BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I did search the forum but could only find discussions about mounting GoPro-like cameras. Sorry if this was asked before. if you can post the thread link I will be grateful.

My question is, I am looking for is permanently mounted discreet motorcycle dashcam. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Blueskysea-Motorcycle-Recording-Waterproof-Version/dp/B07DWT911R/

Has anyone installed this type of camera system? What model/brand is recommended?

Thank you.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I went with the Innovv K2 system. Very nice. Works well with the experimental firmware update (long discussion).

·
Super Moderator
5,182 Posts
@mikeS is also very happy with his Innovv

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Lots of dashcam content here @Kramer. Tried a number of devices including adapting GoPro and lots of trial & error. Finally, settled on Innovv K2 - very happy with support, functionality and quality. BTW, I purchased directly from the Chinese manufacturer, and while initially reluctant to deal direct - no issue with purchase & support. I inadvertently overpaid and wasn't aware until I received a refund on my PayPal account. I'm happy to provide more installation info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I purchased directly from the Chinese manufacturer, and while initially reluctant to deal direct - no issue with purchase & support. I inadvertently overpaid and wasn't aware until I received a refund on my PayPal account. I'm happy to provide more installation info.
Where did you buy it online? from innovv.com?

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Where did you buy it online? from innovv.com?
I purchased online from Innovv.com. We don't have a distributor in OZ so the website let me buy direct. However, I sent them quite a few emails back and forth before I decided to purchase. If you can buy direct you will find them very helpful. I would suggest flicking a few questions via email before you try to purchase. Cheers MikeS

·
Registered
59 Posts
Being the cheapskate I am, I went with the budget version Blueskysea B1M Motorcycle Dash Camera Action Recorder 135°Wide Angle 2 Channels | eBay

Still photos can only be triggered via mobile app, which is silly, and it lacks the feature that would start recording if bumped while parking, but other than that, it has so far worked just fine. Do the quite straightforward installation and forget about it, starts recording when power outlet of bike powered and stops when it shuts down... Oldest video clips overwritten when memory card (supports up to 128GB) gets full, except the ones in emergency folder send there by g-censor or button press from the single button remote.

No 4k video, but decent quality at least in bright daylight (still capture from vid)

I have no GPS unit so no location or speed info available.

I've only had it installed for couple of months, so I can say nothing about the durability of the product yet, but so far so good...

·
Super Moderator
5,182 Posts
Only trouble with these is that they can be incriminating regarding speed – for those who choose to exceed speed limits, of course, not me ... 😜

Reactions: FinPatu

·
Super Moderator
5,182 Posts
In a critical incident, though, it wouldn’t be hard to determine speed based on analysis of frames related to distance measured on the ground, so lack of GPS capability isn’t necessarily going to get you off the hook ...

Reactions: FinPatu

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
The good news for those who've installed an Innovv K2 - GPS tracking is a setting option. Can be disabled on the fly via the app. If, like me, the rider keeps GPS tracking enabled, and are too heavy on the juice, then yes, one could possible sitting on a sticking license shredder.

·
Registered
102 Posts
IIRC (at least here in the US), they would have to have probable cause to access any section of video not related to an incident. So, if you post a clip at 150 MPH, they can't actually ticket you unless there was an incident reported for that piece of video or within a few minutes of that video... I think...

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
The main use for my Innova K2 - you know, those moments you need your own proof. Here a couple of moments caught on the Innova. No button pushing to activate required continuous recording in the background. I'm very happy with the result and have used footage once for a minor traffic incident and one to report a truck driver who tried to run me off my lane. Lots of other unexpected moments captured particularly distracted drivers talking / text on the phones.

·
Super Moderator
5,182 Posts
... unless there was an incident ...
I was thinking in the case of an incident, whether that be pulled up for a significant speeding offence, or where the bike is involved in an accident and in both cases, police are looking for additional related evidence.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
The main use for my Innova K2
The video quality is good, the sound though...reminds me of the day after a bad curry :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm wondering if the GPS speed would be admissible and I'm almost certain that in our country it would not be. After all a consumer grade GPS is not an official measurement device.

At least here any device that measures speed, which could be used as evidence, such as a radar/laser speed gun, needs to be periodically certified to ensure proper reading. In fact you can demand to see the certification papers for a particular device if you're stopped by the police.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm wondering if the GPS speed would be admissible and I'm almost certain that in our country it would not be. After all a consumer grade GPS is not an official measurement device.

At least here any device that measures speed, which could be used as evidence, such as a radar/laser speed gun, needs to be periodically certified to ensure proper reading. In fact you can demand to see the certification papers for a particular device if you're stopped by the police.
In the USA, I’ve heard of GPS evidence being disallowed by the judge, but I think it depends on many factors. Radar guns are pretty “point and shoot” but that doesn’t mean they don’t get used improperly and produce bad results. Add in that most US cops will not pull you over until you’re 10-15 mph over the posted limit (so the ticket is worth the time and trouble of him going to court) and the chief advantage of GPS is to establish a contrast between what recorded and what is accused in the citation.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
The video quality is good, the sound though...reminds me of the day after a bad curry :D
The video quality is excellent straight out of the dashcam DVR, but even more so considering raw footage uploaded to Youtube with its crap codec and then to Tapatalk. Re audio; built-in microphone tucked under the seat - it's not going to win over audiophiles but the audio is an added bonus not it's the primary function. Just saying...

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re audio; built-in microphone tucked under the seat - it's not going to win over audiophiles
My system, I believe, has built-in mic in the cameras (small hole in the back of the cam) so I get only wind noise on any speeds exeeding 30kmh. Unbelievably useless :LOL:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts