BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
G

·
They are Li-Fe (A123) technology based. This type of cell is more durable then typical Li-ion.
In fact Li-ion are not dangerous. I'm working for company that supply KTM in Li-ion battery packs for their electric enduro motorcycle. No single battery accident for years.

· Registered
28 Posts
240 CCA Yuasa dead after 6 months

I bought the battery on Amazon in mid-July 2018. Its January 12th 2019 and the thing is completely dead. Extremely annoying because these things are not cheap. I keep it on a CANBus compliant Optimate so I know its the battery. Tested it on my battery tester and it has 6V.

It must have been struggling to recharge some weeks back and I never noticed the lights on the Optimate calling my attention to this fact. Anyways, I imagine the Yuasa had been sitting in stock for some time and/or was faulty to begin with. Tested my old Exide battery (the one the bike came with). It's six years old has spent the last 6 months on the floor of the garage and it has 12.2Volts. Optimate kept it in good order. It can bridge the gap until my EarthX24 (Lithium iron phosphate) arrives.

Lead acid and AGM need bottled on and best before dates. Otherwise its just a gamble and a lot of hope.

Reactions: smartdub

· Registered
245 Posts
I've had both good and bad luck with same Yuasa purchased through RevZilla. Bought, added the magic liquid, charged and got 11 months 16 days before it died. Revzilla replaced under warranty and this time I left it on the charger 2 full days before riding, working out fine. My observation, they must have that FULL charge before putting to work.

· Registered
3 Posts
My Dark White has that same ,,,,struggle..at start up . The battery in mine is a Yuasa YTX14-BS and was in Acey
when I bought him a year ago .

Anyone else have that ...struggle..at start up ?
Yep! my 2011 R1200R [39,000klm] has always had a sluggish start [compared to my "K"] and I've never thought much of it untill I too stopped for fuel. Turned the key pushed the button, nothing. Had indicators and horn ??? Got a lift to nearby battery retailer AUS $110, back to the bike installed the new battery. Still won't turn over. Trailered home and pulled the Starter motor out and dissmantled it only to find that the spring which hold the brushed onto the commutator were now 4 different lengths. Heat caused them to loose their "spring".

After MANY hours on the web and phone calls to BMW & Bosch - starter motor manufacture I contacted BOSCH Germany and they kindly gave me the updated replacement part number for the Brush Assemberly: 1 004 336 506 they are still available in Europe.

IMG_1821.JPG

BMW will sell you a Starter Motor for Aus $196.96. The brush assemberly will cost approx [inc freight] EUR 26

I have put the old battery back in the bike and have the new YUASA on a trickle charge waiting...

NB
if your battery needs constant charging; 1. chech the charge rate of the Alternator. Belt should be changed at 40,000klm 2, have the battery Load Tested, to check its internal condition.

Attachments

· Registered
163 Posts
240 CCA - Big Difference in starting a 2012 R1200R Classic

So, thanks to @'steve b in sd', I changed my stock issued 2012 170 CCA battery out for the Yuasa (240CCA). I did this because for the last six years I have had to hold the start button a little longer than I would like. I keep my 2012 R1200R Classic garaged and on a CANBus compatible Optimate trickle charger so voltage wise, the OEM battery is fine but after too much pondering I realized the issue and bought the 16Ah Yuasa on Amazon over the weekend. It came with a Voltage of 12.4. Put in on the Optimate for about 18 hours and the Voltage was 13.1Volts. Dropped it in and had to use a pliers to reshape the battery holder clamp a bit. No biggy but the Yuasa is a marginally different shape.

Anywho, the bike now starts with a momentary press of the Start button. No holding the Starter button required - it jumps to life instantly. Nice. I read a forum somewhere that said you should use the battery with the highest cold crank amperage. I dunno if that is a general rule but it certainly helped me this time.

See Attachment - Stock on the left, new 240 CCA Yuasa on the right:
I bought the same battery. Agree with the comments, bike turns over noticeably quicker than the oem battery.

· Registered
28 Posts
I bought the same battery. Agree with the comments, bike turns over noticeably quicker than the oem battery.
My EarthX replaced the Yuasa and failed after a year or so. I complained and they were very responsive(US OEM). They replaced the EarthX pronto and everything is going fine. Bike leaps to life with a momentary push of starter button. So far very happy with EarthX for my R1200R

· Registered
2012 BMW R1200R (abs)
2 Posts
240 CCA Yuasa dead after 6 months

I bought the battery on Amazon in mid-July 2018. Its January 12th 2019 and the thing is completely dead. Extremely annoying because these things are not cheap. I keep it on a CANBus compliant Optimate so I know its the battery. Tested it on my battery tester and it has 6V.

It must have been struggling to recharge some weeks back and I never noticed the lights on the Optimate calling my attention to this fact. Anyways, I imagine the Yuasa had been sitting in stock for some time and/or was faulty to begin with. Tested my old Exide battery (the one the bike came with). It's six years old has spent the last 6 months on the floor of the garage and it has 12.2Volts. Optimate kept it in good order. It can bridge the gap until my EarthX24 (Lithium iron phosphate) arrives.

Lead acid and AGM need bottled on and best before dates. Otherwise its just a gamble and a lot of hope.
@resmonde, when you mentioned « EarthX24 », did you mean the « EarthX ETX24C » model !?
If so (now that it's been more then 10 years since your post 😅) would you recommend it?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts