BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know .....screens are not cool on naked bikes, but............I have just moved from a GS back to a 2016 12R having ridden an 1150R and a 1200R in the past. (p.s. love the improvements in the 16R compared to my 07R).

So for long and/or cold rides I want more than a sport screen - call me candy ass. I also want to be able to easily switch back to the sport screen when not riding all day, etc. I have only found one screen that uses the small BMW bracket - Wunderlich Touring screen (18"). All the others seem to require a new bracket making the switch more painful than I want. (I'm also not sure the 18" screen will be enough protection - I'm 5'7")

Anyone know of other screens I should consider that mount to the BMC sport bracket .....or any advice about the Wunderlich screen?? I like the ZTechnik but it needs its own bracket.

2013 R1200GS
2016 R1200R

🚴‍♀️

·
Registered
270 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pete - thanks it looks nice. Does it mount on the BMW sport bracket or do you need a special bracket?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Not sure what size mine is. Purchased it over 3 years ago. Revzilla does not designate it as the Sport model, but checking the dimensions of the screen that is on sale, it is about 6 inches shorter than the Touring model. If I had to guess, I would say that my screen is the touring model.

·
Registered
40 Posts
... Anyone know of other screens I should consider that mount to the BMC sport bracket .....or any advice about the Wunderlich screen?? ...
I have the original windscreen + Puig-tall-touring windscreen,
And the latter uses 6 mounting points - 4 of the original windscreen + 2 additional ones - which utilize small mounting brackets (red arrows in left photo);
With that, I have the Puig-tall-touring windscreen installed (right photo) during cold weather,
And once past cold weather I dissemble the Puig-tall-touring windscreen by removing 6 screws - while leaving the 2 small mounting brackets on the motorcycle (so as to not disturb their bolts, which connect to the top fork brace) - and install the original windscreen (left photo) till next cold weather.

p.s. Pete's windscreen, which looks very similar - if not identical - to mine, also seems to use 6 mounting points, if I am not mistaken.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Listed screen from Revzilla is 14.5 ". Yours appears to be the taller one listed as almost 21".
That is a good deal but understand it's the shorter of those available from Puig.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I know, I know .....screens are not cool on naked bikes, but............I have just moved from a GS back to a 2016 12R having ridden an 1150R and a 1200R in the past. (p.s. love the improvements in the 16R compared to my 07R).

So for long and/or cold rides I want more than a sport screen - call me candy ass. I also want to be able to easily switch back to the sport screen when not riding all day, etc. I have only found one screen that uses the small BMW bracket - Wunderlich Touring screen (18"). All the others seem to require a new bracket making the switch more painful than I want. (I'm also not sure the 18" screen will be enough protection - I'm 5'7")

Anyone know of other screens I should consider that mount to the BMC sport bracket .....or any advice about the Wunderlich screen?? I like the ZTechnik but it needs its own bracket.

2013 R1200GS
2016 R1200R

🚴‍♀️
Do you still have the small stock cover in front of the display? After reading a crapload of threads here on wind screens, and realizing that the stock BMW touring screen was worthless, I decided on the 20” VStream. I’m 5’9” and the 20” screen is a bit short but it works. It would be ideal for you, unless you care more about style than protection from the wind. I installed it in 10 minutes. Four bolts on the turn signal brackets.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also have the 20" ZTechnik, i am 5'7" and i find it just about perfect , i must add i also have 1" up and back risers fitted creating a slightly more up right riding position.
Thanks Doug - I do have the stock four bolt cover.....and as it turns out I am going with the puig 21" and I think it also will mount to the BMW with the existing four mounting holes. This way I can switch back to no screen easily.

·
Registered
110 Posts

2013 R1200GS
2016 R1200R

🚴‍♀️
Madstad does the trick, no tools pop off. But I genuinely found the install experience with them was mediocre - missing bolts, wrong parts. Great product, but meh service.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a Parrabellum, Mounts to the 4 stock windscreen mount. High Quality Screen. The heck with the look. Are you riding in a parade? It just needs to work for you. I am 5'8" and I got there Medium Screen. Works well..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you still have the small stock cover in front of the display? After reading a crapload of threads here on wind screens, and realizing that the stock BMW touring screen was worthless, I decided on the 20” VStream. I’m 5’9” and the 20” screen is a bit short but it works. It would be ideal for you, unless you care more about style than protection from the wind. I installed it in 10 minutes. Four bolts on the turn signal brackets.
I too have installed the V Stream on my 2018 R and love it. Don't think it looks bad at all. And who says windscreens aint cool on a naked bike?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the Wunderlich touring screen on a 1250 and was most unimpressed. At higher speeds, the noise was deafening even with -28 DB earplugs. No idea what it would be like on a 1200.

I cut the touring screen down so that the top of it is now level with the top of the reservoirs looking at the front of the bike. To my immense surprise, it now works extremely well. Good body protection, and my head is in clean noise-free air.

A lot of it seems to be affected by things that you might not necessarily think are relevant - one jacket I have with loose sleeves is much noisier and seems to generate turbulence. The cutdown screen works better with a modular Schuberth 4 than an Arai.

Before you buy any screen based on someone's suggestions, try and get a bit of info on how they ride. I have a friend who has an R1200 and I doubt he ever goes over about 65mph, and for him just about anything would work fine. More, um, enthusiastic riders will have totally different views.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks ......just ordered a Puig touring screen (21”) will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the Wunderlich touring screen on a 1250 and was most unimpressed. At higher speeds, the noise was deafening even with -28 DB earplugs. No idea what it would be like on a 1200.

I cut the touring screen down so that the top of it is now level with the top of the reservoirs looking at the front of the bike. To my immense surprise, it now works extremely well. Good body protection, and my head is in clean noise-free air.

A lot of it seems to be affected by things that you might not necessarily think are relevant - one jacket I have with loose sleeves is much noisier and seems to generate turbulence. The cutdown screen works better with a modular Schuberth 4 than an Arai.

Before you buy any screen based on someone's suggestions, try and get a bit of info on how they ride. I have a friend who has an R1200 and I doubt he ever goes over about 65mph, and for him just about anything would work fine. More, um, enthusiastic riders will have totally different views.
Good point, "How they ride". My V Stream looks, feels, performs rock solid. At 130mph not a flutter.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts