BMW R1200R Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bear in mind it is harder and harder to get more growl.

I went for a SC-Project SC1-R. The bike looks far better with the SC Project can (the OE item is a disgrace) and has a decent bark on the throttle. It is a EURO 4 can and road legal. The baffle is welded in so you cannot remove it.

Personally, I feel there are far too many OTT noisy bikes out there today anyway. So I’m happy with an aftermarket legal can. The bike now sounds good (and looks good) without being anti-social.

View attachment 111786
Looks nice.
Do you have a video with audio of exhaust note? Especially at cruising speed ~100 km/hr ?
Cheers
B

·
Registered
R1250R
640 Posts
Looks nice.

Do you have a video with audio of exhaust note? Especially at cruising speed ~100 km/hr ?

Cheers

B

Umm no, afraid not. It is louder than standard. It sounds much more purposeful on tick over. It has a fair bark on an open throttle. But at a constant 100km/hr (60mph in old money) you’ll hardly hear it at all.

·
Registered
R1250R
640 Posts
Thanks for this vid, Gareth. I withdraw my comment that Kevin is all but inintelligible - make that 'totally unintelligible'. I laughed like a drain!

Dear oh dear, I find him clear and quite eloquent, though his use of language can be a little colourful at times.

There’s loads of Keven Bridges stuff on youtube. Yeah he's pretty good.

Another cracking Scottish comedian is Frankie Boyle, though he has a reputation for being offensive – the tabloid press here have run numerous campaigns to try and silence him. I looked about for a good clip of Frankie on you tube, and there are loads, but well, umm, naw, I might have been pushing it a little with that Kevin Bridges clip, but I’ll not get away with Frankie Boyle. I found lots of hysterically funny stuff, but nothing I felt comfortable posting on an international bike forum. He is brilliant, and his jokes, shocking though many are, do have a point to them.

·
Registered
R1250 R, S1000 XR (is that a swear word here?!!) and a Ducati 998 FE (definitely a swear word!!!)
36 Posts
This brings up a kind of interesting experience I had with my dealer this winter. As an earlier post in this thread indicates, I'd been giving some thought to replacing the OEM chrome, so stopped by my BMW dealer in late winter to see how much it would be to order the Akra (that the HP, et al all have as stock) and have it installed at a future service appt (yes, I know it'd be cheaper to order and install myself...just checking prices at that point). I was told that they can't order just the silencer alone anymore...if I wanted the Akra silencer, I would have to order the entire Akra exhaust system, running something like $4K, as I recall. They told me this as they had an Akra silencer hooked to the wall behind them with a few other accessories. That sounded so odd that I asked them if I understood him correctly, and he said yes. So I don't know if that's a standard dealer requirement or not, but it sure was a puzzling disappointment.
The dealer is spinning you a yarn without doubt, but there is a bigger issue with that statement with Euro4 and Euro5 bikes, certainly as far as the UK goes, and that is a de-cat / de-exhaust flap header such as the Akrapovic will, as it says on their website, require a remap because you will get fault codes amongst no doubt potential running issues.
Now, you just try and locate anyone that can actually do this!! I spoke to several Dyno companies in the UK and all but one said it is not possible on those Euro 4 and 5 bikes. It is just possible the one company in the UK has found a way into the ECU, but I spoke with DynojetUK and they said no way and they are not even attempting any hardware or software for the foreseeable future on these models and that told me all I needed to know…..
I so badly wanted a titanium header, but was not prepared to take the risk of coding errors so opted for a glacier black ceramic coating that I absolutely love and it saved a small fortune; £120 compared to a titanium at over £1000 and the look in my opinion, and that’s what counts on my own bike, looks awesome. A big shout out to High-Spec Coatings in Sussex!!!

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,394 Posts
Dear oh dear, I find him clear and quite eloquent,
Reminds me of an experience I had whilst at the Royal Military College of Science back in the late 80's. We were studying artillery technology at the time and in groups visited various stands around the 'gun shed' where experienced Army personnel would explain the distinctive technical intricacies of various artillery pieces. At the105 mm light gun stand (what we call the Hamel) a Scottish Warrant Officer began explaining the gun's features with gusto in his best Scottish accent. I had to concentrate fiercely to keep up with him and if I 'lost sync', had to wait until he drew breath to explain a different feature – the residual monologue may as well been in Mandarin.

As an aside, that year was my first opportunity to ride a Brick (whilst my bevel SS languished in storage back in Oz). Compared to the lithe and tightly sprung SS, I found it quite a foreign experience.

Reactions: dbyker

·
Registered
7 Posts
As I understand it we actually pay more for the privilege of having the chrome monstrosity fitted. I saw, probably on here, a bike that was fitted with the 'standard' can, and it looked much better.
I would like the same sound, but less bling.

·
Registered
R1250R
640 Posts
Gareth said:

Dear oh dear, I find him clear and quite eloquent,

Reminds me of an experience I had whilst at the Royal Military College of Science back in the late 80's. We were studying artillery technology at the time and in groups visited various stands around the 'gun shed' where experienced Army personnel would explain the distinctive technical intricacies of various artillery pieces. At the105 mm light gun stand (what we call the Hamel) a Scottish Warrant Officer began explaining the gun's features with gusto in his best Scottish accent. I had to concentrate fiercely to keep up with him and if I 'lost sync', had to wait until he drew breath to explain a different feature – the residual monologue may as well been in Mandarin.

As an aside, that year was my first opportunity to ride a Brick (whilst my bevel SS languished in storage back in Oz). Compared to the lithe and tightly sprung SS, I found it quite a foreign experience.

Ah, talking of comedy, this old fart seems to have had a senior moment. It appears I’ve posted in the wrong thread. Doh!

·
Registered
R1250R
640 Posts
As I understand it we actually pay more for the privilege of having the chrome monstrosity fitted. I saw, probably on here, a bike that was fitted with the 'standard' can, and it looked much better.

I would like the same sound, but less bling.
Yes indeed, I think it is something like 150 quid extra to have the end can chromed. I have to disagree with you in that it looks much better without the chrome, I would say it looks very slightly less offensive.

I so badly wanted a titanium header, but was not prepared to take the risk of coding errors so opted for a glacier black ceramic coating that I absolutely love and it saved a small fortune; £120 compared to a titanium at over £1000 and the look in my opinion, and that’s what counts on my own bike, looks awesome.
Aye yer ceramic coated headers do look pretty decent Pete.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Umm no, afraid not. It is louder than standard. It sounds much more purposeful on tick over. It has a fair bark on an open throttle. But at a constant 100km/hr (60mph in old money) you’ll hardly hear it at all.
Thanks for the reply :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Looking at a slip on, mostly for looks and growl. Coming up with a ton of ads for GR Moto, but I've never heard of them. Other than Akro, what's out there - and most importantly, what's not crazy expensive?
I just fitted a GPR slip on can a few months back to my LC, sounds OK, tried it with and without the DB killer, left it in, not overly noisy, until the throttle gets wound open, cackles a bit when rolling the throttle off. Does not appear to have made much impact on either performance or fuel.....
I came to BMW after riding Harley-Davidson motorcycles for many years. One of my favorite aspects of my R1200R is that the engine/exhaust is that it is so quiet. I ride through a lot of mountain tourist towns where the local law enforcement officers have no sense of humor when it comes to noisy motorcycles. On my Harley Dyna Super Glide with a relatively quiet FatCAT 2-into-1 exhaust, I still had to be light on the throttle to avoid drawing the attention of the police. With the BMW, I doubt that they can hear the engine running most of the time.

While I can't recommend a good slip-on to you, I can tell you that I have heard more aftermarket exhausts that sound terrible than ones that sound good. It's too bad that you can't try-on a slip-on before you buy it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I came to BMW after riding Harley-Davidson motorcycles for many years. One of my favorite aspects of my R1200R is that the engine/exhaust is that it is so quiet. I ride through a lot of mountain tourist towns where the local law enforcement officers have no sense of humor when it comes to noisy motorcycles. On my Harley Dyna Super Glide with a relatively quiet FatCAT 2-into-1 exhaust, I still had to be light on the throttle to avoid drawing the attention of the police. With the BMW, I doubt that they can hear the engine running most of the time.

While I can't recommend a good slip-on to you, I can tell you that I have heard more aftermarket exhausts that sound terrible than ones that sound good. It's too bad that you can't try-on a slip-on before you buy it.
Yep. I rode HD and heavy cruisers for a long time. Run everything from skirt blowers to cholos to ProPipes. Resonance is surely a thing.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Chatted with Bob's today - Apparently Remus is no longer filling USA distribution.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,183 Posts
Chatted with Bob's today - Apparently Remus is no longer filling USA distribution.
That's a darn shame. Remus makes an excellent premium product. This is probably due to Euro 5 or US bureaucratic standards (like no more LED turn signals). Hopefully other exhaust manufacturers won't have to follow suit, but they probably will. Sigh.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
After getting a loud exhaust ticket for the TBR/Akra combo on my R9T, when it came to getting an exhaust for the 1250R, I wanted something that sounded better than stock but not necessarily louder.

I got the titanium Arrow and it's exactly what I wanted. Deeper tone at idle, roughly the same volume when cruising and a little more bark when WOT. Not to mention it looks infinitely better than the chrome trash can.

You can take out the DB killer in 15 seconds if you want it louder and put it back in if you're going through an area where there are a lot of cops

·
Registered
26 Posts
Purchased a gr Moto , not quit what I hoped , it looks very small and out of proportion to the bike more suited to a 125, and has a horrible whistle note when blipping, not a nice deep tone when riding either which is what I was after.
Hi @Vinnie75
Do you have any photos and/or sound recording of the GR Moto please
TIA
Brett

41 - 60 of 84 Posts