BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Sears equivalent of a battery tender which I kept hooked up via the battery charger's direct connect socket and pigtail on my Honda. But of course... this is BMW. And as we know, BMW is "special" when it comes to electronics. And BMW's Owners Manual says use of anything other than the BMW brand battery charger that connects to the onboard power socket will cause your mother to die and your children's teeth to rot and your motorcyle to explode. It is a BMnono, apparently to connect a charger directly to the battery when the battery is not disconnected from the bike. Balderdash...

Anyone tried to connect a battery tender directly to a connected battery on the R1200R? Did it explode? How's your mother doing?

I have noticed that when the bike sits for a week it can be a little sluggish to start. Never failed me, but I don't ride it to work every day like I used to with the Honda. Never really needed the trickle charger on the Honda except when I got a new battery.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Anyone tried to connect a battery tender directly to a connected battery on the R1200R? Did it explode? How's your mother doing?
Yes. No. She remains completely unaffected by my battery choices.

I have noticed that when the bike sits for a week it can be a little sluggish to start. Never failed me, but I don't ride it to work every day like I used to with the Honda. Never really needed the trickle charger on the Honda except when I got a new battery.
If the prior ride was long enough to fully-recharge the battery, then I'd suspect that the battery's going bad - if good, it should crank the motor with authority after only a week. How old is the battery? Even new and newish batteries go bad. Have you had it load-tested?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Can't help with any other charger experience, but the bmw charger kept my 2006 k1200s battery like new. Sold that bike this spring and the battery is still in it, according to the new owner. 7 yrs. Needless to say my r1200r is on the charge as I write this.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Battery Chargers

When 2012 DOHC Roadster was brand new, I put a Battery Tender charger lead directly onto the battery posts, and trickle charged the battery occasionally for 2 months, as it was the coldest part of winter. Delran Battery Tender Plus. The battery was left in the bike while charging. I did wait for a few minutes after shutting off the bike to hook it up and plug it in, but don't know if it would have made a difference. No fault codes, no explosions, nothing out of the ordinary in my case. I ride the bike 3, sometimes 4 days a week now, so I haven't used the Battery Tender on the Beemer in over a year. Starts right up and runs great. My mother here went to rest in Heaven this past January, but that was pneumonia. Kids both have great teeth. Think BMW just wants you to buy their canbus approved charger for the accessory port. YMMV

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. No. She remains completely unaffected by my battery choices.

If the prior ride was long enough to fully-recharge the battery, then I'd suspect that the battery's going bad - if good, it should crank the motor with authority after only a week. How old is the battery? Even new and newish batteries go bad. Have you had it load-tested?
I think the problem was with some faulty DIY wiring on my GPS hookup. No sluggishness now. Noticed that after my annual service where the battery was checked and topped up it seemed much more eager to start. Bike's just over a year old.

thanks!
Bob

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When 2012 DOHC Roadster was brand new, I put a Battery Tender charger lead directly onto the battery posts, and trickle charged the battery occasionally for 2 months, as it was the coldest part of winter. Delran Battery Tender Plus. The battery was left in the bike while charging. I did wait for a few minutes after shutting off the bike to hook it up and plug it in, but don't know if it would have made a difference. No fault codes, no explosions, nothing out of the ordinary in my case. I ride the bike 3, sometimes 4 days a week now, so I haven't used the Battery Tender on the Beemer in over a year. Starts right up and runs great. My mother here went to rest in Heaven this past January, but that was pneumonia. Kids both have great teeth. Think BMW just wants you to buy their canbus approved charger for the accessory port. YMMV
Thanks, Clem. Good to know. I should have made sure everone knew this was a CANBUS question... I'm sure older bikes without that enhancement have no problems. A simpler time...:cowboy: I think I'll hook it up and give it a shot...
bob

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Battery tender as well directly connected to the battery and SAE connector. No problems
Interesting that the manual says it's ok to jump start the dam thing, but a trickle charger is going to wreck the electronics? :icon_scratch:

thanks for the reply!

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I've got a non-BMW trickle charger/tender/desulphator for winter months for my 2012 Classic. Plugs into the SAE port; it hasn't exploded yet/ They tell me that the red glow coming from my garage is just buried uranium tailings from some WW2 defense boondoggle or something. . .

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

Well, she would not start!

Called the dealer and I'm running it in this Saturday. They suspect the battery has gone bad. I run it at least weekly and at a minimum of 100 miles each outing which should be plenty to keep it charged.

Anyway, put the trickle charger on it and it seemed to be charging fine and checked on it a little later and the "fault" light was on. I suspect the "fault" is with the 10 year old charger and not the battery, but it got enough juice to start anyway. Started and stopped all day with no problems after that. Dang it was hot! ambient temp indicator reading 97.9 at one point in the ride. mostly 92-95 all day! August is a writeoff in Florida!:001_9898:

Dealer says they have a bajillion dollar very "special" Bee Emmm Duba you battery tester that will diagnose potential mother-in-law head explosions and they'll fix me right up.

Will report.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The OEM battery isn't the greatest, so it could very well be the culprit.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
That's some good info in here, I have one of those cheap Deltran charges that I got for my Yamaha when I moved back to NY in 2008, but found out the parking on my building is heated so I never used it, during winter, I just go downstairs every week and start the bike for couple of minutes to charge the battery, so far, every time starts right up.
This winter, I'll be moving and the bike will stay outside, although I'm building a permanent awning to keep the bike under, the temperature will be just as outside.
I have the cable of my heated gear straight to the battery and have had no problems for 2 winters, I think I'll use that already installed cable with my unused cheap Deltran with this

Now, i don't have kids, but the dentist for my dogs is equally expensive, so hope nothing happen to them.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hoshiko, starting it for a few minutes prob is not going to charge it; typically you need a nice long ride. It will check its state though.
Been using a battery tender junior, $20 walmart, for years. I changed the wiring of the acc outlet so that it is always hot via an accessory fusebox. I plug in there for a charge, like you could do on the 1150s. The Battery Tender Junior was the model that came without the KoolAde. Works just fine.
My mother is 93, still cooks a mean red sauce, has her sense of humor though is a little hard of hearing. I do not attribute it to somehow insulting the bmw gods. I think they're ignorant of my actions.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I bought an Optimate 4 and had the bike on it all last winter. I decided to get it since I could plug it into the power plug. Figured I might as well use it for something. Works great for me.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I've got the CTEK 3300 which charges, tends, desulfates, brushes the battery's teeth and combs its hair. Works great.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I left an Optimate plugged in all last winter, just put the plug into the bike's external plug. That was as recommended by my dealer. No problems, been fine all season.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought an Optimate 4 and had the bike on it all last winter. I decided to get it since I could plug it into the power plug. Figured I might as well use it for something. Works great for me.
I have one of those on my birthday wish list... but feel free to just send cash if you prefer...:happybday:

Apparently starting and running the bike long enough to get one bar on the oil temp guage is sufficient to keep it in good enough shape to start the next day. hopefully will start on Saturday morning so I can make it to Sarasota...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Resurrecting this thread in anticipation of some positive outcomes from those such as Drdave who are using non BMW trickle chargers. I have a Projecta 900 trickle charger that I used on my old Yamaha FZ1. I've wired it directly to the battery on my R1200R and it seems to be working fine. No explosions and my 88 year old mother is still alive. I would like to wire it to the BMW accessory socket as I'm told I can buy the correct male plug from Repco. Anyone got any experience with this brand of charger or others using the outlet on the bike ?

Cheers,
David aka BD.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
True story...

My mother is 93, still cooks a mean red sauce, has her sense of humor though is a little hard of hearing.
I sincerely hope this is not untimely, Dr S: it is from quite an old post of yours that I have just resurrected.

My mother has just turned 100. She, too, maintains a very fine if rather droll sense of humour, probably necessary when you live in an old folks' home as she does.

Some time ago I mentioned to her the shocking case of a Bloke who broke into such a home (true story reported in the press of the day) and raped a 90-odd year old.

My mum immediately asked if that particular home had any vacancies! :001_unsure:

L of S

1 - 20 of 33 Posts