BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The R1200R is a great bike - I've just taken delivery of my third new one. But the OEM 'Sport Screen' fitted is about the size of a thumb-nail and about as useful, so I need a slightly larger screen (say + 70 - 90mm taller, and maybe a bit wider) that will give a little more protection without going the whole hog of a full touring screen. That can come later.

I'd greatly appreciate guidance on vendor or manufacturer websites that can show me what's available and from which I can order on-line.

Cheers from Down Under...

L of S

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Clem - the CeeBaileys item looks pretty good and is priced right!

L of S

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am 5'11", wide shoulders, 32" inseam and 35" sleeves. Mostly I sit up or lean forward to take weight off my lower back but that's limited by knuckle-dragging arms. The bike came with a BMW sportscreen and 20" touring screen with an airflow cut-out on each side - very stout - not sure if it's BMW. I dismissed the sportscreen as useless for an old man with a hinky neck - more below.

The 20" screen put a burble in my face that wanted to blow helmet pivoting faceshields up or down, depending, and put turbulance on my upper chest. It'd be great for a shorter guy which the PO evidently was. I bought a used (like new) 25" Cee Bailey and things went pretty quiet without a noticeable cost for extra fuel. Face screens stay put, burble is gone, bugs hit eyeball level or higher and, on a cold day, it's great. Helmet vents work and air is quiet around my chest. I'm a fan. The view over the screen is about 10-15 yards ahead of the bike. This 25" is the "new" Cee Bailey which, I understand, has a small headlight recess cut out of the lower edge.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/1200r07ws.html

A couple of weeks ago we had five or six days in the high 70's and low 80's so I tried the sportscreen after reading nice things; besides keeping bugs off the speedo (but not me) it gave a very quiet helmet and evened the airflow over my head and chest. It's quite good, I think. My only bother is when I look down/behind to check for a lane change above 60mph the helmet catches wind and pulls hard on my neck. (A few months post cervical fusion it seems hard to me - it'd be nothing much for someone whose neck is 100%.) I like the sportscreen fine for local riding in warm weather. If I go more than 50-miles from home with a good chance of rain I'm changing it out, though. Five minute change - no big deal.

·
Registered
168 Posts
screen debate

i hope everyone who is interested in windscreens reads this..

the 1200r is a NAKED bike, so if you're thinking about getting one of those big, high, and frankly pretty ugly screens, DON'T. the bike is not meant to give you the ultimate in comfort against wind, it's a naked bike and that's what we love about it, the lines, the cool factor, the unencumbered engineering, the style, and of course the performance.

i have the "touring" screen that BMW offers for this bike and it does provide some buffering against wind at speed, and i've gotten used to feeling the wind on the highway, but it fits the bike and while i don't love the looks, it's a necessary compromise or a guy who uses his bike to tour, alot. it's a small price to pay to maintain the great looks of the "r" while giving some resistance to wind.

let's all face it, what the bike looks like MATTERS, and those high, after market screens ruin the true DNA and character of this bike. my screen is as big as i'd ever want on this bike. ok i'm done now:001_tt1:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just mounted a Wunderlich cafe screen, and after 100 km (FINALLY, first ride of the year) I'd have to say it's perfect for me. Looks great to my eyes, leaves lots of air moving but really smooths it out, MUCH better than the OEM sport screen does. No turbulence at all up to 130 km/h or so (about 80 mph). As rebobd said, I much prefer the look of the bike with the smaller unit. Having said that, I also mounted a set of Barkbuster hand guards for hand protection ... not so pretty, but functional. Actually, they're the same colour as the bike (black) so don't look too obvious.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
i hope everyone who is interested in windscreens reads this..

the 1200r is a NAKED bike, so if you're thinking about getting one of those big, high, and frankly pretty ugly screens, DON'T. the bike is not meant to give you the ultimate in comfort against wind, it's a naked bike and that's what we love about it, the lines, the cool factor, the unencumbered engineering, the style, and of course the performance.

i have the "touring" screen that BMW offers for this bike and it does provide some buffering against wind at speed, and i've gotten used to feeling the wind on the highway, but it fits the bike and while i don't love the looks, it's a necessary compromise or a guy who uses his bike to tour, alot. it's a small price to pay to maintain the great looks of the "r" while giving some resistance to wind.

let's all face it, what the bike looks like MATTERS, and those high, after market screens ruin the true DNA and character of this bike. my screen is as big as i'd ever want on this bike. ok i'm done now:001_tt1:
I agree. I have the touring screen and in all reality, it's not *that* big :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
...the 1200r is a NAKED bike, so if you're thinking about getting one of those big, high, and frankly pretty ugly [tank bags] DON'T. the bike is not meant to give you the ultimate in... [storage space]
I know someone who feels the same way about tank bags.:D

·
Registered
168 Posts
agree on tank bags, but when you're touring for 3 or 4 days or more, sometimes you have to have your important articles within reach. also, i sold my saddlebags a long time ago, i won't put those big clunky cases on my bike! i'll take a tank bag over side cases any day :)

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just mounted a Wunderlich cafe screen,
Larry - is this the W'lich 'Trophy' fairing/ screen? I have been trying to get one in Montego Blue for my '13 R, but as it's a new colour for 2013 W'lich have not yet got around to producing that particular hue.

I may have to resort to getting a silver one and having it spray-painted here...

L of S

·
Registered
22 Posts
I put the Cee Baily 19" touring screen on my 2013 12R for winter. It looks great! I was prepared for the worst possible profile but it actually looks right in this size. Less wind on my chest, quiet with my visor partially open even at speeds of 60-65 mph. I'm 5ft5, 30" inseam. I'll put the OEM screen back on in spring.

This is their 21" screen:

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
People in California should not be allowed to use the word "winter".
Who is 'winter'?

L of S

SE Queensland, Australia - where it's 'beautiful one day, perfect the next'.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm really enjoying the 19" winter screen. All winter long, it has protected me from rain and wind. Every winter, I will probably use this screen. I highly recommend this this for anyone who is looking for winter protection.

~signed
Winter in SF

·
Registered
743 Posts
Sorry, I'm wrong, that's bone chilling. Hope you have a sweater and light wind breaker.

·
Registered
95 Posts
BluBeast, I'm looking for a tall screen and considering the CeeBailey. I see that you are 5'5", do you look over the 19" screen? I'm 5'9.5" and was planning on the 21" screen, as they recommend. My inseam is 31".
I was actually going to try the 19" to try to eliminate that "barn door" look. No way I would put on the 23".

cheers,

·
Registered
22 Posts
BluBeast, I'm looking for a tall screen and considering the CeeBailey. I see that you are 5'5", do you look over the 19" screen? I'm 5'9.5" and was planning on the 21" screen, as they recommend. My inseam is 31".
I was actually going to try the 19" to try to eliminate that "barn door" look. No way I would put on the 23".

cheers,
I can just see over the top of it. When I come to a stop, I must choose where I am going to plant my foot, ahead of time, since I have to look 10 feet ahead when I come to a stop or I look through a distorted winshield and it throws my balance off.

As far as highway speed goes, I just barely escape the noise zone. If I duck down a bit, it's quiet, if I stand up, it's quiet. If I lift my head 2 inches, it's noisy.

I might be thinking of another manufacturer, but I could have sworn that Cee Baily will swap out the size of your screen if it's the wrong size and the screen is still in good condition.

Btw, I wear a Schuberth CW3 Pro.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for the reply BluBeast. Sounds as if the 21" should do me, as I want the top somewhere between my chin and nose, no higher.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
The Cee Bailey touring windshield works great. It has a little curve at the top that seems to reduce the buffeting.

The Calsci windshield I tried first had more buffeting.

The Cee Bailey also leans back more than the Calsci which might be the reason there is less buffeting.

We have a lot bugs in the summer and I cannot imagine riding without a windshield. I don't know how the Harley and crotch rocket guys do it.:icon_scratch:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts