BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
I have ridden/owned most bikes in the BMW line. I have always loved the flat twin for its "character". I was planning on buying the GSA anniversary edition this week. When I went to my dealer to finalize the decision they had a Classic R1200R that caught my eye. I have always loved the look off the R but never really gave it any serious consideration. That said, I decided to take the R for a ride. I love how light the bike feels, the relatively sharp handling and the fact the seating is fairly comfortable. Most importantly the bike is "calling me".

I want to make sure I'm not kidding myself thinking the R will do what I want without too much compromise. In my mind I can commute, enjoy "open air" sunny day rides and take it to the track 3-4 times a year (which is something the GS/GSA can not do well). I have other bikes for long rides so I don't see the R needing to pull touring duty (but I understand many do). I would like to hear from folks that use the R for a similar mix of activity and how happy (or not) they are with it.

Premium Member
Welcome to the R1200R Forum. There are over one thousand members here and we all love this bike. It's entirely possible we are ALL just kidding ourselves, but this Roadster really does handle so many different tasks very well. I do not know another bike that can satisfy so many uses, and I'm so infatuated with the Roadster that I'm not really looking for another motorcycle. This is the one!!!

Premium Member
These are our impressions as well. It's a do-everything bike. It's also pretty much bullet-proof; able to ride in almost any conditions, with engines that last way over 100k.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the feedback thus far guys. My last R was a 2011 GSA. I believe it's the same motor and state of tune - just a lot less heft to push along. True?

I am able to get a pretty good deal from my dealer on a 2013 Classic but the bike only has ABS and grips. No waiting; I can take it next Saturday. What is the preference with the R1200R crowd regarding ASC and ESA. I don't so much care if I have it ... but I'm thinking of resale if/when that day comes.

Registered
Do you mind sharing how much they are selling you the 2013 R1200R for? I'm interested in purchasing the R1200R as well but they are not discounting at all over here.Thanks

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
Do you mind sharing how much they are selling you the 2013 R1200R for? I'm interested in purchasing the R1200R as well but they are not discounting at all over here.Thanks
I have purchased more than 20 bikes from the dealer where I am buying my R1200R. It is BMW Motorcycles of Grand Rapids. I would give them a call a see what they can do. GREAT bunch of guys. 616-530-6900 if you want to give them a call.

Registered
Thanks for the feedback thus far guys. My last R was a 2011 GSA. I believe it's the same motor and state of tune - just a lot less heft to push along. True?
I am able to get a pretty good deal from my dealer on a 2013 Classic but the bike only has ABS and grips. No waiting; I can take it next Saturday. What is the preference with the R1200R crowd regarding ASC and ESA. I don't so much care if I have it ... but I'm thinking of resale if/when that day comes.
TC - I have just taken delivery of my third 1200R, in-between having had three 1200 1200GSs (not the Adv version). The R is exactly the same as a GS, just with slightly shorter legs and 2L lesser tank capacity (I gave up on the GS as at my age of - now - 73 I was finding it becoming tricky getting on and off, especially when fully laden for trips).

Regarding electronic 'goodies' other than ABs, my strong opinion (and I've had them all!) is that ABS is all you really need, the rest being electronic overkill, IMHO. ESA I find to be 'set and forget' as I only ever ride solo and with at most minimal luggage. ASC is overkill for me (granted: like ABs it may save your life one day, but...): RDC (tyre-pressure monitoring) is far more trouble than it's worth: and the fuel tank read-out of 'km to go before empty' causes more trouble to more R1200 riders (R and GS, and other BMW bikes) than any other item of equipment. My overriding choice would be to simplify, and save money, by choosing just the two items you've nominated - ABS and heated grips. BTW - I have all the goodies on my current bike, it was a matter of take-it-or-leave-it, so...

The 1200R is an excellent machine for me - I use it for a once-a-week long-ish recreatonal ride (say up to around 400km) plus two or three pretty long trips per year of 4500+ km. Never been let down on the road, it's comfy (comfort seat fitted), has adequate wind protection if you fit an aftermarket screen in place of the thumb-nail OE Sport Screen, and is economical to run (I get around 4.4/ 4.5L per 100km).

And I've always found the BMWs to retain excellent value for resale (if carefully looked after, of course).

