BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
:dizzy:Hello to All,
I have just been catching up on some of the Forum posts and have been astonished (and reminded) of the untimely and inconvenience of the dreaded tyre puncture. Rarely can they be avoided. I remember being told the front tyre will turn and flick up a nail or screw, guiding it with aerodynamic efficiency right into the path of the relatively NEW rear tyre.
Such is the curse of the puncture.

Has anyone ever heard of or seen a small device like a mud flap that was fitted behind the front tyre ( near the oil radiator) or centre stand, that would deflect any objects displaced by the front tyre away from rear tyre. I seem to recall reading about this sometime ago. Now that I am back riding again and having had a puncture in a relatively new car tyre (that could not be repaired), my interest in this has increased.

I envisage a single pivoted arrow like structure with a horizontal attitude and rubber base flap ( to account for excessive lean).

Can anyone recall this or do I simply have too much time on my hands ( be kind).

Best regards
john

Premium Member
John, not heard of the problem or the solution. I would have thought anything flicked up by the front tyre is more likely to catch the oil cooler or underside of the engine.

Premium Member
There are fender extender kits for the BMWs. (Pyramid Plastics Fender Extender) H-D uses mud flaps and several sites have a selection of designs. Some are made of plastics, and some are leather.
Our R1200Roadsters have a crossover exhaust pipe just below the oil cooler, so if you choose plastic, it would have to be strong enough not be deformed by the wind.
Leather doesn't melt or burn like plastic, but in time, would also be a mess if pressed against the hot exhaust pipe.
If you handcraft a guard for the rear tire yourself, please post some photos. Members are always interested in new ideas for the bike. Exhaust pipes, hand guards, and windshield mounting are always popular threads.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Dear Clem and Dave,
Thank you for your input. I have given this more thought and will shortly start to put a prototype together for evauation. There are times I wish I had access to the tools and machine shop of years gone by.
Best wishes
John

Registered
:dizzy:Hello to All,
I remember being told the front tyre will turn and flick up a nail or screw, guiding it with aerodynamic efficiency right into the path of the relatively NEW rear tyre.

Has anyone ever heard of or seen a small device like a mud flap that was fitted behind the front tyre ( near the oil radiator) or centre stand, that would deflect any objects displaced by the front tyre away from rear tyre.
Can anyone recall this or do I simply have too much time on my hands ( be kind).

Best regards
john
I hope it's not that you just have too much time on your hands. I can pesonally attest to the phenomenon. Once you hear a little "tink-tink" noise from the front you might as well head directly to the shop for tire repair in the rear. My road handle on forums used to be "NailGun" for that reason. Happened to me no less than 7 times on my last bike. Happened to my son on his SV650 just last week. :censored:

I've often longed for some sort of front end super magnet street sweeper to solve this problem. You may have your first customer if you come up with something. :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts