BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello R1200R Friends, I've had my 2012 R1200R for a couple of months now and as the nights are drawing in here in the UK, I have increasingly struggled seeing the Instrument Panel because the ambient light brightness comes in very late. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there an adjustment anywhere? When it's twilight, if I put my gloved finger over the sensor at the bottom of the rev counter, the Instrument Panel lights up, so it's working, but for my eyesight, it seems to come on only when it is almost dark. Any thoughts. RobA.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mr Ed for the suggestion. I thought I would try that if I don't get any further with finding out if there is some sort of adjustment. The black tape idea is a good one but then it may well mean that the dashboard lights are on most of the time and I'm not sure if that's ok. Rob.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks DJ Fission. This is what I suspected, but bow to the greater knowledge and experience of the group. I think it will have to be a bit of black sticky tape!! RobA.

·
Registered
824 Posts
RobA, I have noticed the same thing, wishing that the sensor would put on the lamps sooner at the end of the day. (2012 R). No adjustments possible that I know of. Perhaps the dealers shop could alter its setting thru the canbus?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Surflj, thanks for your contribution. I had thought I would mention it when I next visit the dealer and see what they say. In the meantime, I guess it will be black sticky tape! RobA.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I think they'll just scratch their heads. There may be a setting for sensitivity though, because I never notice it as a problem, so maybe mine go on sooner?
I did notice once riding through a daytime rainstorm that the sensor glowed red when the storm was darkest. I cannot remember with certainty if the dash lights were on, but I think they were. I thought something might be wrong, but after that ride I asked the service techs and they had no idea.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Not that this will help in any way - but my sensor seems quite sensitive. On almost every ride I travel near home through a Motorway underpass (tunnel), only a hundred or so metres long, but immediately we enter it the dash illumination comes on, quite brightly.

L of S

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
you could try covering the sensor with the tinted plastic sheet material used on visors to block sun. try one layer to reduce the apparent ambient light, then try 2-3 layers to adjust. I have not tried this in the bike but have done it on other light sensors. good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
On my bike, 2015 R1200R, you can adjust the illumination from 1-5 via the multifunction switch on the left grip? Or am I misunderstanding things?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello NPS, Thanks for replying to this thread. I think you are talking about your bike, an LC version of the R1200R, while those in the earlier threat, including my own, are the oil cooled version. I don't think the adjustment you talk of exists on our model. But as it's on yours, maybe it has been a problem for some which they have rectified. RobA.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Yes, NPS, Rob is right.
On my 09 roadster there was no sensitivity adjustment.
On my 16 GS (LOVING IT BTW), there is an adjustment for the brightness of the dash. I still do not see an adjustment for its sensitivity though.
Tape on the dash is such a cruel solution

·
Registered
1 Posts
In 2018 model go to setup menu by pressing trip button shortly and scroll to setup. when you find setup press longer. Now you are in setup mode. press shortly trip and scroll to brightnes. Long press to adjust prightness.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts