BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 R1200R LC Roadster
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I asked wilbersusa if they could make a +30 length rear shock for me and they told me no, that it would not work with the "automatic ride level control", although -30 was fine.
Has anyone else heard of this? I've not found any reference to it anywhere else and a google search doesn't bring up anything
Thx
Christi

·
Registered
166 Posts
They might be referring to the auto ride height setting on the R1250R/RS.with ESA. This automatically adjusts the motorcycle ride height to a constant and preset height irrespective of load.
Why would you want a longer rear shock anyway? Are you particularly tall? Or heavy?

·
Registered
R1200R LC 2017
51 Posts
30mm is a lot! I had a Wilbers shock which was adjustable for 15mm, and if I would make the shock 10mm longer the center stand was already to short.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP w/sport & 2019 R nineT SCR
30 Posts
Agreed 10mm is the norm for +height setups. Else go for taller saddle, as unfortunately the ESA system would also require a recode to since the increase is well outside of spec range so would auto lower.

·
Registered
R1200R LC 2017
51 Posts
I didn’t have ESA on my R, but I can imagine that it would be possible to just make the connection rod from the sensor a bit longer?
I assume also the front of the bike will be set a bit higher, because otherwise the bike would become very nervous. So after the bike has been set at the required height it just a matter of setting it level as measure the required length of the sensor rod?

·
Registered
2015 R1200R LC Roadster
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I misspoke, the +30 was ride height, not shock length
And I asked out of curiosity, I have an oversize tire on the front and thought about raising the rear a little to match.
But, my question here was about "auto ride level control" which I hadn't heard of before and a quick google search failed to bring up tho maybe something like that is on the newer 1250's?

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP w/sport & 2019 R nineT SCR
30 Posts
If only 10mm extension of the shock eye-2-eye, then no need to change the front end as steering and angle will only be effected by ~.5 degrees, and your trail will change slightly to a more responsive front end.
However is you are in fact running a taller tyre..compare OD between both, then you may have slacken and raised your front end, so increasing the rear ride height with will balance you out, depending up the actual math #s.

·
Registered
326 Posts
This automatically adjusts the motorcycle ride height to a constant and preset height irrespective of load.
Correct... BUT only in 'auto' mode. Many owners don't use it, opting for 'min', or 'max' instead. I left it in 'auto', since the manual recommends that, but there's no info on which stance it keeps compared to the other 2 modes. Bike feels great in the twisties in auto (and dynamic), so left it alone there.

Finally, there's a plastic rod/rheostat at the rear, just like on cars, which I assume should have enough adjustment to what the ECU can work with. I'd definitely consult the service manual, and see what it says about adjusting it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2015 R1200R LC Roadster
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think maybe what they're calling auto level control is that rod controlled sensor down on the left side of the swingarm.
There doesn't appear to be any adjustment options but it's a common linkage,

Font Publication Book Paper Paper product

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,787 Posts
The 1200 LC doesn’t have any auto-levelling adjustment. The pictured rod attaches to the sensor to measure rate of movement of the rear wheel and hence adjust damping accordingly, as noted in the rider manual.
If ride height is adjusted via a longer shock, I’d be adjusting the rod length to make sure the sensor arm is at its normal resting angle to ensure the sensor’s travel limit isn’t exceeded and damage ensue.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The sensor on my bike (1250) is different than the one pictured above. And it has a plastic arm that I'm almost sure can be adjusted, but haven't scrutinized it yet (not at home now), and it's by the rear shock. And by 'ride height' adjustment it means to keep the bike at the stock attitude via preload, not that you can actually raise it, or lower it, like if it had air springs. But if you use the 'min' or 'max' settings, you might raise or lower the bike over the height that 'auto' would keep it. I'm using 'auto', and bike works great. I was fearing it might touch down too soon, forcing me to use the 'max' setting, but that's not the case. It has plenty of cornering clearance, especially for such a comfortable riding position fully stock, so I'm really happy about that. It's possible that dynamic + auto (and high degree lean angles) might adjust the preload to the max, but not sure about that. No info from BMW, but will keep it in 'auto', at least for now.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The 1200 LC doesn’t have any auto-levelling adjustment. The pictured rod attaches to the sensor to measure rate of movement of the rear wheel and hence adjust damping accordingly, as noted in the rider manual.
If ride height is adjusted via a longer shock, I’d be adjusting the rod length to make sure the sensor arm is at its normal resting angle to ensure the sensor’s travel limit isn’t exceeded and damage ensue.
Yes, Panzerman hits the nail on the head I reckon. On the R1250R/RS both ride height and damping are controlled by the sensor I would think. Ride height (preload) being adjusted according to a predetermined nominal voltage value from the sensor, and a damping valve adjusted according to the rate of change around that nominal value. That's my theory anyway, at least for the rear shock. I assume the front end would have auto damping control only, and no auto ride height.

·
Registered
2015 R1200R LC Roadster
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think my '15 r1200r, not 1250, has 3 preload settings but they aren't adjustable while moving. I think the sensor, I think it's a potentiometer, like the throttle, just ramps up the damping based on swingarm movement so there is no "bottoming out" I think the front must have a similar feature because I've never bottomed either front or rear when really it should have
Also, my original question is moot because apparently no one makes a longer shock anyway

1 - 13 of 13 Posts