BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow R12r owners... After installing bar risers on my new to me 2011 R12r, I feel the front steel braided brake line from the handle bar is stretched just a bit too much.

I would like to to get a new 2+ inch longer hose...

Does anyone have any experience getting just this one hose in an extended length... If so would you be willing to share your source with me? Thanks much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello Fellow R12r owners... After installing bar risers on my new to me 2011 R12r, I feel the front steel braided brake line from the handle bar is stretched just a bit too much.

I would like to to get a new 2+ inch longer hose...

Does anyone have any experience getting just this one hose in an extended length... If so would you be willing to share your source with me? Thanks much.
I've toyed around with the same thing - I've had the 35mm up/35mm back MV Barbacks on my '12 R12R and do like the riding position, but found that they substantially increased the vibration through the bars so I removed them.

When I had them installed, I didn't extend the brake line, but did drop the right fork tube (very easy) and removed the headlight/instrument cluster plastic housing (attached by 4 screws) to re-route the brake line to the outside of the fork tube without disconnecting it and bleeding the entire system. It was about a half hour job for me, and allowed me to try out the bar position on a few rides before deciding whether I would pursue a longer brake line, which would be preferrable to re-routing the brake line.

I wasn't crazy about the path of the brake line after moving it outside of the fork tube - especially with the handlebars turned fully to the right, the hose made pretty sharp bends and seemed to be pinched slightly between the frame and handlebars. I didn't think it unsafe, at least for a few rides to try them out, but it could be a temporary solution while you look for the longer brake line.

If I ever decide to put the risers back on I would definitely extend the brake line on my bike, and was thinking I would ask around various dealership parts departments to see if they can tell me the length of the equivalent part on a camhead GS. I would think with higher/wider handlebars that brake line would be a few inches longer, identical build quality and designed for the same brake system. The one linked above also seems like a good option if you've only raised the bars 25-30mm - it wouldn't work for me since the total translation of the handlebars is 50mm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you... Interesting, I have not seen these type of "extenders" before. Might be worth a try, but I'm pretty sure that they are not long enough for what I need.

How about an adapter?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've toyed around with the same thing - I've had the 35mm up/35mm back MV Barbacks on my '12 R12R and do like the riding position, but found that they substantially increased the vibration through the bars so I removed them.

When I had them installed, I didn't extend the brake line, but did drop the right fork tube (very easy) and removed the headlight/instrument cluster plastic housing (attached by 4 screws) to re-route the brake line to the outside of the fork tube without disconnecting it and bleeding the entire system. It was about a half hour job for me, and allowed me to try out the bar position on a few rides before deciding whether I would pursue a longer brake line, which would be preferrable to re-routing the brake line.

I wasn't crazy about the path of the brake line after moving it outside of the fork tube - especially with the handlebars turned fully to the right, the hose made pretty sharp bends and seemed to be pinched slightly between the frame and handlebars. I didn't think it unsafe, at least for a few rides to try them out, but it could be a temporary solution while you look for the longer brake line.

If I ever decide to put the risers back on I would definitely extend the brake line on my bike, and was thinking I would ask around various dealership parts departments to see if they can tell me the length of the equivalent part on a camhead GS. I would think with higher/wider handlebars that brake line would be a few inches longer, identical build quality and designed for the same brake system. The one linked above also seems like a good option if you've only raised the bars 25-30mm - it wouldn't work for me since the total translation of the handlebars is 50mm.
Thanks Chuck for your exceptional and detailed input and advice... Well done. I too did what you did, drop the right tube and reroute the front brake line, which was totally necessary for me to even get my bars to turn.

Even still, I too have the same stressed front brake hose you mentioned. I guess I need to get some stiff wire and actually mock up how long a hose I actually need. I'm pretty sure that I need an extra 2 inches, but I will have to check it out for assurance of correct length. Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Chuck for your exceptional and detailed input and advice... Well done. I too did what you did, drop the right tube and reroute the front brake line, which was totally necessary for me to even get my bars to turn.

Even still, I too have the same stressed front brake hose you mentioned. I guess I need to get some stiff wire and actually mock up how long a hose I actually need. I'm pretty sure that I need an extra 2 inches, but I will have to check it out for assurance of correct length. Thanks again for your input.
No problem - let me know if you end up installing a longer brake line and how it turns out. I'd be interested to know it's an option for me as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys and gals... Just wanted to show you the bar risers I installed. I really like them since they are infinitely adjustable within their intended design. I'm 5' 6" and the stock seat to bar ergonomics just put too much weight on my hands, wrists, arms and shoulders... these bar risers not only got the bars up a bit, they got them back towards the seat. I pretty much sit in a neutral position, which is really beneficial with my "medium" height V-stream windscreen (which I find to be exceptional).

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey guys and gals... Just wanted to show you the bar risers I installed. I really like them since they are infinitely adjustable within their intended design. I'm 5' 6" and the stock seat to bar ergonomics just put too much weight on my hands, wrists, arms and shoulders... these bar risers not only got the bars up a bit, they got them back towards the seat. I pretty much sit in a neutral position, which is really beneficial with my "medium" height V-stream windscreen (which I find to be exceptional).
I've not seen those before, do you have a link to the product? They look really good and the adjustability would be nice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've not seen those before, do you have a link to the product? They look really good and the adjustability would be nice.
R1200N8, I don't know how to export/import a link out of Amazon and get it into a specific "Reply" thread in this discussion. Please give this a try... On Amazon... Copy the description title and search Amazon.

Xitomer Pivot 1-1/8" (28mm) CNC Handlebar Riser

·
Registered
102 Posts
For Amazon, copy the url up to the end of the item number like so:
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08534T4M4/
The number after the /dp/ is the item number.

Reactions: Sre7 and R1200N8

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For Amazon, copy the url up to the end of the item number like so:
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08534T4M4/
The number after the /dp/ is the item number.

Thanks R0cket... Yea, your solution is good if you come in from the web through a browser, what I can't seem to do is find the web address while I am in the Amazon app, which is for the most part easier to use, except for this one issue. Thanks again for the detailed reminder. Well done!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Those look good! Have you noticed any change in handlebar or mirror vibes after installing those?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks R0cket... Yea, your solution is good if you come in from the web through a browser, what I can't seem to do is find the web address while I am in the Amazon app, which is for the most part easier to use, except for this one issue. Thanks again for the detailed reminder. Well done!
Ahhh... In the app, there is a "share" icon at the top right corner of the product image - kind of like a less-than symbol with a little circle at each corner. (" < ")

Reactions: Sre7

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ahhh... In the app, there is a "share" icon at the top right corner of the product image - kind of like a less-than symbol with a little circle at each corner. (" < ")
r0ckrat...Yep, I went to the "share" icon and found the "copy link" icon and now I am good to go...thanks for extra nudge

·
Registered
102 Posts
Happy to be of service. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those look good! Have you noticed any change in handlebar or mirror vibes after installing those?
Chuck Becker...Thanks for your question. I am pretty new to the R1200r. I came from the R1100r and I find the R12r much smoother in general. So there is a big difference to me, from the two bikes. From pre-riser on the R12r to the current, installed riser state, I have not noticed any additional vibes. I have some aftermarket mirrors (the previous owner removed the original mirrors) that are not as stable as I would believe the originals would be, but pretty sure they are not any more unstable. The most noticeable part is how much better my seating position is. I don't feel as "sporty" and as much like a "racer" as the original ergonomics, but I do feel like I could sit and ride this bike forever in the current ergonomics...that is if my butt could stand it. I'd personally give the risers I got a two thumbs up!

·
Registered
16 Posts
This 25mm riser works perfect without requiring any modifications to brake hoses. The lower throttle cable no longer fits in its plastic perch attached to the brake fluid reservoir, but no matter.

2014 R1200R w/ABS and ASC

Zero vibration. It’s very smooth.

Taller than 25 is a different story.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts