BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am deeply disappointed with my bike at the moment. There is an ongoing issue with my throttle grip sensor that continuously puts the bike in limp mode. Here is a photo from yesterday, barely even made it out the driveway.

The issue happens when you tend to downshift or coming to a stop and you close the throttle to downshift (believe me I have no problem with continuous upshift :cool: (maybe overthinking it at this point)
This happened a bit over a year ago and needed an entirely new throttle assembly which seemed to have fixed the issue. The dealer was great, I have been very patient and we got it done.
Got the bike serviced (same dealer) and the issue started again.
I am a tad fed up this time with it and wanted to know if anybody else has had a similar issue. If yes, how was it resolved? Will this ever end?
Any advice, direction - greatly appreciated.
many thanks,
Zubes.
Bike Fault.jpg

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Over 24000 miles and no trouble lights here.
I would suggest to keep working with the dealer especially if that is the place You purchased from

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,287 Posts
First report of this issue I've seen on this forum.

It would be interesting to see the throttle position readout and to see if it's consistent, although you'd likely need to observe the reading as you open/close the throttle for a long period to catch a glitch.

·
Registered
484 Posts
There are reports of a similar issue on the BMW MOA forum, but not the grip sensor (there's a grip sensor?)

IIRC the throttle position sensor was the issue, and the eventual fix was to rebalance the two throttles.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,287 Posts
IIRC the throttle position sensor was the issue, and the eventual fix was to rebalance the two throttles.
Being ride by wire, the LC doesn’t have a throttle position sensor as such - the twist grip performs that function, telling the ECU how far to open each of the throttle actuators.

I expect the throttle actuators self calibrate their zero position as part of the startup sequence.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I expect the throttle actuators self calibrate their zero position as part of the startup sequence.
... And I think that was the issue - the plates were not realigning themselves correctly or something, and the sensors/actuators were then not returning correct values to the ECU, hence limp mode...

·
Registered
2015 R1200R
6 Posts
you can reset the throttle values with a GS-911 tool, I caused my bike to be a "limp home" mode by not finishing this procedure...might be worth a try

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has the dealer re-installed the software? I had continuous problems over months on my 2017 with the bike going into limp mode with the error code throttle grip sensor. Software re-install fixed it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this issue on my then new MY17 RS. The handlebar unit was replaced, but the fault still randomly came up. So dangerous in traffic. A replacement ECU finally resolved the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts