BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1250R and think it is a great bike but for air management - many posts on here will attest to my whining on this topic.

My recent but too-short test ride suggests the RS will be a better bike overall for me and my purposes, but at the cost of some 'flickability' and perhaps a decrease in the overall fun factor, somehow. The RS felt more deliberate, needing more positive steering inputs, whereas the R was almost Ducati-lite, almost just thinking about a turn was enough.

Hard to believe that the only difference is 0.6" of caster in BMW-parlance.

I haven't been able to find anything on gearing, so maybe there's a difference there, too.

Reactions: dbyker

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
561 Posts
I've posted several times about the difference(s) between the two bikes -- may have even started a thread comparing the two (I took both out for three long test rides each before buying my R) -- but your second paragraph sums up the basic difference...the lower and slightly narrower clip-on type bars, the awkwardly aggressive ergos, and the longer rake make for more ponderous, heavy handling, particularly in corners. Both are great bikes and have their assets, but I'm willing to give up a bit of air management for a (for me) much more engaging riding experience.

And, honestly, the air management of the RS didn't seem to me to be significantly enhanced over the R, which, for a naked bike, handles the air quite well. I traded in a FJR1300 with an OEM Touring windshield, so I know what true air management feels like. The RS may be slightly better than the R in that regard, sure, but not enough to sacrifice the perfect ergos and pheromonal handling of the R.

As far as other differences, e.g. gearing, no, I've not heard of any other differences.

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,641 Posts
FWIW, I echo RC65's sentiments about the RS. Test rode a R12RS a few years ago for about 20 minutes, and while it's a beautiful bike with decent wind management I found the ergos a bit too forward and crouchy/crunchy and the handling more ponderous than the naturally flickable R. Personal opinion and others will disagree.

Best, Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 1250R and think it is a great bike but for air management - many posts on here will attest to my whining on this topic.

My recent but too-short test ride suggests the RS will be a better bike overall for me and my purposes, but at the cost of some 'flickability' and perhaps a decrease in the overall fun factor, somehow. The RS felt more deliberate, needing more positive steering inputs, whereas the R was almost Ducati-lite, almost just thinking about a turn was enough.

Hard to believe that the only difference is 0.6" of caster in BMW-parlance.

I haven't been able to find anything on gearing, so maybe there's a difference there, too.
Hi JTL i changed from a 1200rs to the 1250r in march, i did try other screens on the RS but was never happy with any. there is some wind protection but not a lot. unless BMW have radically changed the screen. i i prefer the 1250r 3kilo lighter (ie faring) & more fun
i would try to get a longer test ride on the RS. saying that i am playing around with a small screen on the1250r as i have mounted the sat nav above the speedometer or what ever we call it nowadays, getting it ready for France (hopefully) next year.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interesting, Neilgw!

If your typical riding day was say 250+ miles and absolutely never less than 100, would you still pick the R over the RS?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very interesting, Neilgw!

If your typical riding day was say 250+ miles and absolutely never less than 100, would you still pick the R over the RS?
Hi JTL, at the moment i just had a hernia op wed so no riding for 12 weeks (sympathy required here) i normally i ride on average of 100/150 miles at about 50/60ish sometimes a bit more spirited, i dont have any issues with the wind factor at these speeds on the r1250r.
as i say i am playing about with a screen to cover the sat nav above the speedo. this is just to tidy the looks up. but this is just for next year. as i will revert to the standard position with the sat nav & take the screen off for local rides.i have had two other R models (2008 & 2014) before i bought my r1200rs (2015/2017) i suppose its a personal thing but i like the R better than the RS. i will tell you next year if managed 350 mpd. best wishes in your choice either one is a great bike

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the quick reply and best of luck re the hernia surgery. SWMBO has a hernia op scheduled next week, so I'll be brushing up on my cooking skills. Personally, beans on toast with the occasional fried egg sounds fine, but for some reason...

I agree with you 110%, were that mathematically possible. For speeds sub 60-ish, and for rides of 100-250 miles, I cannot think of a better bike than the R.

Where I live, I'm obliged cover substantial interstate/motorway miles on I-10 (think M1 Watford Gap & northwards but without the curves) before getting to any form of playground, and of course the same on the return. An hour or more each way at 70-80mph unfaired on the R is tedious. When you get to the twisty bits, it's a pure delight though.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
Dare I say it, but I’d prefer a GS over an RS, having ridden the former in the European Alps over the last few days. The road-biased Tourance Nexxt tyres are confidence inspiring in the twisties and I find it really quite flickable, with its high, wide ‘bars. I haven’t ridden my Roadster back-to-back, but on the GS I never felt I couldn’t go fast enough through the twisties. The Telelever soaks up the bumps well and for anything less than very fast carving, provides good feel. Never thought I’d say it.
And addressing your initial requirement, wind management seems pretty reasonable for me (6ft in the ‘old money’).

Reactions: dbyker

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good comments, thank you! Coincidentally, I've just come back from 3 weeks in Switzerland, enjoying riding on a friend's 1150R.

The R was near ideal - my 1250R would have been "idealer" - but on the rare occasions that we needed to be the other side country (and entire 2 hours or so!) the motorway was miserable.

I've had both GS and GSA while both were easy to handle - other than the GSA being just a giant beast of a thing - I found them a bit vague, remote, not well 'connected' to the road, and I'm not a huge fan of a bolt-upright riding position.

Loved the roominess of the GSA particularly, and both GS and GSA were remarkably capable off road. The BMW Performance Off-Road School was a revelation - cannot recommend it highly enough if you can get a deal on pricing. I was lucky enough to get the 2 day course, including using their bike, for under $800 total.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good comments, thank you! Coincidentally, I've just come back from 3 weeks in Switzerland, enjoying riding on a friend's 1150R.

The R was near ideal - my 1250R would have been "idealer" - but on the rare occasions that we needed to be the other side country (and entire 2 hours or so!) the motorway was miserable.

I've had both GS and GSA while both were easy to handle - other than the GSA being just a giant beast of a thing - I found them a bit vague, remote, not well 'connected' to the road, and I'm not a huge fan of a bolt-upright riding position.

Loved the roominess of the GSA particularly, and both GS and GSA were remarkably capable off road. The BMW Performance Off-Road School was a revelation - cannot recommend it highly enough if you can get a deal on pricing. I was lucky enough to get the 2 day course, including using their bike, for under $800 total.

I put one of these on my R1250R and it has 'wind management' sorted. Z2356 VStream+® Sport Replacement Screen for BMW® R1250R
I have taken multi-day trips in all kinds of weather and it puts the wind right at shoulder level (5'6"). The bike was used and had the larger sport-tour screen. The taller plastic does more wind blocking but theres a bit of turbulence that was not a deal breaker, but not perfect either, and the shorter one did the trick. So far, the R1250R does everything pretty damn well. Last time we had a little 'shortcut' and it did OK on gravel too! Great bike.
Tire Plant Wheel Plant community Automotive tire

Reactions: p29857

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I've said this more than once... My perfect bike would be an RS with R handlebars and front fork lower brackets+fender.

I love the look of the RS, but only if I could swap the R ergos and handling onto it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's where I'm heading.

Either R or Wunderlich bars, and the fork tubes from the R. Not an inexpensive proposition, but one that I think will be well worth it.

And keeping the Seth Laam seat, rear shock and all the other farkles from the R, which should simply swap across over a long weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts