BMW R1200R Forum banner

ABS, ASC & Speedo issue

1K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  Duff 
#1 ·
It’s seems it has come in 3s, ABS & ASC warning lights flash or stay on & speedo drops out now & again. Bike is a lc model & coming up to 8 years old with just over 12k on clocks, from what I’m reading on hear people seem to think speedo is the culprit, is it a easy fix for a clumsy bugger. Tia.

#8 ·
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum (first post!) but came looking for the same information as D4VO. My bike started indicating the ABS/ASC/DTC and speedo issue at about 13,000 miles and I've probably ridden 300-400 miles since without issue. Aside from the irritating lights on the display, the biggest annoyance to me is not having cruise control on the highway.

Anyway, I've finally decided to address it. I removed the canister and rear wheel to access the sensor, then removed the sensor for inspection. It looks fine but must assume it's broken from the dash indications. I called my local Max BMW to price its replacement and they told me that once it's replaced that it has to be programmed. I said "huh?...this thing looks like a simple plug-n-play replacement". Does this make sense to anyone else? I'm skeptical and don't want to pay for a service call unnecessarily. Thanks.

Duff

#9 ·
Welcome, Duff.
Your dealer is yanking your chain (and your hard earned 💵 from your wallet).
The sensor is plug and play, and should pass the self test once you get rolling, even if the fault remains stored in the ABS control unit until cleared using a GS911, Motoscan or your gouging stealer/dealer. No harm leaving it there.

#13 ·
So the speed sensor cable runs alongside the rear brake line underneath the plastic rear brake hose guide which needs to be removed, but its forward attachment screw (circled in red below) is obscured by the motorcycle frame and inaccessible (at least with my tool set). It looks like I can remove the paralever brace to gain access to that forward screw but I suspect that brace is holding up the swing arm. Can I support the swing arm with a milk crate or do I need something more significant?

#16 ·
Update: Milk crate not required. I managed to pry open the forward end of the brake hose guide (just slightly, see below) to provide clearance for the speed sensor cable. Cable/sensor replaced, rear wheel and canister reinstalled, bike road tested and no caution lights! Life is good. Heading to New Hampshire for Laconia/Loudon bike week this Sunday. Thanks for the help.

D4VO - Thanks for starting the thread. I'd say go for it if you have time, it really wasn't that hard. The part was $201.54 +tax. The entire job was done on the center stand, you just need a full complement of torx wrenches to do it. Let us know how you make out.

#18 ·
Yes, it's fairly easy once you gain access to it by removing the exhaust canister and rear wheel. The sensor is held in place in the swingarm with one torx screw, and its cable is led forward through a few small clips, then under the brake hose guide mentioned previously, and then terminated at a plug that is easily accessible behind the left side cover. I could take a couple more pix if it'll help.

#20 ·
Just a little light oil. The new sensor comes with a new O-ring. There's not a lot of extra length in the sensor cable so don't be too generous in relief when running the cable aft. Probably wise not to snap it into the cable clips until after securing the sensor to the swingarm.

#21 ·
Update thus far & what I noticed was happing, after 2 weeks wait for my bike to go in local shop. I observed speedo wouldn’t work for about 4-5 mins on initial start up, ABS, TCS flashing until I stopped & turned off ignition, on start up again same issues. Now today after a couple of days not using the bike, taking bike to have work done I notice no flashing light, no ABS light & speedo working right away. That didn’t last long, lights come back on so back to normal fault. See what shop come back with after they have looked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.