BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Liked the look of the givi 35's and the price was $500 for a pair, which unless, I missed something is half the price of the bmw oem bags....are the givi bags quality.....large enough, any other options to consider.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Liked the look of the givi 35's and the price was $500 for a pair, which unless, I missed something is half the price of the bmw oem bags....are the givi bags quality.....large enough, any other options to consider.

Thanks!!
Givi quality is very good. I have a set of Givi E21 bags installed with an SWMotech rack. For me the OEM bags were too big and wide and I also like the idea of top loading bag. The Givi's are perfect for day to day riding and I add a Wunderlich tail bag when I take a longer trip. Keep in mind you will also need to get a Givi rack for your bike which I believe is about $230ish so your in the $750 range if you choose the 35's.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The quality of the GIVI is every bit as good. I find the styling a little glitzier which may appeal to some or put off others.

I've used BMW bags on my r1150r and they were fine. Givi s are on my r12r and they are fine.
I think the Givi s engage the rack a little easier than the BMW bags, but the rack for the GIVI is more noticeable when the bags are off the bike.

You won't go wrong with either.

Another price advantage though for the GIVI is when you get a topcase. They too are cheaper than the BMW cases, and for $30 they can easily all be keyed the same. I posted some side by side comparisons of the 1150 BMW sidecases, that are very similar to the ones for the 1200, vs the GIVI monokey.
The pictures are at the end of the entry. They were taken with a wide angle lens so the perspective is a little off, but they are about the same size.
http://www.r1200rforum.com/forum/bmw-r1200r-general-discussions-7/finely-farkled-my-new-ride-1237/

hope this helps. Not related in any way, but Revzilla is a good outfit to deal with and they sell GIVIs

John

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've used a set of Givis for nearly 10 years on my Bandit 1200 and will be getting mounts to transfer them to my new R1200R. Durable (10 years of use and literally no signs of wear), spacious, waterproof, easy on and off -- what's not to like? The BMW stuff is very good, but for the price of one BMW bag, let alone the cost of a BMW top box, I can get a complete set of SW Motech mounts. Done deal.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Quality of cases are equal. Givi have the advantage of being able to be swapped from bike to bike and are cheaper. BMW have the advantage of looking better and the bike looks better with them on or off.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Don't know the Givi ones but will recommend the Beemer ones, they are the best.

If I'm not doing a long trip nor going grocery shopping, I use a tailbag.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks!!
if you still haven't made a move on the hard bags, oem or givi are safe bets. quality, looks etc are at worst, very good. i would suggest also looking at hepco becker bags. ugly as a pig but you can go "gothic" on them as the man says and they come out smiling. however, as said here, the oem look right so when i was offered at good deal on them when buying my bike from max bmw, i went with them. again, all bags noted are high quality equipment, its up to you and how you prioritize price, looks, and any other personal requirments for bags that you may have. all are good choices. good luck......

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
And if you buy the OEM bags and want a narrower look, you can get the City Lids to replace the covers, and narrow your profile.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had the V35's since 09. They are a great bag. Lots of room No leaks. Transfered them to my 11 no problem. Straight bolt up. When I bought them I also bought a v46 top. all three with mounting hardware kits cost $700 less than the BMW side bags and top bag with mount. (side bag mounts for BMW came with the bike). The money I saved was enough to cover a 10 day 6000 mile trip around the US. ;)

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
And if you buy the OEM bags and want a narrower look, you can get the City Lids to replace the covers, and narrow your profile.
Does BMW still offer them?
I have not been able to find them in their literature.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've only used the OEM BMW bags on my bike. I've done two one week trips and they hold so much stuff that all I needed besides them was a small waterproof bag for my clothes. Tools, pumps, cleaning items, big bike lock, rain suit etc. all were easily carried in the OEM bags with room to spare.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Does BMW still offer them?
I have not been able to find them in their literature.
My local dealer found the City Case narrower lids for their OEM system side bags. BMW doesn't make it easy to find them, but it sounds like they still offer them.

I ordered a pair and I will report back after I get them.

The stock OEM side bags are huge. They are great for long trips, but for day trips it will be nice be able to have smaller bags I can leave on to put misc. stuff in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Personal choice is the BMW bags. Like the way they fit and also no rack when the bags are removed. I do agree with using the city lids and plan on getting a pair for my bags soon.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I found the City Lids on Craigslist. They are a much slimmer profile and for everyday use look a lot better than the hausfrau BMW hardbags. You unscrew the top lid of the BMW hardbags and screw on the narrower City Lids.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts