BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I received some news that I don't know if I should take as good or bad news but I thought it would be nice to share. The story goes like this:

Back in November 2012 I ordered a 90 Anniversary Special edition, which was supossed to be the only one for this market since BMW only assigned that quota to Panama, no more 90's will be sold, neither R, RT or GSA.

Then a friend of mine that may have obsesive-compulsive disorder as soon as he knew I ordered a R12R, told me he always wanted it. So he started conversations with the dealer and ordered a Classic. After a couple of weeks, and unexpectedly, my friend asked the dealer to change his order for another 90, the dealer literally had to beg and strugle with the manufacturer to get another one, claiming it was a special order and the bike was already sold and paid. We both got great deals, pricewise and in installments (pay as you can as far as you have paid the 100% as of delivery).

The manufacturer agreed to send two 90's to Panama both with just days in difference of assembling but given mine was part of a lot of bikes ordered by the dealer in advance was going to arrive sooner than my friend's which being a special order will be shipped alone and will take an additional month to arrive. It now surprises me because I know of other markets that are still expecting for their 90's orders and I ve been told the manufacturer has stopped it's production.

Honestly I was dissapointed by my friend's decision since I wanted mine to be unique.. and now he was screwing me.. anyway, as a good friend I respected his decision and even supported him.

I received my bike in February, then came March and my friend's bike didn't arrive, then April and there were certain delays in customs, some attributable to the dealer others not, my friend started to get impacient since he had already completed payment for it. Off the sudden he decides he doesn't want the bike, claiming several reasons (money, wife, bad response from dealer, not needing a second bike), in the end it was a compulsive buy and he was stepping back, he asked his money back and the dealer accepted. That happened last week.

Today I received this picture from a friend in commom, texting me: "I know it's not you because of the exhaust, do you know who this is?" , I respond: "It's the bike that was supossed to be for our friend, but is not him because he didn't buy it", then he texts me back: "oh, I didn't know that, I've been informed it was Glenn..". (Glenn is the dealer's salesman)

Immediately I contacted the dealer, the salesman was riding the bike for the first time and went out just to add fuel, was crashed by a taxi cab. The bike is supossed to be a total loss... the guy is OK, nothing happened to him.

So, after all mine will remain the only 90 Anniversary in Panama and I am not going to be able to test Remus full exhaust+Boosterplug vs Akrapovic, side by side...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The salesman got one forearm broken and is back on job today, apparently the accident was not his fault and the bike was insured.

The really bad news are going to be for the taxi driver, if he is held responsible for the accident his insurance company will have to pay the loss and knowing taxi drivers he might have a minimum required liability policy which here is only US$5,000, the difference will have to come out of his pocket...

People has to learn to look for bikers here, today a pickup truck almost hit me in my scooter by making a left turn from the right lane while I was passing him on the left lane.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts