BMW R1200R Forum banner

Android Phone Mounts

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  MikeHSG 
#1 ·
Hi all
After lots of searches, I couldn't find any recommendations for best position for an android phone on a 2017 R1200R with Nav mount. Apologies if there is already a thread about this...but I just couldn't find it.

I am looking at a quad lock mount - not really wanting to remove the Nav V mount - so am wondering what the best location would be for a phone mount - mirror or handle-bar?

And also - easiest way to wiring in a USB charging point - I was thinking a direct tap off the battery to by-pass the BMW-controller thingie (bus)

Any suggestions, recommendations and diagrams/photos/videos greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance from New Zealand

#2 · (Edited)
... Any suggestions, recommendations and diagrams/photos/videos greatly appreciated
Hello,
Indeed, There are several threads in this forum about this topic, e.g. the neat solution/mount shown in this thread,
And another neat one - which attaches the mount to one of the instrument cluster mounting bolts shown in this thread,
As to me, prev owner of mine has installed it on the handlebar - just next to the nav mount - and to me it is OK - though not best - as one has to look further down under cluster (though alternatively you could bluetooth to phone and simply listen rather than watch),
And I do not have a permanent power cable running to it; instead I carry a cable in my panniers, and have a connector attached to battery, so if/when i need I deploy the cable and remove once done.

Some alternatives (which address both mounting + power) I have found and still debating, in case these are not old news to you,
Include re-purposing the nav mount (i.e. using it as a phone mount),
Among which the most shiny and capable is the WunderLINQ, BMW motorcycle smartphone controller charger,
As well as some cheaper and less capable alternatives like e.g. Acacia Mobile Phone Holder for BMW Motorcycle

(apology about the mess in our garage)

#3 ·
I just placed the Quadlock USB charger, which is direct wired to the battery in to my Quad Lock and bought a short Lightning cable to complete the system.
Works great.

#5 ·
I just placed the Quadlock USB charger, which is direct wired to the battery in to my Quad Lock and bought a short Lightning cable to complete the system.
Works great.
Thanks for this tip. 👍

#12 ·
I've been using a Ram Mount -X (scissors type) mount with the WunderlinQ. My phone is a cheapish Motorola G7 Power.
The WunderLinq was a bit wonky at first, but they've been great about updates for firmware, and support is always same-day. Once or twice it crashed, but the lastest firmware update sorted that out.

I've got a Schuberth C4 helmet with the Sena Bluetooth thing built in and it all works well together. Music, phone calls, navigation (Sygic maps or Google if I have Cell coverage)
Now if that covid **** would just go away.

#17 ·
Now when that dies (and based on the quality, it's going to...), I will be pulling the GPS prep off the bike and going with a Hondo Garage Juiced Squeeze so I've got a REALLY strong mount with Qi wireless charging. Qi goes just fine through a Ziplock for waterproofing as well, should I need it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.