BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
R1200R LC 2017
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I also like to go through threads in which people explain what they all have done to make their bikes even better, I thought I also share all changes I have done.
I have this bike for two years now, and intend to keep it for many years to come.
For me it is just perfect (but only after some modifications I did ;) ).

I bought the bike pretty standard, because I wanted one without the ESA suspension.
Reason for that is that I want want to do my own set-up and geometry without ESA to interfere...
After I get to know the bike, I started upgrading the bike to my liking.

What I didn't do myself, was installing the BMW quickshifter and the BMW cruise control.
Then I upgraded my suspension with a Wilbers rear-shock which is not only fully adjustable with regard to damping, but has also an adjustible length.
So with this I raised the backside of the bike in order to get more weight on the front wheel, and a slightly steeper steeringhead angle.
After this I also replaced the standard (not adjustible) suspension for Andriani cartridges. These have progressive springs and the cartridges have adjustible damping (compression and rebound).

For better ergonomics I replaced the stock seat by a Wunderlich seat. This is higher and harder so it gives me better feedback about what my tires are doing.
I also replaced the steer for a slightly wider and higher Wunderlich steer. Cables and clutch line don't needed to be replaced.
Today I did the first kilometers with the new Michelin Power 5 tires, and coming from the Michelin Road 4 tires I have to say it is a big improvement!!
I don't think they will last long, but I'm afraid I'm not able to do many kilometers this year, so fun to ride is more important right now :)

And then the appearance part, I mounted a round LED headlight because I hated the way the standard headlight was mounted. I did like the form of the standard headlight, but to me it was simply mounted to low.
In order to be as visible as possible in the traffic, I also added two extra Wunderlich LED lights.
On the pictures I have the Ilmberger carbon fibre hugger installed, but this evening I already disassebled it again because it makes a lot of noise which irritates me. So I installed the Mudsling again.
The standard GPS holder I have replaced for a Bike P&R one, this one is more compact and I was able to mount it further forwards so it doesn't intere with my tankbag.

For now I THINK it is finished, untill I come up with new idea's ;)

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Fantastic! Love it!

·
Registered
R1200R LC 2017
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the technical details of the headlight some additional information:
The headlight has a E-approval and is from a German company Highsider.
For the mounting I used the original headlight brackets, on these I mounted footrest brackets from Wunderlich.
Fits perfectly and is very solid.
The electrical part was "a bit more difficult" because the CAN-BUS interfered...:unsure:
I did some trial and error, and came up with the electrical connections as showed in the pictures below. With these mounted on an aluminium cooling plate which I mounted behind the headlight, the resistors don't become too hot, and the CAN-BUS accepted my headlight :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Get some bar end mirrors - those micky mouse ears spoil the look!

Reactions: MikeHSG

·
Registered
75 Posts
With that headlight, I wonder if it wouldn’t look better without the windshield. The stock headlight certainly goes better without windshield IMO.

·
Registered
752 Posts
nice!

I'm not as ambitious as you, but I have to admit that I am glad the headlight on mine is not visible when I am on the seat.
I've become a big fan of the ESA, even if the settings routine is a maddening process for someone who can't read Germlish.
My previous R, an oilhead was fitted with Ohlins and a Telelever, and it was a well-sorted ride, but as much as I wanted to hate the ESA, it's actually kind of amazing.

·
Registered
R1200R LC 2017
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With that headlight, I wonder if it wouldn’t look better without the windshield. The stock headlight certainly goes better without windshield IMO.
Hi Serrge,
I have tried it without the small spoiler, but I like it better with the spoiler.
And although it doesn’t look like it the spoiler actually gives a lot of protection against the wind.

·
Registered
R1200R LC 2017
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get some bar end mirrors - those micky mouse ears spoil the look!
Hi Mort,
I agree with you that the original mirrors aren’t “the nicest”, but I haven’t found a good replacement yet.
Personally I’m not a fan of the bar-end mirrors, because it would give the bike a kind of “street fighter” look instead of the classic look.

·
Registered
R1200R LC 2017
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mounted my pure spoiler which I had painted in the original Thunder Grey color. It only needed a small adaptation in order to fit together with my round headlight.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,394 Posts
I like the shape of the original mirrors but aesthetically they stick up a bit high. I’ve fitted aftermarket GS replicas (cheaper than BMW items and are close to identical), which have shorter stems, and an even considering bending the angle down a bit for a lower profile. My Carbon handguards make it awkward to fit bar ends.

·
Registered
R1200R LC 2017
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some better pictures outside.
Other mirrors have been ordered 👍

·
Registered
30 Posts
I look forward to your pics with new mirrors. I’m on the lookout for replacements too.

·
Registered
R1200R LC 2017
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I look forward to your pics with new mirrors. I’m on the lookout for replacements too.
Well I ordered the BMW HP mirrors that cost a ridiculous amount of money, but to me fits the bike (I don’t like barend mirrors).
But......today received a message from the dealer that they will not be delivered...
BMW could (didn’t want to) tell why.

So I ordered one new original mirror because one of my mirrors has a loose glass 🥺

·
Registered
R1200R LC 2017
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mounted a GS part.
Hope this does a better job than the original R mudguard.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Were the mounting holes already on the final drive enclosure?

Thanks

·
Registered
R1200R LC 2017
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes the mounting holes are exactly the same as on the GS.

·
Registered
R1200R LC 2017
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Only the rear tire of the R is a bit wider, but I expect it will give enough protection. (I hope it takes a long time to find out though).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts