BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I to am also in the market for a efficient and cool looking Tank Gaurd for my night black R12R, any suggestions? I don't want to put any run of the mil stuff on my steed

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm looking at the C3 or Snake Skin "Gripster" products from Tech Spec. Are supposed to protect both the top of the tank (when you slide down the Uncomfort Seat on my 2007) and provide "grip" for those inclined to hang off in the canyons. There website is TechSpec USA but the only place I've found them for the R1200R is in their eBay store. Bit confused by that but thinking about ordering to see.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Tank Grip

I got the Gripster C3 set. They're very soft and flexible. Feel so comfortable. Didn't like the TechSpec factory cut for the R1200R, so got the GS tank grips to cut myself.

"C3" is our new synthica rubber. This (.100") thick grip pad offers excellent grip and the ultimate comfort in our GRIPSTER line. With the synthetic properties, you will feel a reduction of vibration and an increase in comfort. "C3" also uses our personal "Releasable Adhesive."

·
Registered
743 Posts
Tankslapper.....every bike I've had in the last 8 years has had the protection.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use Sniders paint guard on all of my bikes - you can get it from the Aerostitch website. It's clear vinyl cling sheets that you cut to any pattern you want. My secret is to wet it with detail spray, slide it around to the exact spot you want, and when it dries, there are no bubbles.

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
I use the 3M stonegaurd for mine, I like how its clear. On my f800s I placed the clear guard as a tank guard, cut out of gloss black vinyl a 'William Morris' wallpaper design, installed it over the rest of the matt black centre panel, trimmed excess away from the edges like so below

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Tank Grips

Since the Right & Left sides of the Roadster tank are shaped differently,
I decided to cut up a kit designed for the GS. Here's what resulted.

Erin's job was very slick form & professional finish. Nice!
Mine is a chop job at best. But it fits exactly where I need grip and tank protection.
The grain and color is close to the sport seat. Feels very soft and plush.
Makes corners, hard braking and fast curves just a bit more comfortable.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
... cut out of gloss black vinyl a 'William Morris' wallpaper design, installed it over the rest of the matt black centre panel, trimmed excess away from the edges like so below

That looks brilliant, Erin! Clever gel!!

BTW - do you still have the R? - I believed you were going to hand it back.

L of S

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Hi Lawrence

Yes I did send it back, and got my money back in full plus transport costs from the dealer. The owner who the dealer was selling on behalf of though ...was not very happy with me and suggested I was to fussy and that his advise to me was i should buy a new bike. :closedeyes: Fair enough I thought to myself.
Anyways I tracked down another r1200r a beautiful black 2007 its was immaculate with 23,000km's. I bought it privately and it was such a different experience than buying the other bike off the dealer. The fellow that owned it threw in 6months road user charges which is quiet expensive in New Zealand and a full tank of gas and went halves in transport to the other end of the country.
I have yet to post some photos up of it, I have already added a few 'farkels' waiting on a Remus exsooorsstt!!! and considering a trophy screen like you have.
I have some "Yacugar" shocks front and rear ordered from Ted Porter which hopefully should be arriving in the next two weeks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts