BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search here and didn't come up with anything.
Any advice or instructions on how to adjust the headlight aiming on my R1200R? Like a chart or something that you measure off a wall?
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Some good information here. Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
The DOT (CA) standard for headlamps alignment used to be something like vehicle's headlight should be 2 1/2 inches below the given height of the headlight at a distance of 25 feet. I borrowed a chart for you.While sitting on the bike, aim center of the beam where lines 1 & 2 cross. If after adding a passenger/heavy luggage people begin flashing their lights at you, lower it a bit. It ain't rocket science. Most important thing is to get out there and put some serious miles on that Roadster!!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I will do as suggested.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had to put a level on mine. I had been messing with the windshield and every time I adjusted the windshield, the headlight was off. I will take a pic of the level after work tonight.

David

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 2003 GoldWing, had a button you pushed that electrically raised or lowered the headlamps. C'mon - how cool is that? Nice when you changed from one rider to two up - bzzzzt... re-aimed on the fly in one second.

With the R1200R I push on the headlight while I'm riding on a dark road until it's right. Less cool than the GoldWing button thingie but there's nothing to break, either.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I adjusted mine from the cockpit on the way home from the dealer. It was aimed for coon hunting. Right in the trees.

I soon put on the parabellum windshield and let the adjusting begin.

I got tired of re aiming the headlight especially since I no longer could adjust it on the fly. This out of a cheap $2.00 Line level. Clear silicone as the adhesive. I made sure the light was where I wanted it then stuck the level on.

Do as you wish, I adjust my suspension to get the headlight and mirrors right with a load. It was in the manual of my RT.

Start with proper sag, adjust the headlight. Add weight, adjust rear preload till the head light points where it should. Your sag will be the same as unloaded.

David

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Good idea! Thanks David R.
New BMW K1600GTL has Adaptive Headlight that directs its beam around corners! Of course, it's self leveling.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I adjusted mine from the cockpit on the way home from the dealer. It was aimed for coon hunting. Right in the trees.

I soon put on the parabellum windshield and let the adjusting begin.

I got tired of re aiming the headlight especially since I no longer could adjust it on the fly. This out of a cheap $2.00 Line level. Clear silicone as the adhesive. I made sure the light was where I wanted it then stuck the level on.

Do as you wish, I adjust my suspension to get the headlight and mirrors right with a load. It was in the manual of my RT.

Start with proper sag, adjust the headlight. Add weight, adjust rear preload till the head light points where it should. Your sag will be the same as unloaded.

David
That is such a simple solution. I assume you leave it attached there and just re-adjust to level as your load change.
I wonder if there is a level in a more accommodating shape, like perhaps a little round level... I'll look into it and if I come up with something I'll put it back on this thread..
Thanks for your suggestion, you gotta love this forum and the internet!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got tired of re aiming the headlight especially since I no longer could adjust it on the fly. This out of a cheap $2.00 Line level... ...Start with proper sag, adjust the headlight. Add weight, adjust rear preload till the head light points where it should. Your sag will be the same as unloaded.
Excellent call. :goodjob:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts