BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few questions for those with experience on this great machine. I have almost 2000KM on her now and a couple things are still irritating about her, both of which were mentioned at the break in service.
The brakes squeal, the dealer cleaned off brake dust, no change, they still squeal. Anyone experienced this and cured it?
When the bike is started cold, it seems to run very rich, you can smell it. And as a result it misses and really doesn't want to take off without given her lots of throttle. If I let her idle for at least 5 minutes, it's better. Is that normal? What's your experience with a cold engine?
Otherwise she is great!

:clap:

thanks guys,
Brian

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Brakes do not squeal and cold starts do not noticeably smell rich, nor is there any decreased perfomance.
She rolls right off.
Disclaimer: I bought the bike when she was 14k old, now 26k so if your expereince was in her past, I don't know of it.

John

·
Registered
28 Posts
Never experienced either issue. I can certainly tell you that there is no good reason for it to miss, smell overly rich, and hesitate when cold. It's fuel-injected, with dedicated cold-start circuitry. It should run perfectly right from the moment you fire it up.

·
Registered
598 Posts
My climate is moderate, but still: a few seconds of idling should be quite sufficient, more is neither necessary nor useful. Go easy on the throttle until the oil warms up. I have to baby the throttle a bit as I accelerate away from the first stop sign - about a block away - but by a block later all's good.

Smelling gas and stuttering on a cold startup isn't normal. The bike's FI is well-sorted, and the temp sensors should compensate effectively. I've ridden in both very cold and very hot weather, and bike starts and runs easily and smoothly. Yours should too.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I will say that I don't have any issues with the brakes. The cold start issue is similar for me, but I just attribute that to the bike being cold.
EDIT: I should say that the rich fuel smell is only for a couple of seconds after startup. I start the bike up and then about 10 seconds later, I ride off. I don't let it idle for an extended period; as a matter of fact, there are several posts in the forums that say that a long idle period is not good for the engine. Also, no misfiring or anything for me.

I guess I should have added this information the first time, sorry.

·
Registered
800 Posts
No brake noise on mine. 12k miles.

I never had to start it in temps less than about 45 degrees but never experienced any issues in that regard either.

I'd ask the dealer to put some brake grease on the back of the pads. That always worked on my prior bikes.

Bob

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Looks like both of my issues are valid problems. I really hate to bring it back to the dealer for warranty work, pain in the butt. Especially since I just got it back from it's break in service last week and told them about both issues. Can you believe for the squealing brakes they wrote on the bill "found brake dust on rotors, cleaned" .....
Could be the beginning of poor relationship with my dealer.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Brake squeal is sometimes made worse by a rider who uses the brakes gently - that is, keeps his eyes up and never has to really clamp 'em on. Still, harder applications can help. Do a few 60-0 stops, one right after the other, and see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
No problems here, I also turn the bike and go, never let it idle, so I can't smell the gas, if there is any, but don't really feel any difference on response.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts