BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
BMW R1200R
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm buying a r1200r 2013 next week, moving from Harley where i did most of the service work alone. What service manual would you guys recomend to do my own service ? And is there a online microfiche website where i can see the OEM parts number like Partzilla or a manual?
Thanks will love to do the basics by myself
Ivan

·
Registered
501 Posts
Welcome to the site.
Here's two online parts fiches. The parts prices are in US dollars.

Unfortunately BMW stopped selling the Repair Manual DVDs last year :(

A Haynes printed manual is a option.

·
Registered
BMW R1200R
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the site.

Welcome to the site.

Thank you Lee, so i understand i should buy i printed manual from Haynes. BMW requires special tools for service?

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,407 Posts
Jim Bade (aka Jim von Baden) is a long-established well-known good guy and friend of the Beemer community. He has video tutorials online and available for download or DVD covering most maintenance tasks.

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
501 Posts
Jim Bade (aka Jim von Baden) is a long-established well-known good guy and friend of the Beemer community. He has video tutorials online and available for download or DVD covering most maintenance tasks.

Cheers, Dave
I have his DVD for the R1200 Liquid Cooled and it's very good.
I think he has a download option.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Congratulations on your 2013! That is the Camhead and IMO one of the best engines built. JVB’s manuals are well worth it! I also have the BMW repair disk that covers up to 2016 models. You can look on eBay and pick one of those up really cheap. Windows based program, but it is really handy with pictures and maintenance schedules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,898 Posts
There’s also RealOEM as an online parts reference. Its additional utility is that it shows cross-references to other models which can be handy when you're looking for a part that might be available aftermarket but isn't commonly listed under R1200R.

Reactions: dbyker

·
Registered
BMW R1200R
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congratulations on your 2013! That is the Camhead and IMO one of the best engines built. JVB’s manuals are well worth it! I also have the BMW repair disk that covers up to 2016 models. You can look on eBay and pick one of those up really cheap. Windows based program, but it is really handy with pictures and maintenance schedules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you Brian, can you explain what do you mkena by IMO, camhead i'm familiar with. Is this the best motor of the R family?

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,898 Posts
Is this the best motor of the R family?
It’s seems to be Brian’s favourite, although owners of the liquid cooled Roadsters (2015+) would argue otherwise.
The 2010-14 was an upgrade from the earlier 2006+ model, with more sophisticated heads/valve-train. The engine remains in production for the rNineT range, so is certainly a well proven design.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have the ISO burned to disc. I rarely use it but if I want to be sure of the repair procedure on the 1200 series, I will consult it. If you can find it, it’s worth having in your kit as a reference guide.

Reactions: IvanSan

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,407 Posts
I've had a '09 R12R "Hexhead", '17 RNineT Racer "Camhead" and a '18 R12GS "Wethead". Haven't had the pleasure of a R1250 "Shiftcam" yet.

To me, they're all good engines. From a subjective perspective, I found the Camhead to have notably superior charisma and attitude compared to the Hexhead, and the Wethead to be arguably better and more modern in feel than the Camhead. Stated differently, the Camhead feels like the pinnacle of 20th century analog development (probably why it lives on in the RNineT "Heritage" line), while the Wethead feels more like a 21st century digital powerplant especially with all the electronic aids that come along with the newer bike. I hope that makes some sense and doesn't cause too much dissension in the ranks ;)

I could easily live with either a Camhead or a Wethead for the rest of my life, IMO they are more different than better or worse. I'm actually half-heartedly looking for a used Camhead R12R or RNineT because I like that powerplant that much.

Cheers! Dave

Reactions: IvanSan

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Ivan,
I would also like to congradulate you on purchasing such a fine motorcycle. I too have a 2013 R1200R, which I bought two and half years ago with 40,000 kilometres on the clock.
It is by far the nicest bike I have ever owned, or ridden. You will be very pleased with your purchase.
I bought a Haynes manual for mine. The manuals officially only cover up to the 2012 models, but I was advised (prior to purchasing the manual) that the 2013 model is the same as the 2012.

I have found the Haynes manual very helpful in most cases, but if you go to change the alternator belt, there are far easier suggestions available on the internet than in the Haynes manual.

Happy riding,
Ken (Newcastle)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts