BMW R1200R Forum banner

accidently neutral in 2012 R1200r Classic

5K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  drDave 
#1 ·
Great bike. . .but. . .had it about a week, and I've noticed then when I downshift it will frequently, maybe 20 percent of the time kick down into neutral instead of 1st, with a kind of a "clonk!". I have to kick it down again one or more times get it back to 1st gear

Needless to say this is a little unnerving. The bike is brand new, and under 100 miles. Will this weirdness work itself out or do I need to take it back for a look at the transmission?

thanks!

Dave

#2 ·
I have a new r1200r- one week- with the same problem. It now has about 1000 miles on it-and the problem seems slowly to be working its way out. The dealer said that it is common and to kick down harder from 2nd in the beginning, till it the problem goes away. I can't tell whether the problem I'd fixing itself or I am getting trained not to let it happen. Either way -as long as I don't have to think about it and it doesnt stick in neutral!

#3 ·
Las, Common? Jeez, that's a little disturbing that they can't sell it with a tighter transmission. Anybody from BMW out there with a comment? Chicago having dropped back into the Cold Season again, I haven't put that much mileage into it, but I still have to watch the computer read out because I'll find it in Neutral from 2nd or even 3rd, with one kick. Am hoping that it works itself out, or I'm going to ask the dealer to try to adjust it at a 600 mile point.

#4 ·
My bike is only a week old with almost 200 miles on it now. I've not had this problem. I know I do kick down very firmly and this comes from my moto cross racing days to ensure the bike is in the right gear.

Maybe adjust your gear shifting to be more firm/thorough or anyway you'd like to say it. It will not hurt the transmission.

#5 ·
Fleuger99, I do kick it firmly; I had a G650gs that worked well like that. But in the 1200, that's when it seems most likely to bounce into another gear or neutral. If I kick it slowly, it seems to work better, but it shouldn't be that finicky.

#6 ·
Fleuger99, I do kick it firmly; I had a G650gs that worked well like that. But in the 1200, that's when it seems most likely to bounce into another gear or neutral. If I kick it slowly, it seems to work better, but it shouldn't be that finicky.
Understood, perhaps time to visit the dealer? :)

PS. Saw your posted pic of the shield on your bike. Is it a VStream? Thanks.

#8 ·
I've tried slow presses, hard kicks, etc., but I'll find myself in neutral from 2nd or 3rd randomly. . .I think it's time to message the dealer. . .

#10 ·
So last night, I did a quick ride, 30-40 miles, part in the city part "highway", some aggressive and calm riding. All to see how my downshifting to 1st could end on Neutral and help you out, I even downshifted from a high rev 2nd, my back tire slip for little, and the wrong neutral never happened.
I downshifted from 3rd, all the way to 1st without releasing the clutch and had some problems but I'm assuming you are always on 2nd before going to 1st.
Also, If You approach a red light, your bike is, let say on 4th, you stop all the way and once you are there try to go down to 1st without semi engaging the clutch will give you trouble.

Anyways, your bike is so new so take it to the stealership and have them figure is out.

#13 ·
Thanks Hoshiko!. .I'm going to see if I can figure out any rhyme or reason. . .other than hearing a "thunk" when it drops into the wrong gear, I'm going to see if there's something I'm doing that makes it more or less likely. When I go to my first 600 mile tune up, I'll have them look at it. . . .drd

#14 ·
Well, after another month of riding, the problem seems to have worked itself out. . .I don't think it's my technique; the gear changes just seem to be smoother and more reliable. Still doesn't like to go into first from neutral after the bike is turned on unless I squeeze the clutch a few times and maybe move the bike a little. . .weird BMW gremlins. . . :)

#15 ·
Good to hear that the shifting is smoother drDave. Still in the break-in or run-in stages.
It should get even better as the miles add up. Getting used to the gremlins.
Hope Chicago has some good weather for you to enjoy. Keep us posted.

#16 ·
Clem,

Chicago is underwater today, so will work out the gremlins another day :)

Fleuger99, you're correct. The shield is a ZTechnik Vstream. Nice. Keeps away any side buffeting, although to really keep it quieter, I notice I have to bend forward a little, which takes my head completely out of the windstream (I'm 5'9). Anybody have any experience with taller screens like the Parabellum, compared to a Vstream?

Dave

#17 ·
speaking of rain. . .does anyone own a BMW pro 3 one piece rainsuit? Do you like it? I have a set of Frogg Toggs Ultra2 which is really good and very light, but was curious about whether a one piece rainsuit is more effective or better in any way.

#20 ·
Have 2012 R1200R since last November. Had same problem occasionally going into N instead of all the way down to 1st. Now 2500 miles and it rarely happens.

Interesting. I wonder if it's one of those "known issues" specific to the 2012 R1200. I had a 2011 G650gs before this and never encountered this issue.

D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.