Do enjoy...

L of S

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10
L of S,

Thanks for the insight. I'm 46 and find the GS/GSA to get a bit tiresome when fully loaded. I am drawn to the R12R because of the great versatility and its potential for track duty. I really like the flat twin character and am excited to give the Roadster a run. I too think many of the electronics are simply a possible source of annoyance and potential failure. Glad to hear supporting opinion (read validation) in that regard.

Registered
There is an ASC retrofit kit the dealer can install with a software update and new switch gear. I'd negotiate this into the deal. ASC from the factory is somewhere around $500. Like the ABS, the first time ASC keeps you from going down, it's paid for itself.

ESA is overkill for exclusive one-up riding. Take off the OEM shocks immediately and apply the savings for Ohlins or Hyperpros, which can be fine tuned to your weigh and riding style. The difference between the OEMs and aftermarket can be dramatic. When you resell, reinstall the "new" OEM shocks.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
There is an ASC retrofit kit the dealer can install with a software update and new switch gear. I'd negotiate this into the deal. ASC from the factory is somewhere around $500. Like the ABS, the first time ASC keeps you from going down, it's paid for itself.

ESA is overkill for exclusive one-up riding. Take off the OEM shocks immediately and apply the savings for Ohlins or Hyperpros, which can be fine tuned to your weigh and riding style. The difference between the OEMs and aftermarket can be dramatic. When you resell, reinstall the "new" OEM shocks.
Good recommendation. I've been looking for Ohlins. The only ones I can find say they fit the R1200R up to 2010. Was there a chassis/frame change after 2010 or is the model info just not current?

Registered
When I e-mailed Ohlins they said the same part # for my '11 as what's on there for the '10. I bought a bike with ESA and I don't care for it at all. At first I was like yea cool, check out what this will do. Now I wish I had something with more adjustment. :ninja:

Premium Member
Don't forget to take a close look at the new GS, cruise control, slippery
clutch, water cooled, LED headlights..........

Premium Member
Welcome to the R1200R Forum. There are over one thousand members here and we all love this bike. It's entirely possible we are ALL just kidding ourselves, but this Roadster really does handle so many different tasks very well. I do not know another bike that can satisfy so many uses, and I'm so infatuated with the Roadster that I'm not really looking for another motorcycle. This is the one!!!
A BIG + 1 What Clem said. If you need more than the r12R is capable of giving you as a commuter on congested pothole ridden City streets and highways or off road, or cruising down a straight slab at speed, or on the track, or touring long (or short) distances with or without a Pillion, naked or fully dressed with panniers, top case, tank bag and all the electronic wizardry out there, you are one **** of a motorcycle rider. Admittedly Casey Stoner wouldn't have this bike on his list of track bikes, and it doesn't have the comfort that a Goldwing would on a cross country trip on open slabs, or the ability to ford raging rivers with whitewater up to your privates like a GSA; but look one notch down in any of these situations and you will find the R12R waiting and ably at your service.

Registered
I'd say go for the R1200R, it is an awesome bike for all the reasons stated before. I commute half the week on my bike and my commute is 96 miles round trip. I've also done a 2400 mile trip in 6 days with the BMW hard side cases and a water proof duffle bag. The bike performed awesomely and flawlessly for the entire trip. I've had the bike for a year now and just rolled over 10300 miles and its been absolutely flawless (knocking on wood like crazy :) ). I'm also on my original set of Metzler Z8 tires. I'm hoping my rear will make the 12K miles service and I'll replace it then.

The bike does all on-road duties well. You'll love it the more you ride it.

Premium Member
I'd say go for the R1200R, it is an awesome bike for all the reasons stated before. I commute half the week on my bike and my commute is 96 miles round trip. I've also done a 2400 mile trip in 6 days with the BMW hard side cases and a water proof duffle bag. The bike performed awesomely and flawlessly for the entire trip. I've had the bike for a year now and just rolled over 10300 miles and its been absolutely flawless (knocking on wood like crazy :) ). I'm also on my original set of Metzler Z8 tires. I'm hoping my rear will make the 12K miles service and I'll replace it then.

The bike does all on-road duties well. You'll love it the more you ride it.
+1!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #19

Great feedback and forum everyone. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts