BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Does anyone know if the top box from the new BMW C650GT Super Scooter will fit the R1200R's integrated rear rack. Looking through the blurb and at a few of the pictures for the 650 the rack looks identical?

I quite like the 28l BMW top box for the R because of its neat fitment. I don't want something too big and I think the box off the 650 looks a good size and it appears to be a reasonable price for a BMW product. In fact it's cheaper than the 28l version which is recommended for the R.

Your thoughts would be welcomed?

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I bought the BMW 'Soft Bag' in place of hard top-box. The 'Soft Bag' - two sizes I think - mine is about 30L - is made of soft-ish plastics material and seems to suit the bike very well, and has sufficient capacity to take me away for a cuppla weeks at least. Recommended as an alternative, and probably a lot cheaper too.

Look it up...

L of S

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got a Givi Blade 47ltr.
Had it on my Vstrom...it blends in pretty good with the Beemer side cases..A bit on the large size but the pic does makes it look a bit bigger than in real life.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a Givi Blade 47ltr.
Had it on my Vstrom...it blends in pretty good with the Beemer side cases..A bit on the large size but the pic does makes it look a bit bigger than in real life.
Looks good, did you just attach the givi plate straight onto the BMW rack? If so how solid is the box?

·
Registered
55 Posts
The rack is the same (parts 71 60 7 653 017 & 46 54 7 697 252). So it should accomodate both top cases but the C650GT case is larger (35 L) yet surprisingly cheaper (US$304 vs $472).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent, thanks for the info. With the price difference and larger capacity this is the box option I will be choosing. I will post some pictures when I get hold of the case and put it on the bike... Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks good, did you just attach the givi plate straight onto the BMW rack? If so how solid is the box?
I havent yet, just eyebolled it so far...been a bit bussy with the house and the weather here still sucks.
It looks ferly streight forward and there may be some flexability in back and forth choice of placement. It should be as solid as anything else.

Hopefully I will get around to it within next couple weeks and will post my results alltho seems you have already made a decision.

Love this bike :10:

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
alternative Top Box

Take a look at <Third Gear.com> (or maybe <com.au>.

They have some very good looking incredibly well-priced top boxes, some capable of taking one or others two helmets.

I've just ordered a 28L box from them (see my post under General - asking for help with installing lights in it) for < $50.

L of S

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Take a look at <Third Gear.com> (or maybe <com.au>.

They have some very good looking incredibly well-priced top boxes, some capable of taking one or others two helmets.

I've just ordered a 28L box from them (see my post under General - asking for help with installing lights in it) for < $50.

L of S
LofS Agreed; eBay is another source for low price top boxes, and they are just as durable as the higher priced units.

After trying two different size 50 dollar tc's I bought a Givi midsize (one helmet plus stuff) for about twice the price, plus the rubber backrest that goes with it. I got sent a backrest where the bolt thread was set too deeply so one bolt didn't catch. I wound up having to drill out the (plastic) threads inside the backrest, stick a metal threaded collar with teeth in the drilled out holes, fill the wreckage of the inside of the backrest with crazyglue gel and Lexel, and then FINALLY, screw the whole thing back - so paying for the Brand Name doesn't always get you a better item. If there had been a backrest available for my 50 dollar box, I bet it would have installed without a problem :)

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I couldn’t be more pleased with my new $49 top-box, now installed and working well. At that price I was prepared to be disappointed, maybe, with perhaps a flimsy and shoddily-made item, but this would do BMW proud (if at ten times the cost from Motorrad!)

It comes complete with a moulded mounting plate that is highly adaptable to suit many different bikes, plus some hardware to suit. The 28L case itself is extremely well-made and finished – even the little straps that stop the lid from falling too far forward when it’s opened are shapely and nicely moulded, when a piece of string might have been expected!

As promised, the case takes my L-size full-face helmet, laid on its side, and the whole unit can be quickly and easily removed from the bike if wanted. A larger 51L version taking two helmets is also available for a measly $69.

See pix: and in one of them that’s me, not George Clooney! As usual when this sort of case is fitted to a bike – any bike – it possibly looks a bit over-sized for the bike, but once the rider is aboard it assumes its proper proportions, looking ‘just right’.

Well recommended from <thirdgear.com.au> though I’m sure that many other on-line sites will have identical very affordable products from the same factory. Usual disclaimer…

Lawrence of Suburbia

Outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
L of S, nice looking bike, love the colour. The only problem I see with the topbox is it overlaps the passenger seat by quite a bit. Not a problem if you never take a passenger.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
The only problem I see with the topbox is it overlaps the passenger seat by quite a bit. Not a problem if you never take a passenger.
Definitely NOT a problem, Dave - but well-spotted. I never, EVER carry a pillion!

But the location of the case was carefully considered - not so far forward that it would impede my ease of getting on and off: not so far back that it would look 'unbalanced' visually on the bike.

But wait - there's more! The case (on its mounting plate) actually hinges upwards from the back so that I can access the under-seat space - such as it is - without having to remove the lot.

It seems very workable.

How's Kent these days? - my mother and sister both live there.

L of S

outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Kent is always busy. There are some nice roads but they're spoilt by traffic. The one advantage of living in Kent is France is close!!! The roads over the Channel are better, quieter and motorcyclists are treated with a lot more respect.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
The one advantage of living in Kent is France is close!!! The roads over the Channel are better, quieter and motorcyclists are treated with a lot more respect.
Yeah - green with envy! I read elsewhere a UK rider who very casually mentioned that he was just popping-over to Sicily!!!

L of S

1 - 14 of 14 Posts