BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to fit some grip puppies and it looks a lot easier to remove the bar ends to fit them than try to stretch them over.

Are the bar ends a simple unbolt/bolt job, or are there hidden issues like thread lock to contend with? And, finally, do they have a torque value for tightening, or is FT OK?

Cheers!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just slid them over the bar ends. It was harder to get them the last inch onto the grip than to get them over the bar ends.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of Grip Puppies on my 1250R. I had them on my previous bike, a FJR, and loved them as my hands are somewhat large, but it doesn't seem like the grips on the R are as slight in circumference as the FJR, so thus far I've left them alone.

·
Super Moderator
5,434 Posts
I'm using cricket bat grips on my 1200-LC simply to prevent further wear on the original grips and to improve grippiness (no issue with vibration, for which Grip Puppies are designed, I understand).

‘Owzat!’ you ask? The slightly larger diameter took only a couple days to get used to, and I don’t notice it now - even switching from my SRX6. The extra grip means I need only a light touch on the ‘bars, which makes for better control. They are starting to show some weathering in the grooves, with surface cracking, but again, I don’t notice it unless I deliberately look at it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why not, Too thick? Took me couple of days to get used. Now it’s great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry for the late response. Yep, too thick. I gave them about 120 miles, but didn't like 'em. They only cost me £14 in a sale at Nippy Norman's so no great loss, especially as I have another use for the neoprene, or whatever it is

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Try getting a length of cricket batt rubber from fleabay (about £2), this is about 1/2 the difference between standard and grip puppies. Have these on a couple of my bikes, only downside is they don't last too long so need to be replaced every year or so.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try getting a length of cricket batt rubber from fleabay (about £2), this is about 1/2 the difference between standard and grip puppies. Have these on a couple of my bikes, only downside is they don't last too long so need to be replaced every year or so.
Cheers. Interesting thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts