BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an interesting first experience today, worth sharing as there are some lessons in it for me – maybe others. Took the R1200R to the dealer for its first service and was loaned a sweet if somewhat buzzy little 400cc Honda Super Sport bike. Riding it back to the dealer at the end of the day it died on me on the Motorway – gulp! Fortunately I had my mobile (cell) phone with me and a number for the dealer, so a quick call was made to him with my diagnosis – no oil!

The dealership was only some 15 or so km away at this point so a van and trailer soon appeared with my bike on it, we swapped over, the dead Honda went back to be resuscitated, and I rode on home.

In many, many years of motorcycling this is the first time I’ve ever been stranded road-side!

BUT – lessons learned: (1) - always have a fully-charged mobile phone to hand. And (2) - keep that Roadside Assist membership up-to-date, for if it had been my own bike that’s what I’d have had to rely on to get me mobile again. Without the phone and Roadside Assist (had I needed it on this occasion) I’d have been lost!

L of S

:001_huh:

·
Registered
359 Posts
I would be most concerned with the service they performed on YOUR bike if they don't bother to check the oil on their loaner???:whatdoyouthink:

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I would be most concerned with the service they performed on YOUR bike if they don't bother to check the oil on their loaner???:whatdoyouthink:
:10:Seriously, dude. Better check that they bothered to bolt your wheel rims on, and add more than a teaspoon of gas. . . .The name of the place isn't the Last Chance BMW Shop, is it?

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CORRECTION! The Honda wasn’t out of oil – it was out of fuel! My (understandable) mistake at the time since (a) the red ‘low oil’ light came up, and (b) the sight-glass showed no oil. Handing the bike to me when I was loaned it the mech said the tank was full – it wasn’t!

When I phoned to pay the account today he was full of apologies and very red-faced! Good job this isn’t America, or I’d be suing them for a million dollars for loss of earnings, a bad back, sleep deprivation, ongoing medical costs, and stress!

L of S

PS - and - drDave - I must say that when I finally pulled away from the roadside on my own bike, I did call out to the tech who'd come out to rescue me (and their Honda) that I hoped my bike had oil in it! L of S

1 - 5 of 5 Posts