BMW R1200R Forum banner
161 - 180 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
443 Posts
To me function is always before form, but if I can have both, that's always my preference. And the Akra is tops on both,so I did what somebody else said: Ordered it, and cried over my smoking credit card later. Ha ha.
Hey, ElpTXjc, sent you a DM…just a quick question r.e. the Akra.

·
Registered
R1250R
776 Posts
To each his own, of course, but for those who don't care about OEM aesthetics, the EU-approved one is a solid choice, of course.
As already pointed out there are a number of homologated aftermarket exhaust options. Off the top of my head, I think there are offerings from SC Project, Arrow, REMUS as well as the BMW endorsed Akrapovic aftermarket option. You can also tick the HP Sports silencer option when you order your bike new and have the Akrapovic factory fitted as OE.

Euro4/5 Homologation means that the homologated parts meet the same basic standard as OE.

You don’t have to fit a homologated can, and there are lots of non- homologated options, but I like to keep my bike road legal.

·
Registered
479 Posts
As already pointed out, there are a number of homologated aftermarket exhaust options.
I know. I was talking about OEM AESTHETICS, which at least the Remus clearly doesn't have. That's why I said if you want BOTH OEM function AND form, there are few choices. The homologation only refers to function (and fit). And that's perfectly fine... if you're not as 'anal' about OEM aesthetics as I am ;). A can with all the plumbing showing just cheapens our bike IMO, but to each his own, of course. The black Akra complements the elegant R1250R perfectly (the other 'diarrhea' color I don't like. Ha ha), as seen below :p (I've done many other improvements since that first ride, including LED turn-signals, frame plugs, removal of the ill-fitting Evotech tail tidy, etc).
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
R1250R
776 Posts
Why dust bin? Why not (big chromed) ice cream cone, falafel or giro sandwich?
Yeah. Or, was it chromed Cannon at one point? Though mine came un-chromed as the chrome is a 150 quid option in the UKo_O. In my humble opinion the chrome makes it look even worse.

Hey some people like the chrome falafel, some folks like the Akra, though I think it still looks too big, so I like the SC Project. I like the way the SC Project shows off the wheel on the single sided swing arm.

And, umm, yes I also like big top boxes – not really the look of them, just they are so handy.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
2021 R1250R
58 Posts
Yeah. Or, was it chromed Cannon at one point? Though mine came un-chromed as the chrome is a 150 quid option in the UKo_O. In my humble opinion the chrome makes it look even worse.

Hey some people like the chrome falafel, some folks like the Akra, though I think it still looks too big, so I like the SC Project. I like the way the SC Project shows off the wheel on the single sided swing arm.

And, umm, yes I also like big top boxes – not really the look of them, just they are so handy.

View attachment 113874
The SCP looks great - no doubt in my mind that it was either the SCP or Remus that provides the best quality, noise, and overall performance for the £$. I have had 3 Akras on my last 3 bikes as they made a great option for them in terms of noise/size/weight. But for the R/RS - Akra‘s option offers relatively small weight/size/noise advantage over the standard oem design. The SCP and Remus are sleek and in better keeping with the Roaster’s design, superbly well made/finished, homologated, and highly performant too. Win-win-win-win.
You are forgiven on the topbox :LOL:

The Remus

·
Registered
R1250R
776 Posts
The SCP looks great - no doubt in my mind that it was either the SCP or Remus that provides the best quality, noise, and overall performance for the £$. I have had 3 Akras on my last 3 bikes as they made a great option for them in terms of noise/size/weight. But for the R/RS - Akra‘s option offers relatively small weight/size/noise advantage over the standard oem design. The SCP and Remus are sleek and in better keeping with the Roaster’s design, superbly well made/finished, homologated, and highly performant too. Win-win-win-win.

Cheers. The AKRA maybe has the advantage of being homologated but still having a removeable baffle. Though I think the days of legal cans with removeable baffles are very much numbered. The SC Project baffle is fixed. Remus looks good. I note that you can buy the Remus can as a homologated or non homologated product (fixed v removeable baffle no doubt).

You like the top box……..

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Cloud Vehicle

·
Registered
2021 R1250R
58 Posts
Cheers. The AKRA maybe has the advantage of being homologated but still having a removeable baffle. Though I think the days of legal cans with removeable baffles are very much numbered. The SC Project baffle is fixed. Remus looks good. I note that you can buy the Remus can as a homologated or non homologated product (fixed v removeable baffle no doubt).
If you get the Remus part number 64783 088219 version (as I bought from BMW), it is both type approved (with certificate) and the baffles are removable. The latest EU5 version may have spot welded baffles however (I’m not sure). Even the Akras have had welded baffles since EU4 and their values on 2nd hand market reflects this.

·
Registered
R1250R
776 Posts
If you get the Remus part number 64783 088219 version (as I bought from BMW), it is both type approved (with certificate) and the baffles are removable. The latest EU5 version may have spot welded baffles however (I’m not sure). Even the Akras have had welded baffles since EU4 and their values on 2nd hand market reflects this.
I got my R1250R in march 2020. At that time the only two options available as far as I could see were the Akra or the SC Project. I could have had the Akra as an OE fitment, but choose not to tick that box and went with the aftermarket Sc Project. I’m happy with it – expensive, though still a good saving over the silly priced Akra.

Here’s a guide to removing the SC Project baffle. I don’t think I’ll bother! Pretty sure it will be anti-social without the baffle anyway.

SC-Project dB Killer Removal

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,407 Posts
I bought my Akra in 2018 and specified Euro 3 with removable baffles. Don't know if they're still available or not. To this day have not felt the need to remove either or both baffles, sounds good just the way it is to me - barks when fired up, roars when ridden in anger, sounds great just rolling down the road.

Have owned a couple Remus including a full system with catless headers & muffler, liked them all very much.

Never had the pleasure of a SC Project, but wouldn't kick one out of bed for eating crackers.

Cheers, Dave

·
Premium Member
551 Posts

The Remus
I take it the Remus Blackhawk provides an attachment point for the stock heat shield?

·
Registered
479 Posts
expensive, though still a good saving over the silly priced Akra.
SC or Akra is a harder decision for you guys, since it's much cheaper there. But in the US, it's even more 'silly priced' than the Akra, so it was an easy decision for me. By the way, the rear wheel looks almost the same with both cans. And yes, the Akra is larger than most of us would like, but that gives it a deep and refined sound the other slim cans just can't deliver. But of course it's a matter of preference. You can't have everything in one can (or bike, or whatever), so have to make compromises ;) .

·
Registered
2021 R1250R
58 Posts
but that gives it a deep and refined sound the other slim cans just can't deliver. But of course it's a matter of preference. You can't have everything in one can (or bike, or whatever), so have to make compromises ;) .
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Much better than chrome IMO, especially on that color. But you need to choose the right black (or close to black), and also the right sheen (you don't want it glossy). My black titanium Akra goes beautifully with the wheels, swingarm, and frame IMO. You could shoot for something like that, but no idea where to find that info. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Jet-Hot says flat or satin black. I think flat is the least glossy.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
443 Posts
I wouldn’t advise flat black…my Ninja has a flat stock black pipe and it just looks dry and industrial and in visual contrast with everything else on the bike, even seems to shift slightly into the charcoal / dark gray range when it gets hot. The satin black should be just right… not glossy, per se, just likely close to the Akra or any of the more popular aftermarket brand options.

161 - 180 of 187 Posts