BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

would anyone who has purchased this recommended it?

Did you have the Navigator before purchasing, so are able to give a direct comparison?

Are you still seeing update improvements after purchase?

Does it work as well on IOS as it does on Android?

I’ve seen all the videos on YouTube but, most were two years ago during the early design stages.

I know there are other posts on this subject but none appear to have been updated recently and new purchasers may not be aware of the product. I certainly wasn’t, but my previous BMW had the TFT screen (current one doesn’t).

thanks in advance

·
Registered
227 Posts
Have been watching this product with interest and hoping they will continue development to replicate the TFT on the phone as teased recently on their site.

The current iteration does provide the bike data and the ease of use of your phone with the wonder wheel so that is good but if they ever get to the point where they are able to provide the TFT experience, I would be in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume by the very limited replies, people either wouldn’t recommend it or though don’t know it is?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Know what it is, and think it's cool, but personally don't feel like the cost/benefit ratio is high enough for me.

·
2,870 Posts
The issues with this are the screen's visibility in full sunlight and cell coverage for those who venture out in remote areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
“Know what it is, and think it's cool, but personally don't feel like the cost/benefit ratio is high enough for me.”

Do you use the Motarrad Nav or something else?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Bought it, had it, tried it, sold it. The device is excellen quality and genuinely innovative. The company is great and super responsive. That said, the middlware with my Android was kludgy and didn't play well with Waze at the time (last year, may be better). I'm on a Nav VI now, and while the integration to the bike is tighter than two butt cheeks in a snow bank, the Garmin horsepower and overall mediocre ability to pull traffic data from my phone (and the not-totally-occasional "WHY THE HELL AM I ON A COW PATH!") aren't great either.

·
2,870 Posts
what do you use instead?
I have the Motorrad Navigator VI on my ‘17 LC (Garmin) and no screen visibility. The system just works, and a coupled with Garmin App on my iPhone covers all my needs.

Reactions: Darranna

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have it and use it extensively. It's pricey but nowhere near the price of a Navigator which has much more limited functionalities. There are updates on a regular basis on both software and firmware and a beta version that gives access to a replica of the TFT dash. It's not perfect but given the constant evolutions from customer feedback it's really promising. It doesn't need to have mobile coverage to provide information, the navigation app on your phone might though, but you can use specific ones with downloaded maps.

Reactions: Darranna

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have it on my RS. Seems pretty slick, haven't used it too much. I use it with iOS and did have an issue where it froze after I got a text. I've upgraded all the firmware now, weather here hasn't been conducive to test it out again. Hopefully can get out and give it some more road time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys which hardware version of the Wunderlinq are you running Kickstarter, Gen1 or Gen2?

·
Registered
158 Posts
It doesn't need to have mobile coverage to provide information, the navigation app on your phone might though, but you can use specific ones with downloaded maps.
I have the WunderLINQ and really pleased with it. I have a 2016 R1200RS. It's probably more relevant with the non-TFT display on the older R1200 LC models than the newer TFT equipped bikes. In both cases it's way cheaper than the BMW navigator. I use a navigation app called Sceniic, which has integration with the WunderLINQ, which means you can use the wheel on the left handlebar to control the Scenic app. The Scenic app uses pre-loaded maps so no need for cell phone coverage in remote areas. My iPhone 8 + has perfectly good visibility in bright sunlight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the Motorrad Navigator VI on my ‘17 LC (Garmin) and no screen visibility. The system just works, and a coupled with Garmin App on my iPhone covers all my needs.

Hey Mike,
Can I ask you what windshield you have mounted ?
Is it the BMW Sport Screen with some kind of extender?
Also let me know how tall you are and what seat you have, please.

thank you,

Thomas

·
2,870 Posts
Hey Mike,
Can I ask you what windshield you have mounted ?
Is it the BMW Sport Screen with some kind of extender?
Also let me know how tall you are and what seat you have, please.

thank you,

Thomas
@Nuremberger1958: Apologies for the later response. I have the OEM sport screen with a few of Nigel-design modifications. I am around 5’7” with the OEM low seat fitted with an SW-Motech seat cushion. In standard forrm, I found the sports screen created a fair bit of turbulance. However, the screen height for is about right for my needs. To deflect some of the airflow at top edge of the screen, I fitted a MRA mini winddeflector.
. Getting the angle right but once set works well.

The other modifications were getting airflow under the screen. To do this, I pushed the screen out about 30mm with spacers, and knocked-up a scoop to direct airflow under the screen. The scoop solved two issues airflow and eliminating the headlight beam reflecting on the windscreen. There's also a very long thread about the process - in your interested search Nigel Scoop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Nuremberger1958: Apologies for the later response. I have the OEM sport screen with a few of Nigel-design modifications. I am around 5’7” with the OEM low seat fitted with an SW-Motech seat cushion. In standard forrm, I found the sports screen created a fair bit of turbulance. However, the screen height for is about right for my needs. To deflect some of the airflow at top edge of the screen, I fitted a MRA mini winddeflector.
. Getting the angle right but once set works well.

The other modifications were getting airflow under the screen. To do this, I pushed the screen out about 30mm with spacers, and knocked-up a scoop to direct airflow under the screen. The scoop solved two issues airflow and eliminating the headlight beam reflecting on the windscreen. These a very long thread about the process - in your intrested serach Nigel Scoop and you see more info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Mike !
I appreciate it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts