BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would most people avoid a ‘base model’ R12R Cam head and not touch it with a barge pole or is simple ‘better’?

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Depends, I guess, on what you mean by a 'base model'. Are you talking about an LC, or pre-LC model I wonder? In my book, simple is always better. After owning many air-heads and oil-heads, all totally fault-free, then a couple of LCs, I deliberately moved away from the brand as I thought the increasing number of electronological 'features' - some of dubious value IMHO - was becoming quite excessive, leading to enhanced complexity, possibility of failure of elements that could not be fixed by the average owner, and of course sky-rocketing costs of both initial purchase price and ongoing service..

My current cam-head R9T combines the desirable attributes of minimalist styling, overall simplicity, and very few intrusive electronic 'aids', with the joys of that extremely responsive boxer engine. Win: win for me.

But I dare say that YMMV applies...

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
Cam head is a great engine, making a great bike, whether it includes the extras or not.

It’s just a matter of what your priorities are and what the asking price is, I reckon.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I’m referring to as an air cooled cam head. It suits me to have ‘basic’ but if everyone looks down on those bikes because they are not sought after which I couldn’t care less about then I just need to know to price to suit me.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
I have a 2009 R. It has ABS and a very basic traction control, and that's it. Like LOS says, modern bikes have too many extras which add to it's complexity and expense without adding much to the riding experience.. If you like riding keep it simple!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The question is more so of desirability in money terms. If I buy a very base bike ie no abs, no esa, no traction or computer and the only gizmos are four flashing amber thingys at each corner then when coming to sell it early for any unforeseen circumstances for example will it be very poor to sell?

·
Registered
86 Posts
What I’m referring to as an air cooled cam head. It suits me to have ‘basic’ but if everyone looks down on those bikes because they are not sought after which I couldn’t care less about then I just need to know to price to suit me.
There are no "sought after" BMW roadsters - they're probably the least desirable bikes in the BMW line-up. If you're looking to buy one, it's definitely a buyer's mark
The question is more so of desirability in money terms. If I buy a very base bike ie no abs, no esa, no traction or computer and the only gizmos are four flashing amber thingys at each corner then when coming to sell it early for any unforeseen circumstances for example will it be very poor to sell?
Were base model camheads even available without ABS, ASC, or a computer? I'm assuming the only "optional" item you'll actually find some bikes lacking is ESA - which I wouldn't expect would change your resale expectations. For every buyer that wants it, there's likely another one who doesn't. The bigger issue is that you have a concern about resale at all - and if you're sensitive to that, I suggest you find a different bike. BMW Roadsters have never been particularly hot in the secondary market.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@R1200N8 cheers for that and what everyone else has said too. I make sure I’ll see if I can get it at ‘my price’ then I’ll stay safe. If not then it gets left with the seller.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
A simple fact of life often discussed in this most excellent Forum is that the R1200 R range of pre-LC models seems much under-appreciated, often (in some markets) quite hard to find, and in most markets quite hard to sell as a used bike. This often puts the buyer into a good position.

Hardly-used 'mint' Rs are often popping-up here in Oz on the various 'bikes-for-sale' websites, f'rinstance an 08 R1200 R that has been laid-up for a number of years with a mere 6700km on its clock at AUD$13,000, which could undoubtedly be had for AUD$10 or $11K.

Its electronological doo-dahs are confined to ABS (a must-have IMHO), Traction Control, and heated grips, and it comes complete with three-piece BMW luggage. It has been advertised for well over twelve months (admittedly not on the 'best' website) but the owner seems less than motivated to sell it, not has had any real interest he says.

2008 BMW 1200CC R1200R
2008 BMW 1200CC R1200R

• 6,700 Kms
  • Road
  • 1.2l
$13,000*

Reactions: Tigcraft

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just bought (a month ago) a super mint, 22K mile, one-owner, 2014 Dark White air/oil cooled, the last camhead R with the telelever, side cases, a bunch of valuable ads-ons, and full (correct) service history for $7,800 USD from a private party in the western US region. I love this machine so much but don’t see this as something I’ll sell. Seems to be the best of everything, yet minimal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Would most people avoid a ‘base model’ R12R Cam head and not touch it with a barge pole or is simple ‘better’?
I wouldn’t say that at all. The base model is a great bike. Your going to loose the electronic suspension adjustment which is handy to have but not a deal breaker, traction control which is the first thing I shut off when I start the bike, on board computer which has miles to empty, a thermometer, avg mpg & mph & your also going to loose TPMS. My last BMW had none of those things and I didn’t once wish for them. You also won’t have a luggage rack or tabs for side cases so do keep that in mind too.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Good on yer, pj! It looks mintier than mint!

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
You also won’t have a luggage rack or tabs for side cases so do keep that in mind too.
Looks like the bike does, in fact, have the sidecase tabs.

EDIT: I was looking at the wrong picture when I made that speculative remark. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Looks like the bike does, in fact, have the sidecase tabs.

It is only after a Bex (headache powders, harmful, and now off the market), a cuppa tea, and a good lie-down that I hesitate to question Pz's usual near-100% record of veracity - but how does one know if that bike has or has not the luggage tabs? So far as my few remaining brain-cells recall, all my (too many) Rs had the tabs, or equivalent....

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
but how does one know if that bike has or has not the luggage tabs?
Turns out I was merely speculating, Lawrence - I was looking at the wrong picture.

You’ll have to mark me down for that.

A mate of mine bought a 2008 Roadster and had to buy luggage tabs to be able to fit BMW side bags, so I don’t believe they’re universally fitted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts