BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't find the receipt for this, but I think I saw the ad in the BMW magazine, about 40 bucks and really does make a difference in gravelly parking lots. Have to sand it and redo the paint a little; I dripped loctite into it, which chewed the paint up. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Do you really need this? What really, does it do?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Do you really need this? What really, does it do?
It enlarges the footprint of the stand, making it less prone to sinking into soft ground (and thus helping prevent the bike tipping over).

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seriously, Clem, I know you're quoting me on about that shock-absorber-mud-bra or whatever comment :) But after having my bike slide over on its side in a sandy, heat-softened asphalt Chicago parking lot, this works. :) drD

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Noooo!:(Sorry to hear that drDave. Sincerely, I hope the damage was minimal. I know how you feel, because it happened to me also, long ago. Hot asphalt=taffy. Your idea is excellent; increase the surface area. It's only slightly:confused:larger than the sidestand foot.:confused:Crushed aluminum can has more surface area? A jar lid? If it's working so far, I'm happy for you.:) I have an assortment of 1/8" steel & tempered aluminum plates. 3" & 4" square with corners rounded off. Keep 1 in tank bag in summer. Center stand is better than side stand, but I'm aware you have difficulty there. Park so side stand is in bike's shadow. Very careful how, where, & for how long Park.;) Wunderlich Side Stand Enlarger Part Number: 8500046 Price: $43.00

·
Registered
44 Posts
My take, if you are out and about and its hot, you probaly got a can of something or bottle of water handy. Drink it down, chuck it under the kickstand and go get another for the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts