BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the bike the day I picked her up from Max in Troy.

Test firing new Wunderlich seat and some Kriega gear, (Great Bags)

Run in done, time to take off,

Loaded for bear,

My homage to ADV,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I took US-20 across upstate NY and into PA. Some nice scenery to be seen,

Slabbed it from just outside Cleveland to the Macinack Bridge.

Took my time through the U.P. of Michigan.
Stopped and paid my Respects to the men of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Rode some great roads in the U.P. then dropped down into WI and MN and picked up US-2. I stayed on 2 to the west coast.

I got crushed in a thunderstorm just outside Devil's Lake ND. There was about thirty miles of road torn up. Not realyy off road, but loose dirt and two inches of rain made for some slimey travel.

Crossing ND near Minot,

I just got through before the road went under, the railroad tracks were already under at this point. Pretty impressive riding along with nothing but two strips of pavement sitcking out above the water and everything else submerged.

Heavy crosswinds in North Dakota, but the R was rock solid. Best Bike I have ever ridden in sidewinds. Due I guess to little to catch the wind.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never seem to time the "Going to the Sun Highway" right. I left on June 10th and when I got to Glacier N.P. they still had 20+ feet of snow up there.

It rained and snowed going through Glacier. The good news was the Dam Town Tavern makes a mean burger.

On the Hungry Horse Side of Glacier. Raining pretty good at this point.

Spent a couple of days in Sand Point ID, met some nice folks and cleaned the bike up a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Looks like a very good run, good photos. The Wunderlich seat looks nice, have you used the standard seat to be able to compare the comfort?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave,

THe Standard seat was not bad. The first 1000 miles were spent with it. What I liked about the Wunderlich seat was it opened up the ergos from seat to peg a bit. Also my butt never screamed get me off of here in ten thousand miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I just realized I can't go back and add pictures to my posts, so I'll play catch up a bit here.

I don't have enough good to say about the U.P. I'd move there tomorrow if I could.

The actual bell from the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Great little Museum rich in History of Superior, much of it with tragic endings,

Some great roads in the U.P. too

First glimpse of the Rocky Mountains after several days of flat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glacier was wet, white and cold, but still pretty,

Idaho has it's fair share of beauty as well,

Leavenworth Washington really impressed me, They call it the Alps of the US. It definitely has a Bavarian feel to it. Fun town, good beer, great views.

My Hotel,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bike has been running like a top. Many folks questioned my choice of this motorcycle for this trip. Many people were constantly suggesting a GS, RT, FJR or some other miracle bike, purposely designed for such a trip. But the RR was doing just fine, thank you very much.

Going over Steven's Pass, more snow,

On the other side Skookum Falls was nice,

Heading toward the coast of Washington I had to adjust a bit due to snow pack,

I'm sure if I had a GS I could have gotten through, But my lowly R stood no chance,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Love the way you have your bike set up. Was wondering what brand and model tank bag and soft luggage do you have on the bike in these pictures?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tank bag is a MotoFiz Through Bag. A small magnetic bag that was rock solid and easy to deal with during fuel stops. For me it has been the best tank bag I have ever used. Not big, simple, well sorted with pockets and compartments.

The Rear soft luggage is Kriega from the U.K. This stuff is great! It's not cheap but excellent and it's modular. Take one, two three or all. All bags remained totally dry for the entire trip. Once mounted the first time they were on and off in less than five minutes.

The customer service was excellent as well. I ordered them late and Kriega did not have some Pieces in the U.S at the time. So they overnighted them to me From the U.K. at no additional cost to me. I am not affiliated, just a very happy customer.

Once attached they remained solid and stable. No matter what I put them through. I was very impressed with the whole package, both for its performance and versatility.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
One of the things on my bucket list, being from Upstate New York has been to put the wheels of my bike in the Pacific Ocean. Mission Accomplished!

The West Coast of washington and Oregon is stunning in it's beauty,

This view in particular amazed me,

And this was the view out the back door of my Hotel room in Oregon,

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, More great riding,

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I'll say it again. Excellent - thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A little more about the Kriega gear. I ran a 30 in the center a 20 on each side and a 10 on top. I can't say enough good about this stuff. Once mated together I could take the whole group off the bike as one piece, I I needed to take them in my room at night. Bring them out in the morning, attach four straps and you're on your way. They also have replaceable waterproof liners that can be replaced separately if they ever wear out. they velcro into the top of the cordura bag. I did a little over 7,000 miles on this trip and the showed no signs of any wear.

A shot from the Back,

From the side,

With very little effort the hard bags could be removed while leaving the Kriega bags in place.

Just one used as a Tail Bag,

A close up of the attachment Hooks, Very solid. The bags strap to each other and you use four hooks like this to mount to the bike.

When I first got them I was a tad disappointed, they seemed overly complicated and the directions were minimal. But after studying them over a couple of beers the light came on, about just how simple they were to use.

the straps all have keepers for the extra, no loose straps flapping in the wind beating up your paint or getting caught in the wheel,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a ful compliment of camping gear on board.
MSR Fury Tent
Big Agnes Lost Ranger Down Bag,
Big Agnes compact insulated air mattress,
Svea 123 white gas stove with extra gas,
Coleman Stainless cook Kit
GSI Tea Kettle
Small Cooking Utensils
Candle Lantern
Camera
and other assorted gear.

I tried to keep the heavy gear as low as possible, backing most of the heavy camping gear low in the saddlebags. My sleeping bag went in the Kriega 30, It fit easily. The 10 held miscellaneous small items and some reading material. The 20s held my insulated jacket liner, and rain liner. extra sweater and some clothing.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Amazing photographs and an awesome trip. Thank you for sharing. Most of us only dream of doing that.:)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thank You! ... Not only for your excellent photos, but additionally for your well appointed luggage and detail overviews. Plus that, wonderful to see an R12 in its full red regalia. Bravo!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Beautiful bike. I have one just like it sitting in my garage. Mine is from Max in Ct. I've biked to a number of the places you went to. UP of Michigan, Rt 2 to Glacier Park, only Going To The Sun was open when I was there. Have been down along the pacific coast too. Awesome riding.

This Spring I'm heading to make a loop through South Dakota, Wyoming, Utah and Colorado, probably get there via the UP of Michigan again because it really beats taking Rt. 80 across Nebraska. I've done that a few times and have sworn to never do that again.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Thanks for the write-up and photos, LV.
Some questions though?

What were the dates of your trip?

what about the route back?

what % of the time did you camp vs motel?

You said you took US 2--that's Lolo Pass, isn't it? How was that in June? Passable? I may be heading that way in late May if doable.
Did you hit the Palouse area of Wash?

What was your route across Wash to Oregon?

Tires and wear for the trip?

Is your report on Advrider also? Guess I am assuming you are the "Lost Viking" over there?
And one more, if you care to answer, do you travel armed?

Thanks in advance.
John

1 - 20 of 34 Posts