BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I know, I know .....screens are not cool on naked bikes, but............I have just moved from a GS back to a 2016 12R having ridden an 1150R and a 1200R in the past. (p.s. love the improvements in the 16R compared to my 07R).

So for long and/or cold rides I want more than a sport screen - call me candy ass. I also want to be able to easily switch back to the sport screen when not riding all day, etc. I have only found one screen that uses the small BMW bracket - Wunderlich Touring screen (18"). All the others seem to require a new bracket making the switch more painful than I want. (I'm also not sure the 18" screen will be enough protection - I'm 5'7")

Anyone know of other screens I should consider that mount to the BMC sport bracket .....or any advice about the Wunderlich screen?? I like the ZTechnik but it needs its own bracket.

2013 R1200GS
2016 R1200R

🚴‍♀️
I prefer the Ztechnik
Gives more coverage.
Yes, You need to purchase The Mounting brackets.
I do have for sell the low and medium size shields ONLY.
If You buy just the Mounting brackets we can talk about the shields and save You some money(shields in like new conditions)

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Nice looking bike.
NICE! By the looks of it you have the same one I put on my 2018 R. I cannot remember how they named each one but mine is the middle size one. Yours looks to be the darker tint.
Thanks! It’s the middle one with the middle tint. I don’t look through it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've tried the BMW Sport (short one), the Wunderlich Touring, the MRA Vario with spoiler.

They all kind of suck, so I went back to the BMW Sport screen, because it sucks less than the others. My neck hates it when my helmet gets yanked around, I've had 3 neck injuries from surfing over the course of my life, and the only thing that works is a Very Light, Well-Designed helmet, and the right pain meds. I see a physical therapist a few times a year, to keep my exercise routine fresh.
I've had the option to get my neck surgically messed with, but 4 different surgeons said I would never surf or ride a motorcycle again if I had 3 disks fused, 2 of them recommended a good anesthesiologist and try to live with it.
So yes, I might be happier, Neckwise with a touring bike. But I had an FJR that was so heavy, I practically broke my neck trying to move it around the garage!
I've considered getting an RS, and may yet get one, but I love the R1200R because it's ergonomically ideal for an old midget like me, and frankly if my neck gets grumpy, I can gobble up another Ibuprofen or a little stronger, take a 10 minute break, then resume.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've tried the BMW Sport (short one), the Wunderlich Touring, the MRA Vario with spoiler.

They all kind of suck, so I went back to the BMW Sport screen, because it sucks less than the others. My neck hates it when my helmet gets yanked around, I've had 3 neck injuries from surfing over the course of my life, and the only thing that works is a Very Light, Well-Designed helmet, and the right pain meds. I see a physical therapist a few times a year, to keep my exercise routine fresh.
I've had the option to get my neck surgically messed with, but 4 different surgeons said I would never surf or ride a motorcycle again if I had 3 disks fused, 2 of them recommended a good anesthesiologist and try to live with it.
So yes, I might be happier, Neckwise with a touring bike. But I had an FJR that was so heavy, I practically broke my neck trying to move it around the garage!
I've considered getting an RS, and may yet get one, but I love the R1200R because it's ergonomically ideal for an old midget like me, and frankly if my neck gets grumpy, I can gobble up another Ibuprofen or a little stronger, take a 10 minute break, then resume.
Totaled my 2014 GS in 2015 and had to have C-5 removed, so a metal plate now connects C-4 to C-6. I guess that would be the same as you're saying. Also had my shoulder sawn off and a cool reverse one put in. Whoever told you that you can't function after that is full of ****. I ride an R and an RS and a 1997 VFR750. Put a V-Stream windscreen on the R bike and I can stay tucked behind it well enough to ride cross country. I'd fire up and head out if I was you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m 5’10”. I’ve tried the California scientific as well as madstad in every position. Even added a MRA deflector. All give crazy buffeting around my visor level unless I crouch down. Maybe I should have bought an RT....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m 5’10”. I’ve tried the California scientific as well as madstad in every position. Even added a MRA deflector. All give crazy buffeting around my visor level unless I crouch down. Maybe I should have bought an RT....
I'm 5'10" too and having no problem doing 400-600 mile days with the V-Stream. I tend to lay forward on the tank bag a lot because of a bad back, but overall am very happy with the wind screen.

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
Note that a loose-fitting helmet will accentuate buffeting.

Mirror arm adjustment will also influence it. I’ve found that sweeping the arms back as much as workable for rear-vision reduces turbulence.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Note that a loose-fitting helmet will accentuate buffeting.

Mirror arm adjustment will also influence it. I’ve found that sweeping the arms back as much as workable for rear-vision reduces turbulence.
Ok, let’s take stock of what we all said. 1) small windscreens on 12R’s are probably worse than none, 2) mirror arm adjustment may help, 3) helmet choice is important, 4) there is no perfect windscreen that will work for each of us unless we all had the same height and inseam, 5) and while helmet choice matters, the best choice may be different based on the size and shape of one’s noggin.

Anyone want to suggest the helmet maker (assumes you get the right shape) to reduce turbulence? Is an Aria better for wind resistance than a Shoei, etc.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Ok, let’s take stock of what we all said. 1) small windscreens on 12R’s are probably worse than none, 2) mirror arm adjustment may help, 3) helmet choice is important, 4) there is no perfect windscreen that will work for each of us unless we all had the same height and inseam, 5) and while helmet choice matters, the best choice may be different based on the size and shape of one’s noggin.

Anyone want to suggest the helmet maker (assumes you get the right shape) to reduce turbulence? Is an Aria better for wind resistance than a Shoei, etc.
First thing is to find a helmet that fits your head - comfortable but snug. There must he some info out there about aerodynamics. The screen has to be high enough to direct the air over your helmet. My 20” VStream is about 2” too low ideally but it does direct the air over the helmet so my head area is quiet. The bottom of the screen is wide so it helps move the airstream outwards. I still get impacted on the arms. Hard to avoid that when you’re sitting up straight. I will check out moving the mirrors in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the V-Stream dark sport and clear tall (for winter). Word of caution to cover your dash when parked in the sun for extended periods, like at work. My speedo needle was melted by the screen. I got it back from the dead but had to take the dash apart.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts