BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody knows about this update?
Is it available for 2015 model? (all months)
If you have all the packs installed do you need new hardware??

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
My dealer told me a while back that for mine (2016) it was software-only, because I already have the Pro riding modes and D-ESA options, which gives me all the req'd sensors. He offered to fit it in to a regular service for free (no labour charge). I've yet to decide whether I'll spring for it. Not exactly what you asked, but it's all I know.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you're lucky then it's just a software upgrade - there's a list somewhere where you can enter your VIN to tell whether you had the hardware fitted at the factory - I believe sometime March 2015 is the cutoff date, I was just was the right side.

I had the upgrade, possibly a waste of money as I can't imagine that bit of my head ever allowing me to heave on the brakes banked over in the wet, but it's stopped me wondering about whether to do it or not.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,287 Posts
If you have Driving Modes Pro or Dynamic ESA, then only the US$325 activation code is required, plus wirkshop time to hook up the bike and go through the update process. Otherwise you need additional hardware.

Reactions: dbyker

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you have Driving Modes Pro or Dynamic ESA, then only the US$325 activation code is required, plus wirkshop time to hook up the bike and go through the update process. Otherwise you need additional hardware.
The local dealer offered to install it for me 'at cost' i.e. no labour charge, for slightly more than $900. It would appear there is a special add on BMW Australia tax for software downloads.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,287 Posts
It would appear there is a special add on BMW Australia tax for software downloads.
In addition to GST, I think we do pay an ‘Australia’ tax, and then round up to the first number you think of. It’s like the fork oil - less than CAN$30 - here it’s a beat $60.

Should we raise this as a price gouging issue with the ACCC?

·
Registered
48 Posts
For reference, here is my experience with it...

(And a few posts down that thread, a cost breakdown...)

Not sure why the links show unrelated posts in the preview text above. If you actually click/tap on them they do take you to the right posts though.

My build date is 11/14 but I think some of the necessary elements (like ride modes pro) had been retrofitted before I bought the bike. One thing the dealer that did the upgrade mentioned is they did have a bit of a hard time convincing their system that the bike has DTC (as opposed to the more basic standard ASC, I guess). They did eventually figure it out though, and I do see DTC in the list of enabled features through the GS-911 now, near the bottom, just before the ABS PRO and Hiil Start Assist (not sure if DTC was showing there before or not). If I look up the VIN online (which only shows originally equipped options) neither DTC nor ASC show up there, but D-ESA does. Since ASC was "standard equipment" that may explain why it doesn't show as an original "option". I do notice in Panzermann's post above that the DTC retrofit is showing as a prerequisite for ABS PRO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts