BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fitted an Akrapovic slip-on a few months back thinking I wouldn't go with a full system. However, I decided I would complete the ensemble today with stainless Akrapovic headers. Too early to comment on the torque difference, but it's certainly has a more significant raspier sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MGL and Panzermann

·
Super Moderator
5,434 Posts
No cat? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, did I miss that? I'll have a look might be in the box.

·
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Super Moderator
5,434 Posts
Reactions: mikeS

·
Super Moderator
5,434 Posts
I see your exhaust flapper has disappeared too - more bark off idle. More bark is always a good thing. 🐶

Reactions: MGL

·
Super Moderator
944 Posts
Awesome though spendy. I really liked the full Remus cat-less system on my '06 R12GS, ran sweet, clean and strong.

I get the objection to cat-less and don't want to go off-topic or start a controversy but in the grand scheme of global emissions I suspect the tiny handful of bikes converted to cat-less is a pretty small contributor.

Enjoy!

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
77 Posts
Me too, but combined with a Remus Black Hawk. A bit noisy at low rpm without the flapper valve though. Can't comment on the gain with only headers and slip-on as I installed a reprogrammed ECU at the same time. Anyway in total a dramatically better running bike. And the headers are beautiful.

Reactions: TimMc and mikeS

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've never heard of an actual prosecution of an individual. But having done state inspections as a young man, in the USA it is up to 10years and or $100k fine for removing a cat.

But I don't take side on the issue. How do you prevent check engine lights with no cat or flapper though?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I can't really fault the performance of my R1250R.

I'm not quite sure where we are in the UK with removing CAT's from motorcycles. I am aware though that you can insure a decatted bike. But that's the thing, I pay buttons for my bike insurance, but if I was to de-CAT the bike my insurance would go through the roof.

For me it's just not even worth thinking about.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can't really fault the performance of my R1250R.

I'm not quite sure where we are in the UK with removing CAT's from motorcycles. I am aware though that you can insure a decatted bike. But that's the thing, I pay buttons for my bike insurance, but if I was to de-CAT the bike my insurance would go through the roof.

For me it's just not even worth thinking about.
I've considered the Akropovic Ti header with cat and flapper just because it looks cool and sounds better, but I'd be sure to brag about the weight savings too.

I remember getting my pants blown off by the fastest bike ever made, at the time, I was young and crazy, it was a ZX11. My 2020 R has close to the same power and weight.

·
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The decision to go with headers was not something that I agonised over, but I've never installed a full system on any of BMs, so I thought why not. From my brief reach, and a call to a local dealer, the headers (EB-22R6) doesn't require the ECU to be remapped. Of course, for optimal performance, best to have system dyno tuned. As it is now, I'm not 100% convinced that I could live the more aggressive exhaust growl. I plan to go out for 400km ride tomorrow and will soon find out. That said, compared to most if not all Harleys around my way, my full system is more of a whimper than a growl.

·
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've considered the Akropovic Ti header with cat and flapper just because it looks cool and sounds better, but I'd be sure to brag about the weight savings too.

I remember getting my pants blown off by the fastest bike ever made, at the time, I was young and crazy, it was a ZX11. My 2020 R has close to the same power and weight.
I looked at both the Ti options, but unfortunately, those ate not made for the pre-’19 LC (not that could see). If I were to upgrade my ’17, I would go one those options.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've never heard of an actual prosecution of an individual. But having done state inspections as a young man, in the USA it is up to 10years and or $100k fine for removing a cat.

But I don't take side on the issue. How do you prevent check engine lights with no cat or flapper though?
In Sweden the worst thing that can happen is that you need to be ashamed if the bike doesn't pass the MOT test and need to redo it again with OEM exhaust system installed. Will know next year when the first test is due on my bike.

On bikes with lambda sensors installed before the cat only, you don't get a warning light without cat and for the flapper valve the servo motor is kept installed, so no light either. This as the bike thinks everything is working ok.

·
Super Moderator
5,434 Posts
for the flapper valve the servo motor is kept installed
Following this approach, you're not completely immune from warning lights. Without the cables being connected to a flapper valve, the valve calibration cycle runs the servo through to the internal limit stops rather than the butterfly limits. Eventually one of the stops will break off causing the control servo to fail and a warning light to appear.

The best solution is to install a Healtech or Servo Buddy exhaust flap eliminator. These emulate the servo controller, feeding back expected response to the ECU. You can still leave the servo assembly in place (without cables) for appearances if you choose.

Reactions: Mumkas

·
Registered
77 Posts
Following this approach, you're not completely immune from warning lights. Without the cables being connected to a flapper valve, the valve calibration cycle runs the servo through to the internal limit stops rather than the butterfly limits. Eventually one of the stops will break off causing the control servo to fail and a warning light to appear.

The best solution is to install a Healtech or Servo Buddy exhaust flap eliminator. These emulate the servo controller, feeding back expected response to the ECU. You can still leave the servo assembly in place (without cables) for appearances if you choose.
Yes I read about this issue but didn't dig into it deeper, but it has been in my mind. Thanks for the tip and something to take a closer look at during the winter.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At this stage, no issues or warning light. However, if I do get a warning light, I'll install a Servo Buddy. That said, I'll still not 100% convinced if I can live with increased exhaust note. It sounds great as it is but if it gets annoying over long-distance ride, I'll give the headers the flick.

·
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
77 Posts
That said, I'll still not 100% convinced if I can live with increased exhaust note. It sounds great as it is but if it gets annoying over long-distance ride, I'll give the headers the flick.

Haven't done any long distance riding this summer due to the situation with Covid, but 2 hours riding to visit a friend was not an issue at all. So for me I will keep it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts