BMW R1200R Forum banner

Another new guy

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Bmwr1200r 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Just found this forum and had to join right away. I purchased an R1200R Classic this June (traded in an F800ST) and so far I'm loving the bike. I'm in the early stages of adding farkles but the bike doesn't really need too much as far as I'm concerned (maybe an oil tank :)). Although I'm equally sure that won't stop me adding farkles at all! I've been riding since the 70's (yes, I'm old) but have been riding full time for the last 20 years. Previous bikes include a Suzuki GS 650, a K75, a Triumph Sprint ST, and the F800. Hope to see you around the forum!

#4 ·
Hello adude. I see you're from Connecticut. I'm on Long Island but frequently take the ferry to Ct. More nice roads to ride there than here on LI. I recently bought an R 1200R to replace a GS. My wife, who has had her license for a number of years but hadn't utilized it in a while, wanted to ride again but was finding my GS too high. The switch to the "R" has helped her, and I have to say I've been really enjoying riding it myself. Got the bike from Max BMW in Ct. and will be taking it back there next week for the 600 mile service. New R owners seem to be joining this forum frequently. I guess people are finally realizing how wonderful a bike it is.

#7 ·
I think I just added the last Farkle I'll need (well, I do want to replace the weenie horn). It's a 59 cent O-ring from Ace Hardware... Yes, it does work as a throttle lock... works beautifully, as a matter of fact... and saved me $149.41 plus shipping...! :10:

Welcome aboard and I know you'll LOVE the new ride!

Bob

#16 ·
Hey Bob, drDave has a horn that will scare the stripes off a zebra. Steibel Nautilus??
STEBEL® ITALIA - Trombe Horns
Thanks, Clem... I had one of those on my VTX. But until someone can tell me that they've done a DIY install I'm not touching it 'cause of our friendly CANBUS. I know it can be wired directly to the battery with the optional wiring harness (very slick kit - that's what I used on the VTX) which comes with the relay and all. But i've only heard from guys who've had the shop install it. I'm too cheap to pay them!

Still considering a FIAMM Freeway Blaster as those are quite loud as well and should wire to existing leads with no draw problems - however, still, haven't heard from anyone who's done a diy on that one either. And for that I also want to know that it works with the OEM BMW connector and the aftermarket pigtail. Used one for my GPS connection and it was great, but... electrical turns me into Bob The Chickenhearted! :dizzy:

#10 ·
Wow, I guess I need to check this thread more often...

avocet; I bought my bike from Max as well. They are the only dealer in CT and are about 85 miles from my house but so far have been great. We do have some good roads up here but they usually aren't really long so you have to string them together, usually not a problem!

las; yup, loving it so far. The F800 pales in comparison.

Classic11; I enjoyed my Sprint ST quite a bit (mine was a 2000 955) and was considering a Triumph 800 Tiger but the dealership situation in CT just flat out sucks. Max is the only Euro bike dealer in the entire state. The Triumph dealer in New Haven is really a Japanese dealer that sells Triumphs on the side. Plus they don't provide the same level of support as Max does (like bike pickup and delivery). I put almost 40,000 miles on the Sprint prior to trading it in for the F800. I was primarily looking for something lighter. I had no issues with reliability at all.

yondrbob; are we ever really done farkling... :) And I've only just begun! All I've done so far are the Touratech TPS guard and the MachineartMoto valve cover guards. But I've got my eye on a few things... :001_tt1:

#11 ·
The Classic needs more CHROME. . .in my humble opinion

#14 ·
drDave I agree with you. The Classic has a gorgeous silver frame, and chrome really make her sparkle. Some top quality Euro clip-on mirrors, crome covers for the right side air intake nozzle and the left side throttle body cover.(black plastic isn't Classic) Chrome telelever pivot covers, frame covers L&R, a chrome headlight shroud, and chrome clutch & brake MC would be nice.
Now, I have the matte grey stealth machine. (they're faster!!!) The stiple finish telelever & Paralever suits me just fine. It's hardly noticed when I slide past the police station doing 15-20 over the speed limit. My bad. The red crotch rockets get pulled for doing 10 over. Hey, life sucks!

#19 ·
An other new guy joins the club!

Hi everyone,

I bought a 2010 r1200r two days ago with 2000 miles. She is beauriful! I used to have a gs 5 years ago, and I had many different bikes in between but once you've had a BMW , you're hooked!
I live in NYC, and on weekends I'm in dutchess county.
We should organize a ride once it gets a bit warmer. I'm dying to ride this machine.
Take care
Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.