BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking it might be interesting to start a thread about the best aftermarket purchase or alteration you've made for/on the R, and the worse. Be it form or function. I know one of each will be tough, but that's the challenge.
Windshields and seats will be high on the list, but hoping to read about other stuff too. I may get some good ideas.
I'll start with my Top Dog todate, really liking the painted sportscreen. I think it's a huge improvement on overall appearance. The expensive clear screen looked cheap to me.
Dog, the grip puppies, thankfully they are cheap, but I just couldn't stand that spongy feeling!

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
I'd agree with the grip puppies. I fitted some but realised they were fixing a problem I didn't have and they absorbed too much heat from the heated grips.

The best - running lights - a bargain from the local auto shop once I'd replaced the cheap bulbs they originally came with.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
I’m pretty sure that the best (and among the cheapest) addition I made to each of my last three (3) bikes – 2 x 1200 R, one x 1200 GS – was to fit a decent-sounding aftermarket horn –a Stebel Magnum in my case. Made in Italy, about $50 here…

The OE horn is well-suited to a golf buggy, and elderly citizen’s mobility scooter, or a doggie’s squeaky toy, but as a useful device on a motorcycle it’s up there with an ash-tray.

The Magnum offers a decent two-tone note that is not all that much louder than the OE horn – certainly it’s no Mack truck blaster – but it is somehow much more authoritative, and I no longer felt slightly embarrassed when using it on the road! And more importantly it seemed to grab the attention of other road-users.

But there are many alternatives out there, all relatively easily fitted without upsetting the gods of CAN-BUS.

L of S

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have to say probably the AirHawk2 seat piece, made the two lads sooo much happier, but do intend to replace it with a Bill Mayer custom up in Ojai when I can get away.

Probably next would be the Michelin PR3's, huge improvement over the OEM Bridgestones.

Next ( I know you only asked for 2) are the grip puppies. I have huge old hands that weren't happy with the skinny stock grips, and they have really helped a lot, almost no more numbness or cramping.

Moving right along, the Rallye 3 suit has greatly added to the pleasure of my ride. I was wearing just regular jackets and jeans before, and the suit is a giant improvement. Got a great deal on the suit as BMWQ changed colors this year so the old black and grey went on closeout.

As a matter of fact just got back from the dealer with a pair of AllAround boots that actually fit my size 14.5 foot, so the outfit is now complete. And Xmas shopping ( I got these boots for my wife to give me...haha!)is completed! Yippee!

If you were to ask what would you like to do, on my list, but way out there if ever, are a set of Wilburs shocks set up by Bill Porter. At the same time I would have the rear shock shield removed and have a hugger installed in its place.
Maybe down the road I'd love to strip off some of the panels and make a cafe style out of it. If I was rich I'd give it to Roland Sands to do his magic on, the guy is an amazing artist and craftsman!

Dreamin' on a rainy cold day in ol' SoCal…..

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Clearwater Darla LEDs and Stebel Nautilus horn. Blinding deafening Conspicuity. No one but no one will not see you or hear you. Shine the Darlas into the sky and you will grow petunias on Neptune. Fire off your Nautilus and people will be reminded of the alien ship landing in Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

And one thing I haven't seen mentioned you might be glad you have is a kickstand foot enlarger.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Best: My Rich's custom seat. All day comfort. I just don't get sore anymore, no matter the miles I put in.

Worst: The sport screen. I'm going to try and modify it. If that doesn't work I'll just go without a screen.

1200bc, regarding your shocks question: More planted (tires stay on the road instead of bouncing over bumps), plusher ride, more accurate feedback, greater confidence cornering.

·
Registered
8 Posts
best add on is a OME top box with pillion backrest - slightly ugh, but hugely practical on tour.
have a love hate relationship with the matching side panniers. Excellent how they lock & clip on and off the bike but what a pain in the a.... to load and close without jamming crap in the closing shell. When will they do a pannier that loads from the top so that you can utilize all the cubic capacity properly. BUT we don't want no ugly GS style square boxes thanks

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Best upgrade: Booster plug
Worst: Pillion grab rails for my 2007 then realised I needed another bitty bit to go with it so its really rendered useless to date.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Best bang per buck: Grip puppies.
Biggest improvement: After market shocks (Wilbers)
Most fun: Remus slip on with the db-killer out, love the pops and gurgles on deceleration :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I made my own peg lowering. By far the best inch I ever used. Bike is now comfortable. I am a mechanic and have big hands that don't work so well. I have had gripi puppies on my R1100RT and they were OK. I have throttle levers (crampbuster) on both sides. These relieve all discomfort in my hands with out the grip puppies.

Worst? I bought a heated Corbin seat for my R1100RT. This was a hard ass saddle that belonged on a horse you rode around the block and no more. I find the stock seat fine for me. ANY seat will make you sore after a couple 500 mile days.

Bike is in my garage for the winter. Pretty soon its time to go out there and fire it up to pretend its warm out. Vrooom Vrooom :clap:

All I can do now is sit around and BS about it here.

David

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sergent seat, Wunderlich cafe fairing, Puig hugger. All invaluable.

Nothing bad so far, touch wood ... New tires next season, maybe Michigan PR3/4, maybe Dunlop Roadsmart IIs, maybe Avon Storm 2 Ultra ... lots of good rubber out there. Maybe new shocks the season after, probably Elka as set up by Accelerated Technologies here in Ontario.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Only mod so far is the fitting of a ilmberger carbon hugger,it works great at keeping the road filth off of the ESA and looks cool too! Only down side was the price!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wunderlich oil-cooler mesh guard and SW Mo-Tech engine-bars. I've got a GS engine sump-guard to go on when the bike comes out of hibernation. I too gave up on the Grip-Puppies due to the not-so-hot grips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2019 R1200R - AKA R1200R LC
Wunderlech touring screen - £30 on Ebay 2nd-hand. Absolutely superb. Stronger, 5mm clear acrylic. Fits directly in place of the BMW fitted tiny screen using original bracket with 4 x holes, which used to only protected the instrument. Makes world of a difference below 80 MPH above that I'm not intending to visit so turbulence not an issue for me.
Givi PH5108 aluminium cylinder head protectors - to make my bike pretty after scraping my nearside cylinder-head when I got myself muddy!
Pair of Hepco & Becker 501677 00 01 black engine bars with optional black bracket 700008851. Selected because stronger tube-in-tube design and I think less intrusive. Fits like a glove. Excellent quality. Able to keep the lower BMW white plastic trims keeping bike pretty.
On order (because when I bought the Givi cylinder-head protectors I unexpectedly won the supplier's monthly prize draw - €500 surprise!:
Pair Givi HP 5129 hand guards
Giv BF11 tanklock fitting (plus a BF01 tank fitting so that I can also use bag on my Suzuki SFV650 Gladius).
Givi ST6012 4 litre tank bag (with upper vinyl pouch for mobile phone).
Givi E450N 45 litre topbox (to replace an older one I already have).
Sena 20S bluetooth. Better than using conventional Sony bluetooth earphones, which don't fit perfectly with lid-on! Also for occasional bike-bike communications and maybe even some motorway music?

Looking for (and always open to recommendations):
Decent front fenda-extenda?
Robust rear hugger/fender to protect rear suspension and electronics (better than the Pyramid Plastics/Puig 7682, having read about poor quality issues and narrowing towards rear-end on this forum)?
Direct replacement for the halogen main beam and dipped beam bulbs - LED type, which are more powerful, longer lasting, suitable for our canbus?
Equivalent of a 'car dashcam', maybe with both front & rear camera?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts