BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Any thoughts on using Evans waterless engine coolant? It was recommended for my XX which runs hot to start with. Supposedly better on the engine than traditional antifreeze, but the down side is that you can't mix it with anything else, so if you need to top off the system on a trip, you can't just add anything from the local auto parts store (unless they carry Evans).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone changed the coolant on an LC? I looked at the BMW procedure which involves having a vacuum pump & an air compressor to hand to bleed the system, but having neither decided to go with the traditional Haynes manual method of filling ,waggling the bike, running the engine for a bit then topping it up.

Unfortunately doing it that way, I've drained 1.6 litres of coolant out of the system and can only get 1.1 litres back in whatever I do, I've had the bike leaned over both sides almost on its pots, squeezed hoses, run it to temperature etc but there is still 400ml of air trapped in the system somewhere.

Looking on GS sites suggests that the only way to fill and bleed an LC properly and prevent hotspots and cavitation is to use a vacuum fill procedure - anyone here know any better?
I replaced the coolant in my R1200r by the method in the Haynes manual which is similar to method of most Japanese machines. I was only able to drain about a liter and replacement quantity about the same. Flushed with distilled water 3 times and ran the engine until the fan kicks in at 212° F. Tops out at 214° then drops to 199° and let it cycle this way a couple of times. Then after letting it cool for a couple of hours I filled radiator with Engine Ice. Still, it only takes one liter, a little frustrating.
I filled the overflow tank about half way. I went for a ride and everything seemed normal no overheating and temp settling in at 172 to 180 or so.
A couple of things worth noting though. Whenever I start in the morning the temperature will rise to approximately 192 or so and then drop quickly to about 165 and then rise to the normal temperature. I'm guessing the thermostat opens at about 188. I just never noticed this before. The level in the overflow kept dropping slightly after each ride for a week. Then it stabilized. I assume it self purged the air bubbles. I eventually checked the coolant concentration with a refractometer and it read 50/50 concentration of antifreeze and water. Seems good to go. I welcome any comments. Thanks

21 - 22 of 22 Posts