BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finally got mine after months waiting. As soon as I knew this "special" model was coming out I decided I wanted it because it was the perfect mix between
this:

and this:

Two of my previous acquisitions and own custom creations I might add, an R1100R and R1200C Avant-garde.

So, the dealer immediately placed my order since I will have approximately 4 months to sell my two bikes at that moment the '95 R1100R and a heavily customized '02 H-D XL883R in order to be able to buy a brand new 90 Jahre R1200R.

Everything went better than planned, sold the old bikes in December and the 90 Anniversary arrived 1 month before expected.

I don't regret my decision, awesome bike. Way beyond the R110R. I don't want to customize the R1200R 90 because I like its scheme so much. But I will make the following changes:
add a BoosterPlug, K&N air filter, replace the whole exhaust system with a Remus one that eliminates the catalytic converter and has a titanium Hexacone muffler and will replace the tail light with a clear LED one. Already installed plastic valve cover guards.

Options that came with the bike:
Comfort seat
On board Computer
LED blinkers
Side cases mounts
ESA
ABS (now standard on all models)

At the dealer (they had her in the showroom one hour as much...):

At home:

Will post better pictures when able. Regards from Panama!

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
metalclaus, She's a real beauty! Congratulations. Thanks for the photos and welcome to the Roadster forum. You're going to love the Anniv. issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
With your [email protected] and full exhaust Im sure you are going to add some kind of fuel system enhancer ( power commander ). I would be interested on what you use and the performance gains from your modifacations. I want to go to a full exhaust and have not run in to anyone that has done it to the R1200R yet. Sure would appreciate your feedback. Thanks and Good Luck with your new bike , Glenn

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With your [email protected] and full exhaust Im sure you are going to add some kind of fuel system enhancer ( power commander ). I would be interested on what you use and the performance gains from your modifacations. I want to go to a full exhaust and have not run in to anyone that has done it to the R1200R yet. Sure would appreciate your feedback. Thanks and Good Luck with your new bike , Glenn
I'm only adding the BoosterPlug which supposedly enhances performance on low RPM and enriches mixture when accelerating. My experience with Remus full exhaust system and K&N filter was good with the 1100, with noticeable gains in performance and sound.

Will give my feedback when done on the 1200.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot also got heated grips, I don't think I'll ever use them here in the tropics... maybe in cold rains, I guess is nice to have them just in case or when traveling to other latitudes

·
Registered
359 Posts
You should be fine without a power commander using the booster plug. The stock fuel map will adjust for things such as filter and exhaust, but the stock map itself is lean for emissions. In other words it would work without anything extra, better with booster plug, and ideal with power commander and time on the dyno. Ain't nobody got time for that! :2guns:

Nice bike dude, let us know about your Remus. I'm sure it will be loud without the cat. Other than the slight weight loss you won't gain much of anything from removing the cat. Other than depleting the ozone lol. looks like you did some extra work to your old bikes. Cats on your old bikes are more restrictive but manufacturers wisened up and if you follow many bike publications the gains from slip to full exhaust has been minimized over the last couple iterations due to manufacturers trying to squeeze every last hp before you get it. Considering where the weight is on the bike and the $ dividing the two, you may be the first for a reason :p

I mean I hate money too

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice bike dude, let us know about your Remus. I'm sure it will be loud without the cat. Other than the slight weight loss you won't gain much of anything from removing the cat. Other than depleting the ozone lol. Considering where the weight is on the bike and the $ dividing the two, you may be the first for a reason :p

I mean I hate money too
Thanks, to be loud is the main reason behind the cat removal.. :001_cool:
I compensate the environmental damage using a Suzuki AN125 scooter as my main trasportation device

I got a great deal on the bike so I spent the saved money on the full exhaust. I'm eager to install it but I'll wait until the break in period ends.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, and also on changing that exhaust, whatever your reason is, noise, or looks, anything is better then that thing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After 140 km the original headers were getting stained as they are supposed to, loosing the nice fabric plating so I decided not to wait until the first service and changed the full exhaust system to Remus and the K&N air filter, the only original part that remained in the system is the flapper but still get a nice throaty sound on idle and low RPM.

Besides the notorious gain in performance and sound the Remus headers matches the gold and brass details on the 90th anniversary edition. They are titanium colored before installation but once installed and heated they started to turn gold. I think there's no need to mention the Hexacone looks way cooler than the stock big piece of junk.

I felt the fuel map adjusting immediately as the change was done, the bike changed considerably, now I have what I felt it was lacking before: more responsiveness and real motorcycle sound. Still need to install the BoosterPlug and a LED taillight, but I will do it at the dealer at the 1,000 km service since they told me that any electrical installation done outside will void the 2 year warranty.

Video: HERE

Pictures: at the Photo Gallery

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Funny video. Don't start any forest fires roasting hot dogs!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

More pictures at the photo gallery.

I just have to say that the stock pictures released by BMW don't do it justice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts