010 GSA. They said to use additives (like fuel cleaner pus) when it’s not driven for a longer time.
So I stay away from high ethanol fuel if I have a choice.

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200R
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I think I didn't make my point well. It is not about octane but about pure gas with minimal if any additives versus gas with ethanol but with top tier additives. AAA have tested top tier gas and it is much better for car engines so presumably is better for bikes but ethanol as my local bmw shop said is bad. I've decided to stick with top tier gas and add stabilizer in case I don't run the bike for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2015 R12R. 2020 K1600GA. 1986 V65 Magna.
9 Posts
I think I didn't make my point well. It is not about octane but about pure gas with minimal if any additives versus gas with ethanol but with top tier additives. AAA have tested top tier gas and it is much better for car engines so presumably is better for bikes but ethanol as my local bmw shop said is bad. I've decided to stick with top tier gas and add stabilizer in case I don't run the bike for a couple of weeks.
I’d just stay away from ethanol period. All this “top tier” bs is just that. Run non-oxy premium and put some Techron in every so often. I personally mix Lucas fuel additive in everything with good results. I refuse to run ethanol in anything. Forcing people to use corn-based ethanol is a scam perpetrated by big corn. I was raised on a farm. Trying to raise food to be burned in your car is silly. Just my $.02.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts