BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my first tip over, fell on the left side at almost 0 km/h on a bad move, fortunately I have the OEM plastic engine guards and it got scratched, the Remux Hexacone also hit ground and got a really small scratch on a carbon fiber cover, hardly noticeable. clutch hand lever and mirror also got a little scratched.

So... I've been thinking about bike protection. What's useful or functional and what's just sparkle? what are your experiences with the different protectors, guards, sliders, etc in the event of a fall?

Besides the valve cover guards which I know are not as functional as the aluminum ones but look better IMHO, I have now:
  • Exhaust guard made by R&G Racing (in case of another fall on the left side)
  • Exhaust valve protector by Wunderlich (mere sparkle)
  • Oil cooler cover by Touratech (I don't think it's really necessary, more sparkle than functional IMO)
  • TPS Cover by Wunderlich
I've been thinking about a paralever guard or slider in case of a fall on the right side.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
There are sliders for the front forks. They attach through the hollow front axle. Hard OEM pannier cases might help guard the paralever, exhaust, and your legs in a slide.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Crashguard bars on the engine will help. Better still are putting on the fatso panniers, which are the first thing to hit the ground and prevent damage to sides and cylinders.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Nooooooooo, sorry to hear that.

Everything depends on how fast you fall, and what does your bike stops with.

My opinion is to don't spend the money on protection for the bike (unless you like how it looks), and viceversa for the rider.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I am OK, I was just trying to move the bike on a small inclination, on the bike instead than off the bike, somehow my leg didn't reach ground applied front brake and had to let go the bike on the ground...

OEM fat cases are not an option for me at US$500+ a piece... The dealer included the mounting arms with the bike sale expecting me to buy the panniers sooner or later but I don't think I will do so. At the dealer Christmas party I won the huge waterproof OEM roll bag so I have my baggage needs covered at least when travelling alone since the roll bag covers the whole passenger seat and grab bars.

I am more concerned about protecting my new bike from scratches on compromising situations like the one I had recently.

I know crashguards are really functional but I care about aesthetics too much. A while ago I had a slide on a R1100R and the plastic valvecover guard didn't worked at all, the valve cover was pierced by a small rock. Used to have the hard cases but I used them only for touring, the accident was when I slipped on oily water while commuting in the city. I lost a valve cover, the plastic guard and blinkers, got the passenger grab bar and rear frame plastic cover scratched. Fortunately no major physical damage.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
well, you're on your way to protection because you now realize what not to do in that specific situation.
Those are character marks on the bike. Many many well cared for bikes have them. Forget your pride, and learn what not to in the future. I had a similar tipover when I was on a slight side to side incline--didn't realize it, but will forever notice it now--and got off the center stand. I hit the ground off balance and there's no stopping 500# when it seeks the Earth's center.
I previously had the plastic guards on my 1150. They protect, sort of, but they crack and are expensive for what they are.
On my 12 I have SW Motech guards.
I think the Z Technic guards look best, but they are $450.
I applaud the comment that protecting your body is more important than protecting the bike. The bike is much much cheaper to repair.

John

PS and I wouldn't be putting on all that extra weight, but that's personal opinion.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those are character marks on the bike. Many many well cared for bikes have them.
I know, I think bikes are meant to be used not preserved, and with usage you get character so I expect to make more marks on my bike, it's hard to get used to it and it hurts when is a brand new bike (my previous bikes were all second hand's).

The first time I filled fuel just 2 minutes away from the dealer I made a dent on the tank with the key. The first time I used a tank bag made a dent with a magnet and after that some marks with the suction holders, then the tip over, yesterday at the dealer they scratched the tail light... believe me, I am trying not to bother about it... I know my 90th Anniversary is not going to be immaculate forever

1 - 8 of 8 Posts