BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a slip on, mostly for looks and growl. Coming up with a ton of ads for GR Moto, but I've never heard of them. Other than Akro, what's out there - and most importantly, what's not crazy expensive?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking at a slip on, mostly for looks and growl. Coming up with a ton of ads for GR Moto, but I've never heard of them. Other than Akro, what's out there - and most importantly, what's not crazy expensive?
Purchased a gr Moto , not quit what I hoped , it looks very small and out of proportion to the bike more suited to a 125, and has a horrible whistle note when blipping, not a nice deep tone when riding either which is what I was after.

·
Registered
R1250R
640 Posts
Looking at a slip on, mostly for looks and growl.
Bear in mind it is harder and harder to get more growl.

I went for a SC-Project SC1-R. The bike looks far better with the SC Project can (the OE item is a disgrace) and has a decent bark on the throttle. It is a EURO 4 can and road legal. The baffle is welded in so you cannot remove it.

Personally, I feel there are far too many OTT noisy bikes out there today anyway. So I’m happy with an aftermarket legal can. The bike now sounds good (and looks good) without being anti-social.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Bear in mind it is harder and harder to get more growl.

I went for a SC-Project SC1-R. The bike looks far better with the SC Project can (the OE item is a disgrace) and has a decent bark on the throttle. It is a EURO 4 can and road legal. The baffle is welded in so you cannot remove it.

Personally, I feel there are far too many OTT noisy bikes out there today anyway. So I’m happy with an aftermarket legal can. The bike now sounds good (and looks good) without being anti-social.
I got an SC-Project before they started making the baffles permanent. I tried it without the baffle once for about a half hour and promptly re-installed it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My goal isn't loud, it's deep and not chrome. Being in the USA, the work standards don't much matter to me.

I definitely don't want loud, and I can't stand high pitch. The stock can isn't bad, I just hate chrome and if I'm changing it out, may As well get some growl.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My bike came with an SC Pilot exhaust with the decibel killer removed. It's plenty loud sitting around revving her up and you can definitely hear it roar when giving the bike the beans at speed, but it's not so loud as to give you a headache. Deep and throaty with a bit of rasp. Right now I'm getting lots of backfiring, so I have plans to get the bike dyno tuned, right after her full servicing. My friends like it, and I'm not sure if the decibel killer will ever get put back in.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I posted here about the Delkevic slip-on that I installed on my hexhead:

As mentioned in the post, it was one of the best $280 investments I’ve made for the bike. Still think it’s great.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Highly rate the Arrow Maxi Race-Tech. Great quality and about 1/3 the price of SC and Akra.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I posted here about the Delkevic slip-on that I installed on my hexhead:

As mentioned in the post, it was one of the best $280 investments I’ve made for the bike. Still think it’s great.
Unfortunately, they don't make one for the LC bike

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
319 Posts
Why do I read these threads? Now having just a 'look' at what's available.
Same. That's still one thing I'd like to do to mine. I actually don't mind the sound and noise level of mine at all, but with the matte paint (Pollux), brushed stainless, and all the gray and black on the bike, I'd really like to get that bright and shiny chome off and put something on that's more subdued and complementary to the rest of the bike, i.e. something like an Akra or the SC that Gareth has on his right above this post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently went through the same process for my hexhead (looks and growl) and got a PipeWerx. Half the price of Akra, Arrow, SC. Sounds and looks great (reflection from snow thrower on baffle looks cool too). Super easy install and no unsightly springs. Has a removable baffle, but I haven't bothered to remove it. It makes me very happy.
PipeWerx slip on.JPG
PipWerx slip on 2.JPG

·
Dave in NE TN
1,183 Posts
Why do I read these threads? Now having just a 'look' at what's available.
Go on basstodave, the bike looks soooo much better with the OE dust bin removed and a tasty can in place.
And SOUNDS so much better too! And shaves TONS of weight! And handles WAY better!

Men will fear you, and women will want you!! :devilish:

Cheers, Dave (here for you man)

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,394 Posts
Very happy with my SC Project Euro3 version (which you should be able to use - with the baffle in).

Torque below 4000 rpm comes in much stronger than with the stock muffler, so I'm actually getting better fuel consumption as I'm generally at lower rpm. I'd look at the dyno charts to assess the difference above - hard to feel there by the seat of the pants without a direct back-to-back.

Here's a sound comparison, noting I have the flapper valve disconnected, so all options have a bit more presence at idle, and it crackles a bit more on decel once the revs drop below 2500 rpm as the fuel starts to come back in.
There's likely more bass to the sound than you'll hear on the recording as I was just using my DSLR's built-in microphone (on a manual setting for consistency).

1 - 20 of 84 Posts