BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R1200r lc Sport
39 Posts
I fitted Puig bar end mirrors to my 2016 r2200r lc which has m10 internal bar thread. The Puig product needed to be drilled out from M8 to M10, but was no problem.
Is the r1250 the same internal bar thread? I can give details if so.
Image attached.
ATB
Dean, UK

Attachments

·
Registered
Beatrice - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
100 Posts
I fitted Puig bar end mirrors to my 2016 r2200r lc which has m10 internal bar thread. The Puig product needed to be drilled out from M8 to M10, but was no problem.
Is the r1250 the same internal bar thread? I can give details if so.
Image attached.
ATB
Dean, UK
Very nice looking bike! Can you please share which BMW emblem you attached to the frame plugs? And how it was done to ensure it stays in place? Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 R1200r lc Sport
39 Posts
Very nice looking bike! Can you please share which BMW emblem you attached to the frame plugs? And how it was done to ensure it stays in place? Thanks!

The BMW emblem is just a self adhesive sticker which has stayed attached to the frame plug through all weather. They are cheap enough to replace when needed.
ATB

·
Registered
Beatrice - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
100 Posts

The BMW emblem is just a self adhesive sticker which has stayed attached to the frame plug through all weather. They are cheap enough to replace when needed.
ATB
Thank you!

·
Registered
2016 R1200r lc Sport
39 Posts
Which model? Puig?
You can keep the OEM end weights in place?
Can you post a close up pic from the inside of the installation?
Thanks
I will send some close up images.
I could have kept the OEM bar end weights but decided on a pair of R&G as these are not tapered and have a chrome finish.
As I was introducing more width with the Puig mirrors and wanted to retain the Givi handguards (I will send Puig product name/reference with the images), I got a longer pair of M10 bolts to give extra hold.
Watch this space!

·
Registered
2016 R1200r lc Sport
39 Posts
I could have kept the OEM bar end weights but decided on a pair of R&G as these are not tapered and have a chrome finish.
As I was introducing more width with the Puig mirrors and wanted to retain the Givi handguards (I will send Puig product name/reference with the images), I got a longer pair of M10 bolts to give extra hold.
Watch this space!
Watch this space!
Ok...close up images attached
The Puig ref is 5220N. It has an M6 bore and not M8 as stated in my earlier post.
Image shows OEM M10 bolt and aftermarket longer M10 bolt. The Puig fitting for internal hollow bars is not used. The OEM bar weights will fit ok but will not give the straight look of the RG weights. Image also of Puig adapter bored out to M10.
I couldn't find any OEM bar end mirrors with a standard M10 thread, hence the slight modification to the Puig product.
BTW, there is zero vibration with the mirrors and they stay in situ once tightened up. Sufficient gap for throttle operation.

Hope this helps?

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks Oldguy. Nice set up. Will you review for us the difference in wind noise or turbulence between the stock mirror and the bar end mirror? I have read some claims to a somewhat dramatic reduction in turbulence/noise when replacing OEM to bar end.

·
Registered
2016 R1200r lc Sport
39 Posts
Thanks Oldguy. Nice set up. Will you review for us the difference in wind noise or turbulence between the stock mirror and the bar end mirror? I have read some claims to a somewhat dramatic reduction in turbulence/noise when replacing OEM to bar end.
Sure....I too had heard that removing the antennae mirrors and replacing with bar ends contributed to a reduction in helmet noise. I had fitted the headlamp fairing a few months before the bar end mirrors and this in itself dramatically reduced helmet noise. The bar ends then reduced noise even more. I wear ear plugs and a Shoei NXR helmet.
With regards to turbulence......ok it is a naked bike with little protection, but motorway speeds don't present a huge problem. Most of my riding is non motorway.
Sometimes ride with MRP screen with reflector....less turbulence but horrendous noise.
ATB

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks for the post & parts. I notice a significant reduction in noise & turbulence when I remove the OEM mirrors.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks ATB, I will follow this thread.
You've got a nice setup, I am considering bar end mirrors too on my 2017 R12R but a bit concerned about the level of customisation needed on these Puig.
Apparently there are some Rizomas with adaptor for our handlebars, anybody's gone this way?
They seem to come with plugs for the oem mirror mounts too.

·
Registered
2016 R1200r lc Sport
39 Posts
You've got a nice setup, I am considering bar end mirrors too on my 2017 R12R but a bit concerned about the level of customisation needed on these Puig.
Apparently there are some Rizomas with adaptor for our handlebars, anybody's gone this way?
I looked at Rizoma option but the price difference compared to Puig was the reason for choosing Puig.
The customisation of the Puig product is simply to drill out an existing M6 hole to M10.
The OEM bar end weights can be used.
I used a black M10 round headed short bolt to blank the right hand hole of the OEM handlebar mirror and installed a RAM "ball" in the left hand which now accepts a RAM mounting for my GoPro.

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
46 Posts
I have Rizoma bar end mirrors purchased from Moore Speed Racing (Moore Speed Racing - Motorcycle Parts Superstore - Moore Speed Racing). They ship wherever and their part numbers are below (not sure if they match Rizoma part numbers as I didn't check): -

Rizoma Spy R 57 Bar End Mirror - 57mm. Part number RIZBS185B​
Rizoma Bar End Mirror / Pro Guard Adapter LP324. Part number RIZLP324B​
The quality is excellent, no vibes (I did use thread locker as a precaution) and the mount adapters slot in place of the OEM without any issue.

Bicycle part Automotive tire Gas Cylinder Bicycle accessory Fuel tank Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

You can orientate the mirrors up, down or horizontally as I have in the picture. Hope that helps.

Regards, Pete.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts