BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks Dougl and Panzermann.

I’ll just leave it to do it’s stuff. Originally I was gonna take the battery out and use my cheapo wee Draper charger – but then, after initially looking under the seat, I eventually found the battery. So then I ordered the optimate.

Yeah, I have to say there’s far too much technology on this bike. My old FZS1000, you turn the ignition on, press start and go. That’s it.

Anyway, the UK is in lock down now – so no non-essential travel allowed. Great time to get a new bike.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I haven’t tried to comprehend it. I just plug it in and hope that it’s working. I know there are “programs” but with the BMW plug, I don’t think there are any wrong choices I can make.

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I worked out if you short out the charging leads, and switch it on it will change from one mode the other. In standard charger mode it's just the power LED that is left lit. So I switched it off, and counted to ten then switched it back on again. I think the save and charge lamps were left blinking. So switched off again, unshorted the leads and switched on again, the red LED flashed but then it ended up with just the green power lamp on. So I switched off again, plugged it into the R1250R, switched on - the red lamp fashed again - then it settled as per photo.

Presumably if charging other batteries you switch ot to normal charger mode.

·
Premium Member
Honda NC750X up for sale.
19 Posts
My head is aching trying too. So for reccap. The battery can be charged by the power inlet/outlet socket positioned near the rear seat. Optimate 4 set to CAN-BUS mode.

Have Optimate 4 i used on my last bike. Just need the correct lead.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
52 Posts
I charge my car through the cig lighter, so there's no issue doing it that way. It's more a convenience thing..

I don't believe the pigtail is standard. I think your dealer added it and just left it. My 2020 did not have one, so I added one myself.

FYI - I may be mistaken but I think the Optimate and the Battery Tender I use have different connectors. In the pic above it looks like the bike's plug isn't the same as the one in hand...

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
My Optimate 4 CANbus charger came with both connectors. You can set the charger for standard (direct to battery) or Canbus (Accessory port). The charger can (supposedly) bring back a sulphonated battery in Canbus mode but practically it doesn’t matter which mode you use.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R
52 Posts
I forgot about CANBUS. I suppose you can't use the accessory port after all, unless you have the correct devices.

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Have Optimate 4 i used on my last bike. Just need the correct lead.
Yup Optimate 4 is the correct charger for charging via the power socket. You need to set the optimate to Canbus mode M8B and use the Canbus lead.

This is the lead you need - Optimate Goldline DIN connector plug Yeah silly price, might be available elsewhere cheaper. Mine came with the charger.

Then plug it into the power/charging socket. Any problems jusk ask.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I charge my car through the cig lighter, so there's no issue doing it that way. It's more a convenience thing..

I don't believe the pigtail is standard. I think your dealer added it and just left it. My 2020 did not have one, so I added one myself.

FYI - I may be mistaken but I think the Optimate and the Battery Tender I use have different connectors. In the pic above it looks like the bike's plug isn't the same as the one in hand...
Plugs are same. Maybe looks different from camera angle.

- Michael

21 - 30 of 30 Posts