BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In addition to directions, music and audiobooks, the proximity alerts on Garmin devices are an invaluable, and sometimes overlooked, form of pushback against the red-light and speed-camera boondoggle expanding in city and county government across the USA. Last year, one speed camera in D.C. -- just one -- earned the District $7 million.

The alerts, which can be configured audibly and visually on your device, are one of the primary reasons I almost always motor with the Navi IV (a zumo 660 in black).

There are several databases that store the coordinates of the cameras that you can upload to your GPS. The POI Factory is easy to use, configurable and updates its database weekly or so. For $5, it's a no-brainer if you live in a part of the United States where the cameras are active. New ones appear monthly, so keep your data up to date. Or else ...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
agree fully.
The so-called "safety cameras" database is also ava fron Garmin for my 550 zumo. The subscription is $25/year.

Feel naked riding without it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Unless I misinterpreted something here there is an inference in the above script that someone on a motorcycle might permit their vehicle to exceed the speed limit, attempt to cross an intersection just before a light changes to red or some other questionable or nefarious act............what kind of hooligans have I associated myself with here?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wish we had red light cameras in SC. Running red lights are routine here in Charleston. I have seen people stopped and then change lanes just to run the light. Cameras would solve that.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I recently got a ticket from DC, going over the speed limit which is 35 mph, ridiculous on one of the main streets, I bet this is the camera that earned them that 7 millions.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I believe in making progress when safe to do so but have never felt the need for proximity alerts. I ride at or occasionally just over the speed limit but with proper observation know when to slow down a little. And if you run a red light you deserve a ticket. In France they're illegal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I believe in making progress when safe to do so but have never felt the need for proximity alerts. I ride at or occasionally just over the speed limit but with proper observation know when to slow down a little. And if you run a red light you deserve a ticket. In France they're illegal.
I downloaded a GPS app on my phone for a drive through France. I forget the name but it downloads the maps so I don't use data. Every now and then it would say "caution watch your speed". Took me a while to figure out it said this just before getting to a camera. :devil2: it's not a proximity alert its just a friendly reminder to watch my speed!(in the most convenient places)

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I wouldn't want to try to argue the case at the roadside if an over zealous gendarme pulled me over. I'm sure it's one of the French road laws they don't bother with, like reflective stickers on your helmet and carrying breathalyzer kits but I wouldn't want the hassle just in case.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Thanks for the info. I haven't used that feature yet, as I just wired up my new Zumo 350LM. Since my stolen TomTom Rider 2 is probably a paperweight by now... can't get updates, can't buy a charger or mc mount in the US, etc., this was probably a good thing. The zumo is nice. faster processor, quicker re-routing, bigger and brighter screen. Outrageously expensive... paid less for my laptop comuter... We had our maiden voyage today. Still learning it. Not too happy with the BaseCamp app, but seems to work well with TYRE in any event.

They put up a red light camera in my neighborhood. I've lived here for 20 years + and I don't know of any accidents that have ever occurred at that intersection. I do know that it's a "quick yellow" and the city got my money not long after the camera was installed. :001_9898: Not a fan.

Bob

·
Registered
85 Posts
3 years of commuting in DC and never once was caught by one of those. They almost always put the cameras in the same location so you knew they were there. I was just caught once, but no ticket ever materialized. I don't use radar/laser detectors either. It removes any doubt from a officer's mind that there was intention to speed.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
to be clear, I have no qualm with the redlight aspect of the cameras, though delayed reds are just as effective if not more so.
I want to know when a "safety camera" is out there though. I came across a few on this ride out west. At home they are all over, and tickets have been sent out for 27 in a 25. That has since been corrected to allow 10 mph over, so has been reported.

When the alert goes off I always check my speed; usually not an issue, but could be.

I have put the service on both my son's garmin and my wife's in their cars. Since installation 0 speeding rickets.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3 years of commuting in DC and never once was caught by one of those. They almost always put the cameras in the same location so you knew they were there. I was just caught once, but no ticket ever materialized. …
Well done. Maryland limits the speed cameras to construction work-zones and school zones. I got pinched because I hadn't updated my database in months. New ones pop up all the time. They're like a commuter tax.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
But isn't that the problem with proximity alerts, you stop observing and acting on what you see and rely on something to tell you to slow down? If you're in a construction or school zone you should be extra observant and already going slow.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well done. Maryland limits the speed cameras to construction work-zones and school zones. I got pinched because I hadn't updated my database in months. New ones pop up all the time. They're like a commuter tax.
I thought the commuter tax there was putting up with the drivers...

At some point, I guess I should embrace technology to assist with that. I just trust my own observation over others. I'd be curious to hear how accurate those points are.

Kind of funny story. Three years of driving in Germany, and the only ticket I got was from a camera that I knew was there. My daughter was in the backseat having a grand ole time and she distracted me enough to forget to slow down. Cost me all of €15.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
But isn't that the problem with proximity alerts, you stop observing and acting on what you see and rely on something to tell you to slow down? If you're in a construction or school zone you should be extra observant and already going slow.
:iagree:

But also to follow websterize's comment, I'm sure they know how much money they can make by "tricking" the cameras. Making 35mph limit on a 3 lane main road, only on few feet, so if you missed the sign, you are going the 45/50 established before on the same road, $$$$.

I know about this because after getting my DC ticket, I told my friend who liver there, who told me how that part of the road, 500 feet, its 35mph, the rest is 45mph, and apologize for not telling me.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was wrong -- Maryland installs speed cameras outside of school and work zones, too. http://www.mymcpnews.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/ATEU-Site-List_01Feb2013.pdf. The new cameras in the MoCo are smaller, with an integrated flash, and are place low on the ground. They look like a controller box you might see near a traffic light.

In D.C., the cameras are placed in more inconspicuous spots, such as on the median of the underpass as you exit underneath Washington Circle on K street. That thing is cash cow for the city and a true commuter tax. They do make drivers slow down.

As long as the governments continue to install new cameras, I'll continue to update my GPS database.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One camera, $8.1 million in tickets in past seven months.

Some who are ticketed complain that the District is out for the money rather than being concerned about safety or the law. City officials deny that charge.

Safety experts say people should not use that defense for violating speeding laws.
Speed cameras keep clicking away in the District

1 - 17 of 17 Posts