BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again!
Winter has held the country of Norway in its icy grip for the last four months and will continue for another one and a half before the weather is friendly enough to allow me out on the roads again. I did a 20k Km/winter storage service in October before storing the BMW in the garage for the season.
During the oil change service I discovered something that got me worrying a bit; I found the oil from the hypoid gear of the rear wheel drive to be very black. This may not have been a surprise considering this was a 20k Km service, but I already changed the oil once before at 14k Km. This was at the time I purchased the bike. Also then I found the oil to be black.
I checked the oil for particles and/or lumps by sifting it and also checked the magnet for steel residue but could not find any reason for alarm other than the colour itself. After refilling the oil as pr. BMW RepRom I secured the bike with the rear wheel off the ground and ran the engine on idle whilst keeping it in third gear to "flush" the gear house before changing oil once more.
I decided to wait until spring, when I can start using the bike again and ride it for a few hundred Km's to see what happens. Until then, I will maintain a tiny, nagging worry.
Is there anybody else who have checked the condition of the rear wheel hypoid drive. Someone out there who has any experience with this?
I could need an experience transfer.......
Brgds All!
Halonk

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Rear drive gear oil was dark

Hello Halonk, Good to hear from you again. My 2012 bike now has 26K+.
My dealer has serviced my new DOHC, so I can not comment on it.
From experience with my '95 R1100R and '04 R1150R bikes, the rear drive gear oil was always dark colored when I drained it. I have filtered it and did not find anything out of the ordinary. The magnet had a soft black sludge coating, but 16+ years later, never had any driveline issues. Always used BMW hypoid oil. No reason to think you should be alarmed by just the dark color, IMO. Shiny metal particles may be cause for alarm, but you are probably good to go. Just keep it changed as scheduled. BTW, Do you think maybe long cold winters give rise to needless worry? Hope spring arrives soon.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I *THINK* its a moly additive to the oil. I have only changed mine once. Oil was dark almost milky grey.

I have the same problem as you, can't ride the bike until spring...,

I changed the oil at 6400 miles when I took the rear tire off for repair and did some work o the rear shock.

Tire has only about 1,000 miles left on it or less. When I replace the tire, I will change the rear drive fluid again and see how dark it is. I used a regular synthetic gear oil of proper weight. Its almost clear when I put it in.

David

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You, Clem and David:)
This is reassuring info and I will continue riding without giving it much thought, just continue my oil changing routines as before

I've had an incident after winter storage, but on another bike years back.
I admit I am a bit psychotic about oil on my bikes and I seldom ride an oil change to the limit. I always change oil and filter(s) before winter storage to avoid any reaction between the oil and mechanical parts/galvanic effects should the oil contain water. It also means there is clean oil at beginning of the next season.
The bike in question was a Honda CB1100F which had been stored in similar conditions.
When taking the bike out of winter storage I usually check the oil before starting and let the engine run idle until warm. This time the oil was initially clear, but after running idle I found it had turned «Grey», a clear sign of water content. I drained off the oil and left standing it for 24 hours, the oil cleared and i could see a puddle of water settled in the bottom of the container
The only explanation is that winters here sometimes bring huge differences in temperature. It can change from minus 20C one day to plus 8C the next which will cause condensation inside the engine and subsequently water runoff into the oil.
This happened only once and ever since kept me on my toes come spring........

Brgds
Halonk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts