BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've just upgraded from my 1995 R1100R to a 2012 R1200R and have an initial question about battery tenders. I don't ride that often (I hope to rectify that with the new bike), so the 1100 used to sit on a fairly standard battery charger connected through the 12V accessory socket to keep the battery topped up (otherwise the ABS wouldn't initialise . . ) As the 1200 is a canbus system and completely different, what's the best way to do this and the best unit to purchase? I'm assuming there's a specific BMW one. FYI I'm in Sydney Australia and will have many more questions to come . . . :)

Reactions: Sre7

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Hi all, I've just upgraded from my 1995 R1100R to a 2012 R1200R and have an initial question about battery tenders. I don't ride that often (I hope to rectify that with the new bike), so the 1100 used to sit on a fairly standard battery charger connected through the 12V accessory socket to keep the battery topped up (otherwise the ABS wouldn't initialise . . ) As the 1200 is a canbus system and completely different, what's the best way to do this and the best unit to purchase? I'm assuming there's a specific BMW one. FYI I'm in Sydney Australia and will have many more questions to come . . . :)

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
OPITIMATE 4 highly recommended. About $140 from MX-STORE and many other sources

·
Registered
278 Posts
I used a Battery Tender on my 2012 R for five years and I am now using it on my 2016 R. Connects directly to the battery. I have had no issues. On my 2016, I did use a heavy duty pigtail and 15 amp fuse so I can use the pigtail to power my heated shirt.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,679 Posts
As Pete says, you can also use a generic charger/tender connected directly to the battery (via a pigtail for convenience). The manual warns that the battery should first be disconnected from the bike, but none of us on the forum have ever heard of a BMW being damaged by not doing so. The only caution would be to connect the tender to the bike before connecting it to mains power to avoid the possibility of any voltage spikes.

Of course the alternative is to ride sufficiently frequently to keep the battery charged ... 😉

·
Registered
199 Posts
My dealer had hardwired a Battery Tender pigtail onto the battery of my 2020 R1250R.

When I mentioned my concern about what I'd read from some posters here about the CANBUS system (that I also later read in my owner's manual), about how the only safe way to keep a battery that's still in the bike charged is via a CANBUS charger, he dismissed that concern and said that's how they keep all their bikes on the showroom floor charged, and he's never heard about any issue using a Battery Tender.

I still haven't been brave enough to use my hardwired Battery Tender. But with the riding season in my state now, what, halfway over, I'm going to have to decide soon if I want to gamble and believe those who say it's perfectly okay to use a Battery Tender, or play it safe (and buy an overpriced CANBUS charger) and believe those (and the manual) who say it's a must or I'll fry my electronics. I can't believe BMW's electronics are so delicate that a Battery Tender Jr. is going to wreak havoc on them, but I'd sure be upset if it did.

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,621 Posts
My bike is 3 years old and has had a hard wired battery tender lead fitted from new, bike hasn't caught fire yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the suggestions, especially about riding enough not to need one . . I'll work on that :). As my bike is under a carport and slightly exposed to the elements my preference is for something that just plugs into the 12V outlet so it's now attached to an Optimate 4 which is doing the job nicely.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just did essentially the same thing... that is added a beautiful 2011 R12r to my 1999 R11r. Loved my R11r, but what a difference the R12r is. I too have had to keep my R11r battery in tip top shape and decided to use a product called Battery Tender Jr. I had previously tried a cheap alternative that was sold by a low end tool chain here in the USA called Harbor Freight Tools, it ultimately boiled the battery due to its real lack of cutting the voltage when the battery was full.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My dealer had hardwired a Battery Tender pigtail onto the battery of my 2020 R1250R.

When I mentioned my concern about what I'd read from some posters here about the CANBUS system (that I also later read in my owner's manual), about how the only safe way to keep a battery that's still in the bike charged is via a CANBUS charger, he dismissed that concern and said that's how they keep all their bikes on the showroom floor charged, and he's never heard about any issue using a Battery Tender.

I still haven't been brave enough to use my hardwired Battery Tender. But with the riding season in my state now, what, halfway over, I'm going to have to decide soon if I want to gamble and believe those who say it's perfectly okay to use a Battery Tender, or play it safe (and buy an overpriced CANBUS charger) and believe those (and the manual) who say it's a must or I'll fry my electronics. I can't believe BMW's electronics are so delicate that a Battery Tender Jr. is going to wreak havoc on them, but I'd sure be upset if it did.
So it’s finally about time to let it hibernate for the winter, and while I almost opted for the Optimate 4 on Prime Day (though there was no Prime Deal on it), I decided to rely on the experiences and assurances of all those here and elsewhere (and my dealer, who by default practice installed a pigtail before I even bought it) who say a Battery Tender Jr. works just fine, and plugged it in tonight.

No explosion, no fire, no sizzling battery gel...so far, so good. I may break down and have Santa bring me one in a couple months just for peace of mind, but so far it seems all is well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
As I have posted on another thread, I have been using the Battery Tender on multiple BMW bikes over many years. It works flawlessly and has extended my battery life immensely. NO WORRIES

1 - 12 of 12 Posts