BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just fitted a GPR slip on can a few months back to my LC, sounds OK, tried it with and without the DB killer, left it in, not overly noisy, until the throttle gets wound open, cackles a bit when rolling the throttle off. Does not appear to have made much impact on either performance or fuel.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Same. That's still one thing I'd like to do to mine. I actually don't mind the sound and noise level of mine at all, but with the matte paint (Pollux), brushed stainless, and all the gray and black on the bike, I'd really like to get that bright and shiny chome off and put something on that's more subdued and complementary to the rest of the bike, i.e. something like an Akra or the SC that Gareth has on his right above this post.
I have gone over and over the sounds of the OEM vs Akra vs SC and I like the OEM best. At this point. Is the only chrome on the bike a monstrosity or a feature? I would buy an SC1-R in an instant if it sounded like the OEM.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
319 Posts
I have gone over and over the sounds of the OEM vs Akra vs SC and I like the OEM best. At this point. Is the only chrome on the bike a monstrosity or a feature? I would buy an SC1-R in an instant if it sounded like the OEM.
I agree with you that the OEM sound is, I think, just fine...has a growl when you open up the throttle, and it's mild enough at stop to not be intrusive or annoying. If my bike had gloss paint like your Black or the HP white, the visual issue likely wouldn't be an problem for me, but when every other surface piece on my bike is either matte or brushed, the (overly large) bright, shiny chrome really makes itself known and seems visually separate from the bike, so to speak, and I wish that wasn't so much the case. Will that annoyance / preference be enough to make me change it out? Probably not normally, but I really do see this bike a long-term bike -- longer than the 3 to 5 years of all my previous bikes -- so I may bite the bullet and just do it at some point.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I agree with you that the OEM sound is, I think, just fine...has a growl when you open up the throttle, and it's mild enough at stop to not be intrusive or annoying. If my bike had gloss paint like your Black or the HP white, the visual issue likely wouldn't be an problem for me, but when every other surface piece on my bike is either matte or brushed, the (overly large) bright, shiny chrome really makes itself known and seems visually separate from the bike, so to speak, and I wish that wasn't so much the case. Will that annoyance / preference be enough to make me change it out? Probably not normally, but I really do see this bike a long-term bike -- longer than the 3 to 5 years of all my previous bikes -- so I may bite the bullet and just do it at some point.
After the obscenely loud noise of exhausts, Jardines, for example, I’ve had on other bikes, these slip-ons for the BMW sound like “raspberries” (to me). Kind of like a stepped up version of clothespinning playing cards to the spokes on my Schwinn.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here's a sound comparison, noting I have the flapper valve disconnected, so all options have a bit more presence at idle, and it crackles a bit more on decel once the revs drop below 2500 rpm as the fuel starts to come back in.

Panzermann, I’ve been wondering about the deceleration “crackle” that you mentioned in your post. Someone told me recently that after any change in exhaust components one should have a bike dyno tuned. I’ve noticed a more pronounced “burble” on deceleration after installing the new slip-on (I guess that’s the crackle you described). It’s not a pronounced backfire, just a rather pleasant grumbling sound. Is that anything to be concerned about? My bike has never been on a dyno.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,394 Posts
Panzermann, I’ve been wondering about the deceleration “crackle” that you mentioned in your post. Someone told me recently that after any change in exhaust components one should have a bike dyno tuned. I’ve noticed a more pronounced “burble” on deceleration after installing the new slip-on (I guess that’s the crackle you described). It’s not a pronounced backfire, just a rather pleasant grumbling sound. Is that anything to be concerned about? My bike has never been on a dyno.
For a slip-on that is Euro compliant for your model, no change of tune is required. The BMW Akra option doesn't require a re-tune, for example.

You could potentially extract more power with a dyno tune, as bikes are factory tuned to meet emissions, and BMW's are pretty lean, but it isn't necessary.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The PipeWorx look pretty great!

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
36 Posts
Looking at a slip on, mostly for looks and growl. Coming up with a ton of ads for GR Moto, but I've never heard of them. Other than Akro, what's out there - and most importantly, what's not crazy expensive?
I have the Remus fitted. Looks and sounds great baffle in or baffle out (same, but LOUDER!). Very happy to recommend it, but then they all look better than stock.

As for GR Moto, they are good and their price is very competitive. I have one on my XR and it sounds incredible, but that's a four pot and I have no idea what they would sound like on a boxer. Their build quality is fine, but not up to the standard of the other brands mentioned but at the price you cannot complain!

·
Registered
319 Posts
This brings up a kind of interesting experience I had with my dealer this winter. As an earlier post in this thread indicates, I'd been giving some thought to replacing the OEM chrome, so stopped by my BMW dealer in late winter to see how much it would be to order the Akra (that the HP, et al all have as stock) and have it installed at a future service appt (yes, I know it'd be cheaper to order and install myself...just checking prices at that point). I was told that they can't order just the silencer alone anymore...if I wanted the Akra silencer, I would have to order the entire Akra exhaust system, running something like $4K, as I recall. They told me this as they had an Akra silencer hooked to the wall behind them with a few other accessories. That sounded so odd that I asked them if I understood him correctly, and he said yes. So I don't know if that's a standard dealer requirement or not, but it sure was a puzzling disappointment.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
That’s BS. I recently asked my BMW mechanic who said he’d be happy to install an Akra. You can get one at Revzilla.

·
Registered
319 Posts
That’s BS. I recently asked my BMW mechanic who said he’d be happy to install an Akra. You can get one at Revzilla.
Oh, that's definitely the road I'll go down if I opt for a replacement...just odd that BMW (or my local dealer, anyhow, but he was giving me the information he saw on his computer when checking regional inventory and order requirements) purportedly required it. I thought maybe it had something to do with Euro 5, but that still doesn't make sense since the HP comes stock with the Akra.:unsure:

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Oh, that's definitely the road I'll go down if I opt for a replacement...just odd that BMW (or my local dealer, anyhow, but he was giving me the information he saw on his computer when checking regional inventory and order requirements) purportedly required it. I thought maybe it had something to do with Euro 5, but that still doesn't make sense since the HP comes stock with the Akra.:unsure:
SC has a Euro 5 version for the 2021 model. For the Akra, the part number is the same for 2020 and 2021.

·
Registered
R1250R
640 Posts
I was told that they can't order just the silencer alone anymore...if I wanted the Akra silencer, I would have to order the entire Akra exhaust system, running something like $4K, as I recall.
I think I’d be somewhat blunt, and ask if they had anybody available who actually who knows what they are talking about. Failing that find another dealer.

I thought maybe it had something to do with Euro 5, but that still doesn't make sense since the HP comes stock with the Akra.
As I understand it the full Akra system does away with the CAT. I don’t know what the regs are in the US, but in the UK it means your bike is no longer road legal. I would expect it also to invalidate ones warranty. Plus you’ll need to re-map the bike to suit the full Akra system.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,394 Posts
@RC65 - it could simply be a cataloguing issue. I checked online fiches (realoem and Max BMW) and couldn’t find the Sports Muffler (Akrapovic) listed anywhere as a replacement or accessory part, notwithstanding it’s fitted as the HP option.

·
Registered
319 Posts
@RC65 - it could simply be a cataloguing issue. I checked online fiches (realoem and Max BMW) and couldn’t find the Sports Muffler (Akrapovic) listed anywhere as a replacement or accessory part, notwithstanding it’s fitted as the HP option.
I suspect that’s exactly what he ran into. I don’t understand why the Akra slip-on is not listed, and the full Akra exhaust system is, but I am a bit surprised that it didn’t throw up a red flag in his mind to investigate more, rather than insist on that being the case when I pushed the matter.
I think I’d be somewhat blunt, and ask if they had anybody available who actually who knows what they are talking about. Failing that find another dealer..
The convenience of their near proximity to me keeps me in a forgiving mood, for now.

·
Registered
R1250R
640 Posts
I suspect that’s exactly what he ran into.
Which surely is when he takes your number and says I’ll look into that and get back to you.

I can see a part number of 77 11 9 444 595 Dunno if that helps.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Which surely is when he takes your number and says I’ll look into that and get back to you.

I can see a part number of 77 11 9 444 595 Dunno if that helps.
It certainly doesn’t hurt...thanks, I’ll make note of it. I was planning on dropping by the dealership in the near future anyhow to see the new S1000R in person — just for fun —so will follow up and check on it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Pipewerx is looking like the winner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking at a slip on, mostly for looks and growl. Coming up with a ton of ads for GR Moto, but I've never heard of them. Other than Akro, what's out there - and most importantly, what's not crazy expensive?
Originally wanted the SC project SCR-1 but can't justify the expense, instead I opted for the Arrow Maxi-race in Titanium at appx. half the cost of the SC or even the Ackro-
I'll check back with a sound report in about 3 weeks

21 - 40 of 84 Posts